I like this fasting makarky

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Ok, after doing LCHF on and off, I decided to do some fasting again. This week I have been doing 16:8 - and in all honesty, I've found it easy. I stop eating at 7pm, and start again at 11am. Within a day my BG was down....and has between 4.7 & 6 all week., and I'm 2kg down too. I'll take that. On the non fast times I'm eating a keto diet too, and according to my keto sticks I've been in ketosis for 3 days now.

The interesting thing to me, is that this morning I did an experiment. I had bread - as suspected by BG went up - after 2 hours it hit 17..... But, an hour later it was at 7.6. I've never known a drop like that. I have to say I'm enjoying the fasts and am enjoying watching the various Youtube videos out there. I did Dukan some years back and lost 3 stone plus. Lets see where this goes.

S

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its great isn't it especially when it feels so easy.. I'm doing a one meal a day at the moment trying to drop a few more pounds and working fine so far.
17 is a bit of a shocker.. that's higher than i went when I did the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test.. Was it just one slice or the whole loaf?!

Reactions: Chook

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One of the reasons I tried to adjust my meds (for other conditions I have) was that some of them are food dependant so it means that fasting leaves me with a choice of taking my meds without food or halving the dosages and as two of them are for pain releif this is a tough choice. As I no longer have problems with hunger (Yay!) I would dearly love to have a shorter window, as it stands now, I have two meals but they are about seven hours apart and the first meal is smaller. I don't eat anything in between. I have no idea if this helps at all but if nothing else I have actually learned what true hunger is instead of the 'fake' hunger that carbs provoke.

Reactions: seanj67

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its great isn't it especially when it feels so easy.. I'm doing a one meal a day at the moment trying to drop a few more pounds and working fine so far.
17 is a bit of a shocker.. that's higher than i went when I did the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test.. Was it just one slice or the whole loaf?!

Yea, it is. I'm on several Facebook groups and the success stories are simply amazing. I'm loving the stuff by Dr Eric Berg too on Youtube. 17 was high even for me - it was 3 slices of medium white. I intend to try the OMAD thing at some point but am easing myself in gently. I'll gradually reduce my eating window. I don't think I've once felt hungry so far.

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yea, it is. I'm on several Facebook groups and the success stories are simply amazing. I'm loving the stuff by Dr Eric Berg too on Youtube. 17 was high even for me - it was 3 slices of medium white. I intend to try the OMAD thing at some point but am easing myself in gently. I'll gradually reduce my eating window. I don't think I've once felt hungry so far.
Definitely agree that easing yourself into more extended fasting is the way to go.. grow that fasting muscle..

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone try extended fasting say for 10 days and if so how low did your bg go?

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I've read a lot that have and seem to love it. For me that's a bit too far. If I can get my numbers down with daily "short" fasts then I'll be happy. I enjoy food too much to go without it for that long :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done a few 7 day fasts .. I found blood sugar was lowest on day three.. usually in the 3.5-3.8 range
They weren't quite water only I tend to have coffee with cream on my fasts as well s the odd cup of tea with lactofree mik.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Ok, after doing LCHF on and off, I decided to do some fasting again. This week I have been doing 16:8 - and in all honesty, I've found it easy. I stop eating at 7pm, and start again at 11am. Within a day my BG was down....and has between 4.7 & 6 all week., and I'm 2kg down too. I'll take that. On the non fast times I'm eating a keto diet too, and according to my keto sticks I've been in ketosis for 3 days now.

The interesting thing to me, is that this morning I did an experiment. I had bread - as suspected by BG went up - after 2 hours it hit 17..... But, an hour later it was at 7.6. I've never known a drop like that. I have to say I'm enjoying the fasts and am enjoying watching the various Youtube videos out there. I did Dukan some years back and lost 3 stone plus. Lets see where this goes.

S

Agree. Always skip breakfast and try to eat only one meal a day (dinner) at least 2-3 times a week. Find it pretty easy and means the one meal can be pretty indulgent while still low in carbs.

