Infusion sites leaking insulin?

Bvanmil2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey everybody, I’m new and haven’t posted anything yet, but I’ve been having the same issues for the past while and I’m unsure as what to do. I've been type 1 for 14 years now and for abut 8 years I also put infusion sites on my stomach. Then they started to leak insulin, the insulin wasn’t going into my skin but coming on my skin out of the site and down my arm. My doctors suggested to change site spots so I then changed to my arms because I am a dancer and cannot use my legs. Recently the sites on my arms r now leaking again. The hospital doctors still say they have never seen it before and they don’t know. Has anyone experienced this or has any suggestions on what to do?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everybody, I’m new and haven’t posted anything yet, but I’ve been having the same issues for the past while and I’m unsure as what to do. I've been type 1 for 14 years now and for abut 8 years I also put infusion sites on my stomach. Then they started to leak insulin, the insulin wasn’t going into my skin but coming on my skin out of the site and down my arm. My doctors suggested to change site spots so I then changed to my arms because I am a dancer and cannot use my legs. Recently the sites on my arms r now leaking again. The hospital doctors still say they have never seen it before and they don’t know. Has anyone experienced this or has any suggestions on what to do?
Hey @Bvanmil2, a warm welcome to the forum:)

Have you any issues with lipohypertrophy? There is always the possibility that if you have bad scarring at infusion sites, that the end of the cannula could be bumping up against scar tissue - forcing the insulin to leak out. I would have thought that you'd be experiencing a hefty amount of hyperglycemia though, is that the case?

Have you tried placing a set in a place that you don't typically use? Top of your buttocks, hip areas, etc?

I don't pump so my advice is pretty weak, but what about a change of infusion set?

Reactions: Bvanmil2

Bvanmil2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
maybe try a different type of infusion set

Thank you for the idea and it is a great idea but I used to be on the cozmo pump with different sites and it started leaking then and when I changed to Medtronic and changed sites it still leaked so I don’t think I will change again. It was a good idea though

Bvanmil2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey @Bvanmil2, a warm welcome to the forum:)

Have you any issues with lipohypertrophy? There is always the possibility that if you have bad scarring at infusion sites, that the end of the cannula could be bumping up against scar tissue - forcing the insulin to leak out. I would have thought that you'd be experiencing a hefty amount of hyperglycemia though, is that the case?

Have you tried placing a set in a place that you don't typically use? Top of your buttocks, hip areas, etc?

I don't pump so my advice is pretty weak, but what about a change of infusion set?

I think you’re right because I have lipohypertrophy on my stomach where the leaking sites first started and it may be on my arms now so I think that you’re probably right, I never thought of that thank you. I just don’t know what I’m supposed to do about that or if there is anything I can do about it

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you’re right because I have lipohypertrophy on my stomach where the leaking sites first started and it may be on my arms now so I think that you’re probably right, I never thought of that thank you. I just don’t know what I’m supposed to do about that or if there is anything I can do about it
I'm surprised your diabetologist never considered this as a possibility - was it not mentioned?

Lipohypertrophy can subside if you give the sites a good rest - so if this is the case for you, it would be best practice to use alternative sites and see if matters improve. If you still have issues, then I'd imagine that the problem lies with the infusion sets you're currently using - or even your application technique.

As I'm not a pumper, I'll tag some forum members who are - and who will be much better placed to advise than me:)

@himtoo, @noblehead, @Juicyj, @Snapsy.

As you can see from the below image, there is a lot of surface area that can be used for injections/infusion sets. But as creatures of habit; we tend to favour the ones most convenient or easily accessible. This in turn can cause us re-use the same ones too often, resulting in things like lipohypertrophy.

insulin_sites_index2.png

Reactions: himtoo and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Bvanmil2 - can you advise what sets you are using ? I use medtronic sure-t sets and never have an issue however would be interested to know what sets you use and we can see if other members have the same issue :)

Reactions: himtoo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
PEPPERS BEING USED TO BULK OUT FOOD ASSUMING THAT EVERYONE LIKES THEM!!
Hi
I use Animas vibe and had the same issue. Mine was resolved by using combo bolus over 10 mins which seemed to work for me.

Reactions: Bvanmil2