Margarine takes a hit

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was brought up on butter (born just after the war) and never had anything else until the low fat thing came about and I went to Weight Watchers. Even then I cheated. I can't tell you how delighted I was to discover the low carb diet! Spreads taste disgusting to me, and always have.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ages ago I watched program which showed you how the spreads are made. That put me off for life. A yukky grey gloop until they add colouring.
I'm a butter girl :) Lidl do a lovely West country butter with sea salt

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ages ago I watched program which showed you how the spreads are made. That put me off for life. A yukky grey gloop until they add colouring.

Yes, I saw that programme too. The yukki grey sloop is an understatement.
I'm a Kerrygold girl myself.

sarahmorter2

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
well, after the 'i find that thinking of carbs as 'poison' helps me stay in control of my T2' thread, you REALLY don't want to know what margarine is known as in our household! :D

mind you, I am quite interested to know what people consider to be margarine?
I have always understood the word to cover any spread made by treating fats and oils in such a way that they become spreadable, whether by mechanical or chemical means. so for me, even the so called 'healthy' spreads like Flora and Olivio are still just as much margarine as things like Stork and Own Brand Yellow Stuff.

you can tell I'm a butter girl, through and through. In fact the only time i ever bought marge was as a student. an impoverished student. and i ended up preferring to go without, rather than use marge.

edited to add: can anyone remember 'Gold'? so full of colourings it was almost Day-Glo, and a taste so far removed from butter it might have been cart axle grease. my mother bought it proudly!
I remember Gold.. my mother was also an advocate.. I always thought it tasted vaguely like cheese, didn't like it tho :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You must be one of the newer people. I know some people that still eat it.
And swear by it too, like my husband. If he ever eats "butter", it's one of those so-called healthy bastardized butter type spreads...

Robbity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And swear by it too, like my husband. If he ever eats "butter", it's one of those so-called healthy bastardized butter type spreads...

Robbity
Until recently I had a lodger who made his sandwiches in the morning for eating at work for lunch. Thick slices of white bread and margarine from a bucket sized tub. I pretended that I hadn't witnessed it. Oddly I can't remember what he put in his sandwiches.

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
In a certain UK supermarket (big 6) near me they have a large section dedicated to marge and spreadable butter analogs, but only one lonely small box of true butter that was v highly priced above the marge products (Oleo and Flora excepted of course). There was no lard or cooking fat or suet. The butter was salted, but they did have Lurpak spreadable in tubs which is close but still highly processed and preserved. In other supermarkets I visit, they too have a greater choice of marge and spreadables, but the one I use for 95% of my shopping has a good choice of butter both salted and unsalted, and even has lsrd on sale. Of course it is not an 'English' shop. (Yes I know Asda is American now, and Iceland is not from Iceland)
They sell Lard in Iceland's
Also they sell few butters including unsalted the price of butter has sure jumped over the last 12 Months..
http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/butters-and-margarines

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
edited to add: can anyone remember 'Gold'? so full of colourings it was almost Day-Glo, and a taste so far removed from butter it might have been cart axle grease. my mother bought it proudly!
Oh yes! I used to buy that in my calorie counting days. :rolleyes: Disgusting stuff, but it did have the added advantage of reducing my intake of bread because the spread itself was so disgusting. Now if only calorie counting had actually worked long term... :banghead:

Reactions: Bluetit1802

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gosh, butter shortages when we had butter mountains back within my lifetime!!

Kerrygold is from grass fed cows so is a favourite of mine. I have looked at organic but Tesco only sell their own beand and I must admit I am a bit wary of Tesco getting this own brand organic butter when they dont source any other.

The only thing with Kerrygold though is that it is salted and so many recipes state unsalted..

So my question is with unsalted butter in recipes-is this necessary or did this "fad" only come in when salt concerns were raised as well??

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my question is with unsalted butter in recipes-is this necessary or did this "fad" only come in when salt concerns were raised as well??
I don't know for sure but I reckon that's what happened. I just ignore the unsalted bit and use my usual salted butter for all recipes.

Interestingly (or not!) margarine was the topic that first got me interested in this forum. I had lurked and posted a little before this, but this was the thread that kept me here.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/margarine-on-the-way-out.51897/

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't know for sure but I reckon that's what happened. I just ignore the unsalted bit and use my usual salted butter for all recipes.

Interestingly (or not!) margarine was the topic that first got me interested in this forum. I had lurked and posted a little before this, but this was the thread that kept me here.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/margarine-on-the-way-out.51897/

Thanks Zand.. I know lemon drizzle cake for my friends cant apparently have salted butter and definitely not marg when making it.

Previously been to scared of ruining food to put salted butter in.. but just reading this post today has made me question why practically every recipe nowadays says unsalted butter....

Inspired now Zand to change... thankyou.

I remember my 1st posts in 2010 was cos of the likelihood of losing my licence!! Your is better for marg!!

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Zand.. I know lemon drizzle cake for my friends cant apparently have salted butter and definitely not marg when making it.

Previously been to scared of ruining food to put salted butter in.. but just reading this post today has made me question why practically every recipe nowadays says unsalted butter....

Inspired now Zand to change... thankyou.

I remember my 1st posts in 2010 was cos of the likelihood of losing my licence!! Your is better for marg!!
I should add that I am quite capable of ruining any recipe at all with or without the 'proper' ingredients. :rolleyes: I hope I haven't misled you, I just happen to prefer salted butter :).

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's in the fridge ready to be tried. Glad it's good....now something low carb to go with it

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That's it! I'm going to stock up on kerrygold, Brittany Butter and Lard.

Anyone know of a decent beef dripping? Even the little old fashioned butcher in the village closeby has stopped selling it.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped using unsalted butter when it was 10 p dearer than salted !
CAROL