All women with the "hunter" gene get gestational diabetes.

Do you have the "hunter" gene

• No

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • don't know

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
You are correct that there is another autoimmune disease which it might be worth exploring. It is called Type B insulin resistance - which is a rare autoimmune disorder which is characterised by extreme insulin resistance and extreme vitamin D deficiency . It appears remission - i.e. amelioration of hyperglycemia , normalisation of Hba1Cand discontinuation of insulin therapy is achievable through a combination of rituximab, cyclophoshamide and pulse steroids .

Type B it seems mainly ( but not exclusively ) presents in patients who are African and females

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2913034/
You might like to take a look at this research and see if you think that may apply to you.
Hi

I was unaware of that condition . I will try and find time to look it up. My theories hold together so completely that I doubt that I have your problem.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

I was unaware of that condition . I will try and find time to look it up. My theories hold together so completely that I doubt that I have your problem.
Hi

I have read enough of your site to note that my symptoms are not that bad and I have almost completely controled them with a low carb diet.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't agree with his theory!

I was gestational diabetic with 6 pregnancies before becoming type 2 (medically induced)... when I was diagnosed I started the low carb diet, I lost 20kg on it and got my hba1c down from 85 to 32 in just 4 months.
I was tested after and inbetween each pregnancy and found to be non diabetic and not even classed as pre-diabetic.
So after reading his "hunter" gene theory I am sorry but it isn't true... it would also mean that my mother and her mother etc would have had gestational diabetes which they didn't.
I did however read an article that girls born below a certain weight (I think the 3rd centile) we're more likely to develop gd... but also to put his theory completely to bed I was insulin controlled gestational diabetic in 4 of those 6 pregnancies with it getting progressively worse each time... until I went on the low carb diet... I just completed pregnancy no.7 with NO medication, my hba1c remained in the 30s for the duration of the pregnancy which was diet controlled (low carb) my weight was also maintained by this method.
This also undermines the consultants stance of if you have gd in one pregnancy you will get it in all AND that diabetes is progressive which I have proven to be false.

@lamont and @Hotpepper20000 I hope this helps lol.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

Thanks, you are the person I have been looking for. So there are people without the "hunter" gene who get gestational diabetes. I still say all women with the "hunter" gene get gestational diabetes.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

Thanks, you are the person I have been looking for. So there are people without the "hunter" gene who get gestational diabetes. I still say all women with the "hunter" gene get gestational diabetes.
I have mantained that all type 2 diabetics can control their diabetes with diet. In particular I am simulating a type 2 diabetic on a low carb diet. So you may have had type 2 diabetes but you controled it.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mantained that all type 2 diabetics can control their diabetes with diet. In particular I am simulating a type 2 diabetic on a low carb diet. So you may have had type 2 diabetes but you controled it.
Nope... my diet pre diabetes was very sugary... I was not healthy, I was not active and I was not fit... I became type 2 (as I wrote in my post) by being given medication. Steroids to be exacts, however the implant did start it off. That was after my last baby.
There are autoimmune disorders that is in the family as well as low birth weight (but not for my kids who were elephants), I do think there is more to this all but I don't think it is just one thing that triggers gestational diabetes. I also have a very good friend who also developed gd but she has started the low carb diet (because it worked for me) and she has also lost weight but is not diabetic.
I think that as the message of low carb spreads and more people try it that the number of gd woman will reduce. Luton and dunstable hospital have introduced the low carb program for its gd and diabetic pregnant woman (I think it may have rolled out the program to all diabetics but I can only speak about my experience) and it does work... so I think we will see it being rolled out in all hospitals soon!

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Nope... my diet pre diabetes was very sugary... I was not healthy, I was not active and I was not fit... I became type 2 (as I wrote in my post) by being given medication. Steroids to be exacts, however the implant did start it off. That was after my last baby.
There are autoimmune disorders that is in the family as well as low birth weight (but not for my kids who were elephants), I do think there is more to this all but I don't think it is just one thing that triggers gestational diabetes. I also have a very good friend who also developed gd but she has started the low carb diet (because it worked for me) and she has also lost weight but is not diabetic.
I think that as the message of low carb spreads and more people try it that the number of gd woman will reduce. Luton and dunstable hospital have introduced the low carb program for its gd and diabetic pregnant woman (I think it may have rolled out the program to all diabetics but I can only speak about my experience) and it does work... so I think we will see it being rolled out in all hospitals soon!
Hi

And I thought I had troubles. My cousin got the same reactive hypoglycemia as I have at about the same time. She controlled her diabetes during pregnancy with diet (my assumption, but she went low carb, about 40 years ago).