T

tony n

Agree. Always skip breakfast and try to eat only one meal a day (dinner) at least 2-3 times a week. Find it pretty easy and means the one meal can be pretty indulgent while still low in carbs.
I love doctor Wong I'm sure he'd put me right x

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For example, when you eat between 11am and 7pm...is there particulars amounts of carbs, protein and fat you are looking at? More than one meal during that time?

I know this is good in terms of losing weight, are people seeing good results with bg levels also?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For example, when you eat between 11am and 7pm...is there particulars amounts of carbs, protein and fat you are looking at? More than one meal during that time?

I know this is good in terms of losing weight, are people seeing good results with bg levels also?

Hi Joe - Are you comfortable with adjusting your insulin dosing, on a day-to-day, meal-by-meal basis. That's very important if you're thinking of trying fasting.

Reactions: Goacher55

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, on my longer fasts - 7 days and 10 days, my BG has been lowest on Day 5, with 3.6-3.9.

These fasts have no long-term affect on me though. Either on weight, or on average BG readings. Anything I lose on a longer fast, I gain right back (am on LCHF/Keto way of eating).

I see them as a chance for my pancreas and liver to have a break from all that churning out insulin and glucose (and initially as experiments to see if there were any long term effects). Also for the bod to break down bad cells etc for energy, which is supposed to be very good for us.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I have a similar fasting pattern although with me I don;t eat anything from 10 pm to the following day at noon where I will have dinner (low carb). My observations - my BGs will rise slightly as soon as I get out of bed - I attribute that to the stress of getting up, grabbing a shower etc... but after my morning shot it goes back to normal.
I've been doing this for years now, it seems to work really well for me and I only did this because controlling my BGs seemed much easier when I took that approach. Looks like other people do similar things - how about that!

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was so happy when I read dr wongs research. Fasting is fabulous! I usually do stop at 8 and start at 12. during my eating hours I try to follow LCHF. At present I’m happy with it !

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was so happy when I read dr wongs research. Fasting is fabulous! I usually do stop at 8 and start at 12. during my eating hours I try to follow LCHF. At present I’m happy with it !
Sorry if you've told us this already but are you losing huge weight with fasting? Or is your aims different to mine?

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I see a drop in BG yes, more so than weight loss. I also find that if I eat higher carbs in my window I don't see the spikes I used to get - I still see a rise but nowhere near as high. I guess that's down to less residual sugar in my blood.

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
I do intermittent fasting most days of the week, but I don’t test my blood sugars any more, my hba1c was 6.6, it dropped from 7.1 so I’m just continuing with what I’m doing just being careful. Regular excersie some cheat days ( just can’t help it) can any one advise if I’m doing g the right thing ? I honestly find it very difficult testing regular never enough time , does any one have that problem ? And cheat days ?

Reactions: Arlmy

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I'm wondering about doing IF but when I've tried to not eat breakfast, my bg levels just go up and up. I have a problem in the mornings anyway with high readings - they are usually between 7 and 8 no matter what I eat/ don't eat the night before. If I eat breakfast they usually start to drop. If I don't eat breakfast they climb until they are 10+ by lunchtime.

Do you think if I persist in not having breakfast then my body will eventually readjust itself? Fasting really doesn't seem to work for me but to be honest, I've never tried for more than a couple of days at a time when because my bg levels shoot up and I get scared!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I'm wondering about doing IF but when I've tried to not eat breakfast, my bg levels just go up and up. I have a problem in the mornings anyway with high readings - they are usually between 7 and 8 no matter what I eat/ don't eat the night before. If I eat breakfast they usually start to drop. If I don't eat breakfast they climb until they are 10+ by lunchtime.

Do you think if I persist in not having breakfast then my body will eventually readjust itself? Fasting really doesn't seem to work for me but to be honest, I've never tried for more than a couple of days at a time when because my bg levels shoot up and I get scared!
You could maybe try breakfast and lunch then stop until the next morning? I just skip breakfast because its the easiest for me to miss but there's no reason why you can't try skipping dinner instead.