FreeStyle Libre - My Life with the Machine

P

Peter_Sylvester

BUT £115:90p - vat per month for the sensors? Am I right?
@jwillyf - I believe that, once you register on the Abbott website as diabetic, you no longer pay the vat. And the code gets you free delivery, as far as I know.

49f25ebeaa54554ca05efb07ee4fd325.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Peter_Sylvester

LIBRE : Another little WIN..?
(2nd Nov 2017 - Day 8)
So now my focus is on trying understand, and counteract, my susceptibility for the "Dawn Phenomenon".

My Libre stats are showing that my waking hours increase my bloods to around 9.0, from an overnight average of around 6.5.
When I then have breakfast, it "spikes" further, and has been as high as 14.5 (where is the panic button..?)

Now, however, with the help of a little analysis from Libre, I have started to review my evening eating regime and timings, and assess the impacts of changing the timings of my breakfast.

I have added a small oat biscuit cake to my evening bedtime regime, which seemed counter intuitive, but seems to work really well so far.

039b088bcd73bf7b87e89206a626c873.jpg

So after 2 days of experimentation, I have managed to take a good chunk out of the initial morning spike, reviewed the time that I take my Metformin, and amended my breakfast regime.

The bottom line result (so far after just 2 days) is that I have, for two days running, managed to avoid my (combined) morning spike exceeding 9.0 - with the result that the rest of my day has been easier to manage.

Still learning - still experimenting - and still moving forward...
Peter

Reactions: Speedbird

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Libre stats are showing that my waking hours increase my bloods to around 9.0, from an overnight average of around 6.5.
When I then have breakfast, it "spikes" further, and has been as high as 14.5 (where is the panic button..?)

What worked for me was simply skipping a couple of dinners in a row...and have eggs,butter and cheese for breakfast...
upload_2017-11-2_23-44-34.png

P

Peter_Sylvester

Great post @kokhongw - another option for my "experimentation"..!

Also - thanks for the image - what app is that..?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Having had a meeting with an Abbott rep and two nurses today the situation remains that no COG has approved the Libre for prescription for anyone.
However one nurse had heard from a patient (type 1 with existing complications) that he may be prescribed it at his GPS discretion. The nurse is keen to see if that happens for use as leverage.
Abbott also say they are working with the DVLA on approval for driving.

Reactions: Peter_Sylvester

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having had a meeting with an Abbott rep and two nurses today the situation remains that no COG has approved the Libre for prescription for anyone.
However one nurse had heard from a patient (type 1 with existing complications) that he may be prescribed it at his GPS discretion. The nurse is keen to see if that happens for use as leverage.
Abbott also say they are working with the DVLA on approval for driving.
I think DVLA approval might make it more cost effective but it's still pricey. I would also personally want to see it working every time and not giving low readings on every third sensor which is how it works out for me. It's fine saying it's reporting 2 mmol lower than finger pricks but if the law says I have to be 5 then I still need test strips to prove I was driving safely when the libre said I was 3...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think DVLA approval might make it more cost effective but it's still pricey. I would also personally want to see it working every time and not giving low readings on every third sensor which is how it works out for me. It's fine saying it's reporting 2 mmol lower than finger pricks but if the law says I have to be 5 then I still need test strips to prove I was driving safely when the libre said I was 3...
We had a long discussion about accuracy, with Abbott saying "so were hands washed and dried before meter test? When was metre last checked against test solution for accuracy? Etc" so their view is a factory calibrated sensor is no more likely to be out than a meter that is several years old. That say the arrow function is beneficial for drivers. I am only repeating their view here, I have had inaccuracies myself with the Libre.

Last edited:

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We had a long discussion about accuracy, with Abbott saying "so we're hands washed and dried before meter test? When was metre last checked against test solution for accuracy? Etc" so their view is a factory calibrated sensor is no more Lily to be out than a meter that is several years old. That say the arrow function is beneficial for drivers. I am only repeating their view here, I have had inaccuracies myself with the Libre.
I ended up with 3 meters, 2 with control solution and scrubbed hands and the libre was showing 2.6 and the meters between 6 and 7.2. Now if I was solely relying on libre, which I would love to, I would have been eating to get to 5 to drive. Happened to 3 out of 5 sensors. When they work they are life changing, when they don't they seem to error spectacularly. I would love DVLA approval and consistently accurate sensors and would gladly spend the money. I am currently 24 hours without one as the cost and accuracy don't measure up but I still dream....