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
tell that to all the type 2 people I know who low carb as far as they can go, and still need meds and even insulin. Your belief is simply untrue.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
tell that to all the type 2 people I know who low carb as far as they can go, and still need meds and even insulin. Your belief is simply untrue.
He is stuck in that belief though!
He started off saying that only and all people with "hunter" gene get gd, when proven wrong he changes the statement to try to fit it to the original belief rather than conceding that the original belief is incorrect...
Low carbing worked for me, but reading comments on here and the questions on the lc forum, it doesn't work for all! What he needs to do is see how many of those people on low carb and it not work get gd and how many low carbers who have lost weight had gd... but it seems like he is on the wrong forum because he will then accuse those woman with gd and lcworking of always being diabetic (discounting them) just to make the results suit his thesis!

If @yetta2mymom you don't like this reply you must look at how your answers seem to look from my point of view... you have an idea which you want to prove right, you keep asking the question in a different ways to try to manipulate the results to reflect and so "prove" your theory.

Reactions: lucylocket61

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
He is stuck in that belief though!
He started off saying that only and all people with "hunter" gene get gd, when proven wrong he changes the statement to try to fit it to the original belief rather than conceding that the original belief is incorrect...
Low carbing worked for me, but reading comments on here and the questions on the lc forum, it doesn't work for all! What he needs to do is see how many of those people on low carb and it not work get gd and how many low carbers who have lost weight had gd... but it seems like he is on the wrong forum because he will then accuse those woman with gd and lcworking of always being diabetic (discounting them) just to make the results suit his thesis!

If @yetta2mymom you don't like this reply you must look at how your answers seem to look from my point of view... you have an idea which you want to prove right, you keep asking the question in a different ways to try to manipulate the results to reflect and so "prove" your theory.
Hi

I am processing your comment. I eat a very low carb diet. Would like more information about why the very low carb diet does not work.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I am processing your comment. I eat a very low carb diet. Would like more information about why the very low carb diet does not work.
Look round this forum, use the searches on this forum and website, and google. Re-read the posts people have made to you and look at the links they provided. That's how I did it. A very low carb diet can work in some people, and work up to a point in some people, but for others it is insufficient, or they have complex medical and dietary conditions, so drugs are needed.

I speak as one who has had gestational diabetes.

Reactions: TIANDB

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

I would like more information about why a very low carb diet did not work. I eat protein (try and limit fats), low carb vegtables, baking (100%) cocoa (my big fruit exchange), a few baby carrots (my big carb), and mostly nothing else. Am I unusual? My cousin is close behind but not close enough she still gets fatigue symptoms some of the time. If you ate like her you would not control your diabetes some of the time.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Look round this forum, use the searches on this forum and website, and google. Re-read the posts people have made to you and look at the links they provided. That's how I did it. A very low carb diet can work in some people, and work up to a point in some people, but for others it is insufficient, or they have complex medical and dietary conditions, so drugs are needed.

Hi

Hi

I would like more information about why a very low carb diet did not work. I eat protein (try and limit fats), low carb vegtables, baking (100%) cocoa (my big fruit exchange), a few baby carrots (my big carb), and mostly nothing else. Am I unusual? My cousin is close behind but not close enough she still gets fatigue symptoms some of the time. If you ate like her you would not control your diabetes some of the time. I will read (time is tight) about low carb. I know of 2 doctors who have sites promoting the low carb diet as a (cure?) for diabetes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time is tight for others on here too, including me, I dont have time to do your research for links and articles for you. I doubt very much that two doctors have said that the low carb diet is a cure for all type 2 diabetics. They may well have claimed that it helps, can put them in remission, and improves their chances of avoiding complications. Claiming a complete cure for all type 2's is dubious, to say the least and i would be wary of the doctors if that is what they are claiming.

I think you also need to do some research about fats. I recommend Jason Fung, Gary Taubes and Dr Bernstein as a starting point about diabetes and food in general.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Time is tight for others on here too, including me, I dont have time to do your research for links and articles for you. I doubt very much that two doctors have said that the low carb diet is a cure for all type 2 diabetics. They may well have claimed that it helps, can put them in remission, and improves their chances of avoiding complications. Claiming a complete cure for all type 2's is dubious, to say the least and i would be wary of the doctors if that is what they are claiming.

I think you also need to do some research about fats. I recommend Jason Fung, Gary Taubes and Dr Bernstein as a starting point about diabetes and food in general.

Hi

There has been a doctor who has proposed this for about 40 years (communication on this site). In the U.K. during W.W. 2 they had very limited grains available. Less people per capita died of heart disease in the U.K. during W.W. 2 then before or since.

