pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, new to the forum, found this thread interesting, been having GTTs etc over past 30 years due to gestational diabetes when pregnant with all four kids. Been up and down this past year but got tested both at local gym and work in past week due to health checks and one reading was 7.1 the other 7.2. Trying to make an appointment with the doc but can't get one until next week. Just wondering if I should get a meter now to keep a closer check as only get checked at docs once a year ( previous doc did it every six months) what do you think ?? And is there o e meter better than the other ??
I think you are about to get an avalanche of replies saying, "Yes, do get a meter". It's also true that some people here don't do home testing, but I don't think they would actually advise against it, it's just their preference. I'm absolutely no expert, I only found out about my A1c test of 41 (officially one point away from pre-diabetes in the UK but already pre- in the US) in August. Since then I have been reading up about all this and the writers who impress me as the most sound (Jenny Ruhl and Dr Bernstein) have convinced me that the repeated tests that we can do at home before and after meals are in fact more useful than the A1c. In addition I have found my home tests very motivating to make efforts to lower my bg. I wouldn't want to wait a whole year to find out if I'm on the right track.

Someone should be along soon to send you some info on meters. I like the TEE@ because it's free, but the Codefree has slightly cheaper strips. There is nothing to stop you getting a free TEE@ first (with 10 free strips, 10 free lancets and a lancet gun, all in a nifty case). That way you risk nothing, if you don't like testing after all you have paid nothing, and if you decide you'd prefer a Codefree you can still order that. BTW what is a GTT? All that springs to my mind is Gin and Tonic.

Good luck!

Reactions: Prem51

Triciamcl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
GTT , Glucose Tolerance Test, my doc calls it but I think it's also called something else on here. Thanks for the quick reply .

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GTT , Glucose Tolerance Test, my doc calls it but I think it's also called something else on here. Thanks for the quick reply .
You should have had lots of other repllies by now. I think your question has been buried at the end of this long thread. I suggest you post it again as a new thread somewhere.

Triciamcl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Have already put it on two other places, the introductions and pre diabetic forums but no other replies except yourself x

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have already put it on two other places, the introductions and pre diabetic forums but no other replies except yourself x
Oh dear, I can't think what has gone wrong, this is very unusual. Anyway, I have sent a pm to Jaylee, one of the moderators currently online, so I hope she will be sorting some info for you. Meanwhile, assuming you are in the UK, here is a link you could use to acquire a free meter
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
They actually have a 24 hour free telephone helpline where you get to talk to a human being straight away, or you can order online. Things arrive very fast.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, new to the forum, found this thread interesting, been having GTTs etc over past 30 years due to gestational diabetes when pregnant with all four kids. Been up and down this past year but got tested both at local gym and work in past week due to health checks and one reading was 7.1 the other 7.2. Trying to make an appointment with the doc but can't get one until next week. Just wondering if I should get a meter now to keep a closer check as only get checked at docs once a year ( previous doc did it every six months) what do you think ?? And is there o e meter better than the other ??

Hi @Triciamcl ,

I'm a big advocate of getting hold of your own meter..., Going to tag in @Bluetit1802 who knows more than a thing or two about affordable home BS testing in the absence of a GP issuing & prescribing meter & strips....

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Triciamcl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Oh dear, I can't think what has gone wrong, this is very unusual. Anyway, I have sent a pm to Jaylee, one of the moderators currently online, so I hope she will be sorting some info for you. Meanwhile, assuming you are in the UK, here is a link you could use to acquire a free meter
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
They actually have a 24 hour free telephone helpline where you get to talk to a human being straight away, or you can order online. Things arrive very fast.

Thank you very much, I have received one reply now , they think my readings may be ok , perhaps normal,
but I perhaps should have mentioned that these were fasting reads and I think this makes a difference ??

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
file:///Users/admin/Downloads/Blood%20Glucose%20Meter%20Accuracy%20Comparison%20(Chart).html

Check out this article

Arlmy

I think you are about to get an avalanche of replies saying, "Yes, do get a meter". It's also true that some people here don't do home testing, but I don't think they would actually advise against it, it's just their preference. I'm absolutely no expert, I only found out about my A1c test of 41 (officially one point away from pre-diabetes in the UK but already pre- in the US) in August. Since then I have been reading up about all this and the writers who impress me as the most sound (Jenny Ruhl and Dr Bernstein) have convinced me that the repeated tests that we can do at home before and after meals are in fact more useful than the A1c. In addition I have found my home tests very motivating to make efforts to lower my bg. I wouldn't want to wait a whole year to find out if I'm on the right track.

Someone should be along soon to send you some info on meters. I like the TEE@ because it's free, but the Codefree has slightly cheaper strips. There is nothing to stop you getting a free TEE@ first (with 10 free strips, 10 free lancets and a lancet gun, all in a nifty case). That way you risk nothing, if you don't like testing after all you have paid nothing, and if you decide you'd prefer a Codefree you can still order that. BTW what is a GTT? All that springs to my mind is Gin and Tonic.

Good luck!
Hi GTT means Glucose tolerance test

Arlmy

I have not been testing by blood glucose yet

I wonder if anyone has information on how to measure food portion size against body weight
I weigh 60 kgs I am 162 cm in height

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wonder if anyone has information on how to measure food portion size against body weight
I weigh 60 kgs I am 162 cm in height
The UK NHS advice is that a food portion should be no bigger than the size of your fist.

Reactions: Arlmy

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Our medical insurance doesn't pay for testing meters or supplies if we are "Pre-diabetic" . Only those with higher blood sugar levels are encouraged to test their own blood sugars. I only get tested 2 times a year. How nice the UK insurance provides meters & supplies?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Our medical insurance doesn't pay for testing meters or supplies if we are "Pre-diabetic" . Only those with higher blood sugar levels are encouraged to test their own blood sugars. I only get tested 2 times a year. How nice the UK insurance provides meters & supplies?
The UK NHS only provides free meters and test strip prescriptions for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics if they are on insulin, or similar medication Most Type 2s and pre-diabetics have to fund their own kits if they want to test.
And usually we only get tested once a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PreDiet

hill4332

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Our GPS in the UK provide me with a free meter and test strips and have done since I was diagnosisnosed as type two some 10 years ago . originally a meter and strips to test whilst on diet only but then through Metformin,glicazide,pioglitizone,Victosa, trulicity and now insulin .As it's more difficult to control at the moment they have altered my strips to unlimited supplies. This applies to all the to practices in south worcestershire

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for your reply. It sounds like the same? What is NHS & GPS ? Government funded health insurance for all UK residence?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NHS is national health service which is funded by tax and national insurance and GP's are general practice local doctors