Reactions: Diakat

KAZY.T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My star
What is in the Starter Pack...?
My Starter Pack arrived directly from Abbott the day after ordering.
It contained:
1 x Reader.
2 x Sensor Packs.
4383cc5624dc01eea5eee4fcb1a3fbec.jpg

The Reader
The reader is a small black gizmo, which is about half the size of an i-phone 6.
It is re-chargeable with USB connected to a standard micro-charger connector.
The instructions say to charge it for 2 hours before use, but mine worked straight out of the box.
It is less-than-wallet sized, and fits comfortably in the front pocket of my jeans.
e6bdecaf91e2e99b343123da5d76dffc.jpg

The Sensor Pack(s)
I received 2 separate boxes, containing the 2 sensors which come as part of the Starter Pack.
Each sensor box comes in two sealed plastic "cups", which, when you unseal them, you push together to insert the (very small) needle into the applicator part.
You need to use the medicated wipes (included) to clean the area where you intend to apply the sensor, then press firmly to secure the sensor in place. It says to secure the sensor to the back of your upper arm.
From my research on the web, I recommend holding it in place for around 60 secs, to ensure it fixed. However, I didn't, and mine has still remained firmly fixed after now 7 days.
Each sensor lasts 2 weeks, and the reader gives you a "countdown" to how many days the sensor has left in it.

Getting Started
The instructions say to wait 24 hours to allow the sensor to "settle" - however, (like most people I guess), I took my 1st reading as soon as the sensor had gathered enough "data", which I think was about 1 hour.
I think what it means is that the accuracy of the readings may take 24 hours to "settle", but I didn't read it right in my enthusiasm to get going.

So there I have it...
Easy delivery, easy to figure out, easy (and painless) to fit, so now all I have to do is use it..!
My starterpack arrived but with only one sensor in so have been waiting until 1st Nov to start using this one. I have had this kit a few months ago from the hospital as I have the dawn phenonima and we were trying to figure out what was going on (more study needed) so hoping after buying my own I could get the info I need. Will update in a couple of weeks

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Peter_Sylvester

Thanks for the updates. I’ve been using the Libre since April. In addition to @Squire Fulwood’s advice to fit your next sensor 24 hours before needed (I add mine a full 48 hours beforehand), my “top tip” is to protect your investment by covering the sensor with a dressing to protect it against accidents e.g. catching on door frames, and to give additional waterproofing.

I recommend 3M Tegaderm 6x7cm at approx 60p in most chemists.

P

Peter_Sylvester

Thank you @Ledzeptt - this is a good suggestion.

So far, I seem to have been very lucky - no catching on my sleeves, bumping into doorways, and I haven't really needed extra waterproofing (other than getting caught in a mighty downpour whilst out walking the dog..!)

Nevertheless, I will be taking your advice, and dropping in to the Pharmacy to get some supplies.
I appreciate your suggestion
Thanks
Peter

Reactions: Ledzeptt
P

Peter_Sylvester

LIBRE : A Risotto mistake avoided (next time)
(Friday 3rd November 2017)

So here I am now, 10 days into my active use of the Libre gizmo, and I have been feeling pretty pleased with myself.

I now have more information on the impacts of certain foods, better knowledge of the effects of timing on my daily blood movements, and by taking that info on board, I have made remarkable progress on taking the "spikes" out of my day.

In the last 48 hours, I have been particularly pleased with being able to stay within what I call my "tramlines" all day (in other words, the target range that I set on the system).

Until last night, that is...

dcc081583a73e165f3660946445afa5d.jpg
I am quite partial to Prawn Risotto, and it has made a regular appearance on my dinner table.
However, after last nights "discovery" it is now on the banned list..!

My bloods went up from 6.4 to 13.2, in a one hour spike straight after dinner...!!!

It then took me 3 hours and a (very vigorous) walk to get things back inside the tramlines.

BOTHER - I MUST READ THE PACKAGING BETTER.

It is not Libre's fault, but without Libre, I would never have known that I have (probably) been experiencing this ridiculous spike 2 or 3 times a week...

So, onwards and upwards - all learning is good, even painful learning is good (apparently)

I am pleased to say that there has been no lasting "damage" this morning or throughout the day - but there is no need to make it hard for yourself, is there..????

Peter (Wise-After-The-Event) Sylvester

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ledzeptt

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Peter_Sylvester, you have spurred me on to get a Libre .... thank you. I have been 'umming and arring' for a while now but your experience has made me realise that I need to do this experiment!

Reactions: TIANDB
P

Peter_Sylvester

@CoastGirl - WOW - Thanks for your comment.
If my stupidity can help you (and others) avoid making the same mistakes, then I am happy to have helped.

I think you are right treating it as an experiment - thats how I started. I felt my way into it, and tried to keep an open heart and an open mind. I was amazed at the insights it gave me - and how much better I can be at managing my own condition. That said, I have so much more to do and learn..!

Good luck - and let me know if I can help.
Peter

Reactions: CoastGirl

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Peter_Sylvester: This is a great thread. I am one of the obstinates who prefer not to self-test, but that could change in the future, either out of personal choice or for medical necessity.

One of the most confusing names in the diabetes lexicon, when I first started learning, was "Freestyle Libre" (what a weird, weird name, I must say -- not to mention redundant since "Libre" means "Free" in French). Now, I know what it is and can pre-assess the various meters in case I ever need one.

Reactions: Peter_Sylvester
P

Peter_Sylvester

Hi @Grateful
Obstinate is my middle name..!
However, I have realised that my treatment is being guided by someone who sees me every 6 months - when actually I can refine my own judgements every day..!
So I decided to take control of my own treatment. It really is so liberating..!

Bonne chance mon ami. J’espère que tous va bien pour toi..!