I have been on my strange diet for over 12 years. I was eating cheese and therefore I gained weight. I disagree with the medical community about fats. On my web site I say (paraphrase) my blood fats are fine, my circulation is fine, my blood pressure is improved, before farming we were hunter gathers is it surprising that we do fine without cerials and most fruits.

The problems occur when we add starch/sugar to our diets.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

There has been a doctor who has proposed this for about 40 years (communication on this site). In the U.K. during W.W. 2 they had very limited grains available. Less people per capita died of heart disease in the U.K. during W.W. 2 then before or since.

I have been on my strange diet for over 12 years. I was eating cheese and therefore I gained weight. I disagree with the medical community about fats. On my web site I say (paraphrase) my blood fats are fine, my circulation is fine, my blood pressure is improved, before farming we were hunter gathers is it surprising that we do fine without cerials and most fruits.

Hi

I have been cursing your low fat doctors ever since I learned that there (facts?) were nor based on experimental evidence. The major reason I did not go on my weird diet for about 50 years was that it was no wheres near a balanced diet.

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi

Hi

I have been cursing your low fat doctors ever since I learned that there (facts?) were nor based on experimental evidence. The major reason I did not go on my weird diet for about 50 years was that it was no wheres near a balanced diet.

You appear to be talking to yourself here, very strange indeed.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

In some it caused severe heart condition and meant they were on medication for the rest of their life, then there are those who's cholesterol increase when trying so it causes other health problems that stop them carrying on, I also read about people who couldn't stop losing weight became severely underweight and seriously ill because of this... that is what I have come across, plus...

My diet is lower carb than yours (that's an FYI) I can only tolerate a few nuts and a cup of tea for breakfast, I will have mushroom soup, m'twem, omelette or salad for my other meals. I make everything from scratch and on most days have less than 200 calories... I intermittent fast which is a one meal a day max and water only for the rest. That meal is smaller than on non fasting days and will normally be a soup such as m'twem. This is what I go through to keep Bgl under control along with loads of exercise... most people could not cope with my diet and lifestyle in order to lose weight or control Bgl and would probably find medication the only viable option.

Also with the fact that everyone is unique, our bodies react to different things differently including how we react to diabetes and the medication... I for one thing I am intolerant to metformin however there are people on here who are allergic to insulin! Each person reacts differently to the foods... there are people such as yourself who's bodies can tolerate foods that my body can't and vis a vis... how do you explain that and why most low carbers can tolerate strawberries and how scientifically it shouldn't be able to raise Bgl yet sends me through the roof!?!
We are all unique and so are our bodies, you can't shove everyone into a box, there is no one size fits all. That is the way it is and that is something you have to accept as you are doing to us exactly what the gps, dns and consultants are doing... nice says the healthy living plate should work and is the ONLY answer and if it doesn't work for you then you must not be eating to it. We don't agree with that! But I wouldn't tell someone who is on it and it is working for them to go on lchf as that is pot calling kettle black. The treatment for diabetes should be unique to the person and molded to them and their unique needs.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
You appear to be talking to yourself here, very strange indeed.
Hi
Explain yourself. I gather that there have been instances where the low carb diet is detrimental but I am not aware of the details. Where is the evidence that most people can not live on a low carb diet if they have the "hunter" gene and/or are type 2 diabetic? Is it a matter of fath? Where is the evidence that fats without sugar/starch are a problem? I became very angry when I read that there was no experimental evidence that this was true since it had stopped me from going on the diet I now live on. My health is still slowly improving as I never change sugar into fat (my analysis). I have lost most of my life to the stupid doctors. I disagree that there are no generalities we can make about humans and diet. I agree that there are exceptions to most rules.

Reactions: TIANDB

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Explain yourself. I gather that there have been instances where the low carb diet is detrimental but I am not aware of the details. Where is the evidence that most people can not live on a low carb diet if they have the "hunter" gene and/or are type 2 diabetic? Is it a matter of fath? Where is the evidence that fats without sugar/starch are a problem? I became very angry when I read that there was no experimental evidence that this was true since it had stopped me from going on the diet I now live on. My health is still slowly improving as I never change sugar into fat (my analysis). I have lost most of my life to the stupid doctors. I disagree that there are no generalities we can make about humans and diet. I agree that there are exceptions to most rules.
My disagreement is not with low carb healthy fat diet... it is with the sweeping generalisation. I have also seen the blood group diets etc... this seems to be a similar thing to that. I can't do your research for you... go on the site and speak to the people in the forum who CAN'T do low carb and they will be able to give you more info.