HBa1c normal but fasting still too high.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
TOFI is a good, simple description of people who are 'Thin on the Outside but Fat on the Inside'. I learned a (for me) a clearer definition just recently and that is MONW ie Metabolically Obese Normal Weight. I fall into this category. It took me a while to accept that I was T2 until I got my head around this. I am as obese at my weight as those who are obese on the outside. The risks for both are exactly the same which posits the theory that there may be hundreds of thousands of people walking around undiagnosed simply because of the way they 'look'. Scary.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Grateful, still inspirational I feel! To get down to 30 from 67? Absolutely. As for the 10 years thing - yeah - I guess that is true for us all? And not too much info! Not at all. That's what many of us are online here for - to read and glean as much from fellow diabetics/people with diabetes. as possible.

I track my weight-diabetes thing (if I can call it that, lol) by height to waist ratio, and my measuring tape is far more used than my scales. (I am a muscular type and have always weighed more than I look, so BMIs don't tend to reflect that so well).

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TOFI is a good, simple description of people who are 'Thin on the Outside but Fat on the Inside'. I learned a (for me) a clearer definition just recently and that is MONW ie Metabolically Obese Normal Weight. I fall into this category. It took me a while to accept that I was T2 until I got my head around this. I am as obese at my weight as those who are obese on the outside. The risks for both are exactly the same which posits the theory that there may be hundreds of thousands of people walking around undiagnosed simply because of the way they 'look'. Scary.

One of the things it really highlights is that we still don't know much about what causes T2. There is clearly an "association" between visible obesity and T2, but association does not prove the direction of causation (obesity => diabetes or alternatively, diabetes => obesity).

In my case, a strong association between couch potato => T2 diabetes and high-carb-diet = > T2 diabetes. But hundreds of millions of people have far worse couch/diet behaviors and never get T2. So not clear how the causative link works.

My doctor, in a very friendly way, averred (at diagnosis) that it could very well be genetic. (I have one first-cousin with T1 and another first-cousin with T2, both of them with "normal" body types and one of them in a very physically active job.)

Interesting.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
One of the things it really highlights is that we still don't know much about what causes T2. There is clearly an "association" between visible obesity and T2, but association does not prove the direction of causation (obesity => diabetes or alternatively, diabetes => obesity).

In my case, a strong association between couch potato => T2 diabetes and high-carb-diet = > T2 diabetes. But hundreds of millions of people have far worse couch/diet behaviors and never get T2. So not clear how the causative link works.

My doctor, in a very friendly way, averred (at diagnosis) that it could very well be genetic. (I have one first-cousin with T1 and another first-cousin with T2, both of them with "normal" body types and one of them in a very physically active job.)

Interesting.

Obesity is a symptom. It really is as simple as that. High blood glucose is also a symptom, it just happens to be the last symptom to show up. No one knows what causes Diabetes of any type, it may be that a gene or group of genes are responsible but in the case of T2 is seems that there may be triggers involved. This is why blaming one aspect of a diagnosis eg diet alone is a fairly useless excercise. We can speculate on the causes but one thing that is a definite is that IR is a major player and that having control of IR whilst having a western diet is proving nigh on impossible.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks, and goodnight. BTW I am a graduate of one of the institutions founded by William of Wykeham. Good man.
Indeed, an admirable man. Goodnight and stay well.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I agree that the post meal test is the best measure to focus on, to work out how to avoid high blood sugar spikes and get good long term control which can be measured by the HbA1c. If you get your diet sorted so your after meal readings are normal (I aim for below 6.7) your weight will adjust to a normal level.
Your story is eerily similar to mine - although I only have 2 children! My youngest is now nearly 17 and I have been low carb, and non-diabetic, for 6 years now. Take a look at my blog if you want to read my story!
I really, really wish I had known about a low carb diet and this forum, when my youngest was born, as I think my glucose intolerance/prediabetes would never have developed into full blown diabetes if I had. At least I know now & have stopped type 2 in its tracks...
Well done on what you have achieved & don't let poor advice (or seductive French bread!) derail you

But she can enjoy the delicious French cheeses on a low carb diet! ;) Still calories though I suppose.