Someone else who thinks like me..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was recently told off for saying I looked on some foodstuffs as "poison".
Seems I'm not the only one..

https://www.dietdoctor.com/sleight-of-hand

this line especially stood out to me..

"“It’s a curse”. I smiled. “It’s rooted in fear. I’m terrified of going back to that place of hunger and sickness and pain and obesity. When I see carbs, I see all those things"

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The western diet IS poison. How else do you get to the point of 'pandemic' as I heard one boffin put it?

Reactions: Chook and Biggles2

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you @bulkbiker.

Poison, as defined in the Oxford dictionary:

"A substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed."

Given that the vast majority of individuals don't get ill or drop dead after eating carbohydrates, to deem them poisonous is inaccurate and arbitrary.

This poor girl died after eating dairy; so going on your views - dairy is poison too? Butter.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/16/teenager-with-severe-daily-allergy-died-after-eating-a-kebab-6713755/

Reactions: Lally123

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have also used the word poison to certain foods that do effect my health just as some named poison such as arsenic and the like.
I have also used an analogy that certain foods are as such that I am allergic to them.

This does not mean they are!

It is how you put these phrases across.

Certain substances including most poisons can be tolerated in very small doses. It is only when in sufficient quantities that the substance becomes fatal or enough to affect your health.

Only by experimenting, testing and recording can you individually find the poison, allergy or intolerance.

After all it is only a label and labels should not offend you!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
From just eating carbs? There were NO other dominating factors that made you a type 2 diabetic @bulkbiker?

According to how my condition is controlled and my health is so much better because I regulate my carbs, then yes spuds did cause my condition.

Along with all the other carbs and sugars!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well shall we say I stopped eating them and now I don't show any markers of it... so I'd say yes..
So consuming carbohydrates was the only thing that gave you diabetes @bulkbiker; just to clarify? There was nothing else?

I find it unusual how not everyone is diabetic, ill or dead in that case. Your argument is flawed and your use of the noun 'poison' is simply a choice rather than fact.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So consuming carbohydrates was the only thing that gave you diabetes @bulkbiker; just to clarify? There was nothing else?

That's what my self experiment would suggest don't you think?
Why..do you think there were other causes? Please share

I find it unusual how not everyone is diabetic, ill or dead in that case.

Not everybody will find such foodstuffs as bad for them.. hence the "I" in my statements.

Reactions: Glenmac

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to how my condition is controlled and my health is so much better because I regulate my carbs, then yes spuds did cause my condition.

Along with all the other carbs and sugars!
Sorry @Lamont D; I don't recall asking what potatoes did to you.

Reactive hypoglycaemia; I know nothing about. I was trying to ascertain whether carbs, by themselves, caused T2 diabetes with the member I was conversing with. It says in your signature that you are not diabetic, hence I never asked you.

Reactions: Lally123

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Isn't it a matter of levels, too? A handful of Brazil nuts will not kill you but selenium held within and taken in quantity induces the same symptoms as radioactive poisoning and can be fatal. A foodstuff taken alone may not cause illness but alongside others with the same level of toxicity can cause disease.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what my self experiment would suggest don't you think?
Why..do you think there were other causes? Please share
Apparently there are various different risk factors and potential causes for developing T2D, they can be seen here:

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-type2/Pages/Causes.aspx

To say that eating things like bread or rice was the only thing that made you diabetic is narrow minded. Everyone who eats carbs does not have diabetes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Apparently there are various different risk factors and potential causes for developing T2D, they can be seen here:

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-type2/Pages/Causes.aspx

To say that eating things like bread or rice was the only thing that made you diabetic is narrow minded. Everyone who eats carbs does not have diabetes.

Sorry, I can't agree. Not everyone who smokes developes lung cancer, does that mean smoking does not cause cancer? You can allow that foodstuffs trigger disease but not that the quantity of some foodstuffs is somehow to be taken out of the equation?

Reactions: Biggles2

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is quite educational watching "That Sugar Film". Damon Gameau swapped their low carb diet with one eating the same number of calories, but high carb for 60 days. The result was a extremely unhealthy.

Another film "Fat Head" had someone eat 2000 calories/day junk food for a month, but mostly fat and low carb. Surprisingly, he lost weight.

Some people can tolerate the typical high carb western diet, but many people either get fat, have glucose spikes or get diabetes as a result. A recent NHK documentary on glucose spikes suggest 80% of CVD is associated with people with diabetes, pre-diabetes or have glucose spikes. Strokes, cancer and dementia are also associated with glucose spikes. The reduced life expectancy of type 1 and type 2 diabetes sufferers is linked to glucose spikes and the damage it causes.

Eating a high carb diet wont kill you in the short-term, but may severely reduce your life expectancy and quality of life in the long term.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can allow that foodstuffs trigger disease but not that the quantity of some foodstuffs is somehow to be taken out of the equation?
Sorry I don't understand exactly what you mean here?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I refer to the sheer numbers of carbs in the western diet.
There are a lot of carbs in the Western diet. But I think the lines between overeating and excessive carb intake are often blurred and muddled.

And regarding the smoking, that is harmful and many of the chemicals within tobacco are known to be poisonous. But to compare sandwiches with cigarettes is daft. And moreover, not the point I'm making.

Reactions: TIANDB

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whether the term poison is OK or not I suppose depends on who you are talking to. If it's a newbie (whether T1 or T2) on insulin then I don't feel the word 'poison' is appropriate. They need carbs as they are already having the antidote to the 'poison'. They need to stabilise their BGs before they think of reducing carbs otherwise they could have a serious hypo.

Interestingly, I once referred to carbs as poison on here and the word was amended to say 'toxic' lol.