We love our four-legged friends

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They do have a way of taking over your life and leave massive empty bits when they go. I still very much miss all the dogs and cars I've shared my life and home with.

I was so, so ill and really in a bad way after the last of my dogs died that I went 5 years without any dogs.
Came home from cancer therapy one afternoon and just thought "I'm going to get a puppy, and one that I have always wanted"... (Newfoundland) so I looked online, saw Daisy as a Newfiepoo (I call her a Noodle)... paid a deposit and then emailed pucture of her to hubby at work. He said "she's gorgeous"... then I told him I'd already put deposit down and he would have to drive back to Wales to pick her up on the 3rd day after my 2nd mastectomy.

Best thing we have ever done. I have my purpose back in life.. I have grown in strength (in mind and body) along with Daisy growing.. I know more people now than I have ever done. After my 1st mastectomy when things went so badly wrong I didnt leave my new home (moved day before 1st op) for a year besides going to hospitals and GPs constantly.

Even on 2nd op people told me I was mad and should delay getting another dog. Even my mum with dementia living a long way away can remember my Daisy and says how pleased she is that I got a dog back in my life.

The only thing I havent yet sorted is writing her into my will incase something happens to us both. I havent got anybody that I trust that would accept being jumped on in bed at 3am each morning!! Its something I am adamant about is that my Daisy doesnt have to change.... and so far even from all the people I now know there isnt anybody that is at home and would accept the 3am waking alarm jump from Daisy dog!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oops!! Another derailment!! Sorry!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very. I decided that if I had to go on insulin in the future I'd have her trained to be a hypo alert dog. I absolutely adore her and as an assistance dog she could go everywhere with me.
I have two low carb assistance dogs - every time the get the merest whiff of my high fat meals they come running to help in case I can't manage to eat them on my own...

Burt seriously I have the greatest admiration for all such working dogs and their trainers and helpers. When I took my first two dogs to obedience classes we used to get a lot of puppies being socalised as part of their initial training for guide dogs, and a lady who worked with Norwegian buhunds which were training to be hearing dogs which I think was a fairly new venture at the time.

And so we don't peeve @Oldvatr too much I've seen posts on the forum about hypo assistance cats too.....

Robbity

D

Diabeticliberty

Daisy is 9 months old now and weighing 75lb. Fully grown will probably be about 100lb..

Proctor & Gamble were interested in her as a similar dog to the one in flash advert... but she is my therapy dog in my mind. She wakes now at 2.55 and jumps on bed to make sure I do my 1st injections... I am (trying!) to train her as a hypo/hyper alert dog too. (Licks my face though-doesnt get my blood kit)...

If I am well enough in 18 months time and health not deteriorated further I would like her to have a litter of pups as she is so very, very special (to me and hubby!!).

My diabetic consultant did mention to me how they actually recomend a dog for health and wellbeing now. Every letter to my GP from consultants mentions Daisy as well!!

Sorry for derailing (I used to do this a lot!!-lol).... but I am also concerned of good genuine folk saying good-bye and this is upsetting. Its bad enough when folk get banned but folk shouldnt be made to feel upset or bad from a forum of some wonderful people. I have had good n bad vibes from forum people sometimes but please take a break and come back if needed.. please dont permanently walk away...

I wish you good health and much strength. You certainly deserve both. Please take very good care of you and yours :)

I think I might be guilty of a little bit of derailment too.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Administrator Please can we unhook this major derailment from here and give it its own thread somewhere else, I tried to start some serious discussion relating to Diabetes and this Forum, but I failed BIG TIME.

I am very surprised that established members here have decided to perpetuate and feed such an infringement. If it does not stop then I will be out of here. Unless of course. there is a secret agenda to hijack and destroy this thread, in which case my original point in the OP has been well and truly buried in dog poo, and I will wash my hands of it. These boots were made for walking......

I apologise for my part in it. You need to tag @DCUKMod not the administrator though.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Administrator Please can we unhook this major derailment from here and give it its own thread somewhere else, I tried to start some serious discussion relating to Diabetes and this Forum, but I failed BIG TIME.

I am very surprised that established members here have decided to perpetuate and feed such an infringement. If it does not stop then I will be out of here. Unless of course. there is a secret agenda to hijack and destroy this thread, in which case my original point in the OP has been well and truly buried in dog poo, and I will wash my hands of it. These boots were made for walking......

Oldvatr - Your comment is noted, but it really would be helpful where you have issues with posts if you would report them. Nobody is here full time, and on threads that can be faster moving Mods will not necessarily catch everything.

As Mods, we really appreciate your assistance with this; whether on your own thread, or those started by others.

Just for clarity, this post applies to everyone.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was nothing wrong with any of the posts, except that they were in the wrong place.

If you feel a post is derailing or devaluing a thread, then please report it for assessment - especially on a long thread, such as this. That could help us react promptly.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All posts preceding this have been moved to create this one, due to significant thread derailment.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there still a place for my two handicapped pigeons (can't fly ) and my chickens now the thread is about FOUR -legged friends?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, Anyone got a low carb recipe for Labradoodle Pie?

Maybe you could try adapting my youngest sister's apple pie recipe,
pastry
then apple
then pastry again
used as homework many years ago, and I've been laughing at this easiest ever pie recipe ever since!

So adapted for low carb Labradoodle, you'd use:
lowcab pastry
Labradoodle
low carb pastry again
Simples!

Robbity

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've got a Boris. Well she's called Breeze and she's black.

Oh my..

We've had dogs forever, but with our Daisy I have for the first time ever bought a Christmas jumper.. not just for her but for hubby and me too!

Never done that before... beeautiful labradoodle.. can see more from yours why Daisy keeps getting called a large labradoodle.

Reactions: Diabeticliberty

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well, a happy fun friday to all from my girlie...
06f1d208d1d6119f36d961d27abcf2a3.jpg

And with friends canine help dogs on a Friday at Westonbirt aboreteum a few weeks ago...

69e75eefb6325e85e9ddc96891b2e486.jpg

And Daisy pretending to be a canine help dog....3 canine help dogs and she sneaked in the photo at the back on the left with her best doggy friend Bugsy.

24c325e01fc67d762a1df0ceeb2d3d17.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well, a happy fun friday to all from my girlie...
06f1d208d1d6119f36d961d27abcf2a3.jpg

And with friends canine help dogs on a Friday at Westonbirt aboreteum a few weeks ago...

69e75eefb6325e85e9ddc96891b2e486.jpg

And Daisy pretending to be a canine help dog....3 canine help dogs and she sneaked in the photo at the back on the left with her best doggy friend Bugsy.

24c325e01fc67d762a1df0ceeb2d3d17.jpg

Okay..... I've fallen in love with Daisy.... just starting discussions with Mr C as to whether we can fit in another large dog.....

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oldvatr - Your comment is noted, but it really would be helpful where you have issues with posts if you would report them. Nobody is here full time, and on threads that can be faster moving Mods will not necessarily catch everything.

As Mods, we really appreciate your assistance with this; whether on your own thread, or those started by others.

Just for clarity, this post applies to everyone.
This problem is now sorted out, and I will no longer be posting in this new thread as I am not a doggie person. Thank you all for your patience while I had my freakout.