Margarine takes a hit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.fooddive.com/news/with-...-could-unilever-sell-the-unit-as-othe/412314/

"However, margarine has been on the losing end of the rise of butter. In 2015, U.S. unit sales of butter and butter blends jumped 4.2% while margarine unit sales sank 8.9%, according to IRI. Last year, for the first time, the industry also saw butter prices drop below margarine prices, Unilever CEO Paul Polman told The Wall Street Journal."

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You must be one of the newer people. I know some people that still eat it.
I remember my mum buying blue band which I think was margarine but that was a very long time ago! Maybe I've not seen it because I don't really use it I use olive oil spread or that delicious butter with naughty sea salt crystals in!

Reactions: TIANDB
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember my mum buying blue band which I think was margarine but that was a very long time ago! Maybe I've not seen it because I don't really use it I use olive oil spread or that delicious butter with naughty sea salt crystals in!
Naughty sea salt crystals? I like the sound of that.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I recently switched to Kerrygold from Morrisons Brittany Butter with Sea Salt crystals. The BB is lovely, so tasty.

Reactions: Freema

Hotpepper20000

Becel brand is still readily available here.
They even are trying to make it seem healthier with adding olive oil or avocado oil to it now.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't even know you could still buy margarine!
In a certain UK supermarket (big 6) near me they have a large section dedicated to marge and spreadable butter analogs, but only one lonely small box of true butter that was v highly priced above the marge products (Oleo and Flora excepted of course). There was no lard or cooking fat or suet. The butter was salted, but they did have Lurpak spreadable in tubs which is close but still highly processed and preserved. In other supermarkets I visit, they too have a greater choice of marge and spreadables, but the one I use for 95% of my shopping has a good choice of butter both salted and unsalted, and even has lsrd on sale. Of course it is not an 'English' shop. (Yes I know Asda is American now, and Iceland is not from Iceland)

Reactions: Guzzler and Freema

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently switched to Kerrygold from Morrisons Brittany Butter with Sea Salt crystals. The BB is lovely, so tasty.

Not heard of the butter with sea salt crystals before. Sounds delicious.

Reactions: Freema and Guzzler

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.fooddive.com/news/with-...-could-unilever-sell-the-unit-as-othe/412314/

"However, margarine has been on the losing end of the rise of butter. In 2015, U.S. unit sales of butter and butter blends jumped 4.2% while margarine unit sales sank 8.9%, according to IRI. Last year, for the first time, the industry also saw butter prices drop below margarine prices, Unilever CEO Paul Polman told The Wall Street Journal."
Actually there was a report from the gnomes in Zurich that this was going to happen and it was directly atributed to the rise of LC diets. The current shortage of butter was also seen and a warning issued to the producers to get ready to increase their supply.
https://www.credit-suisse.com/corpo...rtise/fat-the-new-health-paradigm-201509.html

Reactions: Squire Fulwood

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently went to local supermarket and got told, by a member of staff, that "we dont sell margarine, we only sell spread cos marg isnt good for you" trufax.

PS My son picked out the avatar for me, he think I am weird - he may be right.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well, after the 'i find that thinking of carbs as 'poison' helps me stay in control of my T2' thread, you REALLY don't want to know what margarine is known as in our household! :D

mind you, I am quite interested to know what people consider to be margarine?
I have always understood the word to cover any spread made by treating fats and oils in such a way that they become spreadable, whether by mechanical or chemical means. so for me, even the so called 'healthy' spreads like Flora and Olivio are still just as much margarine as things like Stork and Own Brand Yellow Stuff.

you can tell I'm a butter girl, through and through. In fact the only time i ever bought marge was as a student. an impoverished student. and i ended up preferring to go without, rather than use marge.

edited to add: can anyone remember 'Gold'? so full of colourings it was almost Day-Glo, and a taste so far removed from butter it might have been cart axle grease. my mother bought it proudly!

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I don't remember Gold but I was brought up on Stork. My mother lost her taste for butter (and sugar) during the war so I didn't even taste real butter until my twenties. I beleive they still sell Stork but heaven knows what's in it.