Miscarriage and Hypos Every Day

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

I really need some help! I posted this time last year when I had a miscarriage at eight weeks. Ironically enough, I am currently going through another miscarriage as the same time last year.

This time is different. I have been in a very dark and lonely place, suffering from anxiety and crying for hours on end - I am usually emotionally stable.
The worst thing about this miscarriage was that I didnt even know I was pregnant; I started bleeding and have been bleeding for the last six weeks.

The hospital weren't very helpful and have just said let everything pass naturally, but this feels like a never-ending nightmare! I have one or two hypos every single day :( My TSH levels are very low but T3 and 4 are fine -I have never had a thyroid issue before. I have cut dairy out due to issues digesting lactose and my HBAC1 was 58%. I am on 5mg of Folic Acid and Metafomin twice a day due to PCOS. I take Lantus and Fiasp. Also, pregnacare and Omega 3.

I am 35 soon and completely devastated with this loss. If anyone can offer me any advice related to fertility or my issues I would be more than grateful.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
so sorry to read of your loss
a big hug slayer
[[[hug]]]

Reactions: Catherine4188

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you haven't already been tested for coeliac, please do get tested. Recurrent miscarriages can be a red flag for coeliac which also often occurs in conjunction with Type 1.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Indy, I have had a blood test for coeliac done previously, but it came but negative. I do suffer with stomach pain on a daily basis and severe bloating/distended stomach for over last ten years. Docs keep brushing it off.
If you haven't already been tested for coeliac, please do get tested. Recurrent miscarriages can be a red flag for coeliac which also often occurs in conjunction with Type 1.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I f you are still bleeding after all this time, ask to be checked that everything has gone and there is no minor infection. Please accept my virtual good vibes, its a hard place to be in right now for you.

Reactions: slayer

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Indy, I have had a blood test for coeliac done previously, but it came but negative. I do suffer with stomach pain on a daily basis and severe bloating/distended stomach for over last ten years. Docs keep brushing it off.
Might be worthwhile trying at least a 30 day trial of a gluten free diet to see if your symptoms improve? There are other syndromes related to gluten beyond coeliac. I also believe the blood tests (depending on how extensive they were) can give false negatives.

Hope you start to feel better soon :)

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @slayer sorry to hear about what your going through, sending you a big hug. I agree with Indy about trying gluten free for a month, unfortunately coeliac tests can come back as inconclusive and it would be worth trying this to see how you feel. Unfortunately your hormones will take some time to settle down and as these affect your insulin resistance it will mean more testing than usual, I would get in touch with your diabetic nurse to get an appointment too to run through your hypo events as they may be able to help with a CGM to monitor this. I know this is a difficult time for you and that your hormones and glucose levels are all over the place but it will get better, try and talk to those around you for support, it sounds like your are doing all that you can to ensure a healthy pregnancy so I hope that with a bit of support from your diabetic team that you will get there x

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I f you are still bleeding after all this time, ask to be checked that everything has gone and there is no minor infection. Please accept my virtual good vibes, its a hard place to be in right now for you.
Yes, I will make an appt with my doc or shall I say the man who never helps!

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @slayer sorry to hear about what your going through, sending you a big hug. I agree with Indy about trying gluten free for a month, unfortunately coeliac tests can come back as inconclusive and it would be worth trying this to see how you feel. Unfortunately your hormones will take some time to settle down and as these affect your insulin resistance it will mean more testing than usual, I would get in touch with your diabetic nurse to get an appointment too to run through your hypo events as they may be able to help with a CGM to monitor this. I know this is a difficult time for you and that your hormones and glucose levels are all over the place but it will get better, try and talk to those around you for support, it sounds like your are doing all that you can to ensure a healthy pregnancy so I hope that with a bit of support from your diabetic team that you will get there x
They hava given me a freestyle libre for two weeks which has been a God send and hopefully I can continue using it via NHS. Do you know if low TSH can cause a miscarriage?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They hava given me a freestyle libre for two weeks which has been a God send and hopefully I can continue using it via NHS. Do you know if low TSH can cause a miscarriage?

I'm no expert on TSH, but on the thyroid fora I read there seemed to be a preference for very low TSH. I think it would be hard for anyone to comment on "low TSH", as one man's "low TSH" could be regarded quite differently by another.

The diagnosis and management of thyroid issues in the UK looks just as confusing and conflicting as some of the diabetes stuff.

I wish you good luck. As others have suggested, if your Doc won't support bloods to look for Coeliac (if the originals were a while ago, things may have changed anyway), then a period GF could be enlightening.

My own Coeliac tests were negative and inconclusive (the two tests done, on the same date), but my Endo recommended that I go GF anyway. It's been a good move for me, but of course nobody can predict how it could go for you.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm no expert on TSH, but on the thyroid fora I read there seemed to be a preference for very low TSH. I think it would be hard for anyone to comment on "low TSH", as one man's "low TSH" could be regarded quite differently by another.

The last time I went gluten free I managed to last two months and lost lots of weight which was amazing. The issue I have is what to eat instead? I am vegetarian and also do not eat fish or egg. Actually, I'm vegan now due to not being able to tolerate lactose. It's all so difficult at the moment!

The diagnosis and management of thyroid issues in the UK looks just as confusing and conflicting as some of the diabetes stuff.

I wish you good luck. As others have suggested, if your Doc won't support bloods to look for Coeliac (if the originals were a while ago, things may have changed anyway), then a period GF could be enlightening.

My own Coeliac tests were negative and inconclusive (the two tests done, on the same date), but my Endo recommended that I go GF anyway. It's been a good move for me, but of course nobody can predict how it could go for you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Good glad you've got the libre, that will help relieve some of your anxiety with knowing what's going on BG wise. You would need to see your GP about your TSH levels, I have high levels as i've got an under-active thyroid however as none of us are medical experts it would be wise to get this reviewed with your GP to see if there are implications with TSH levels and pregnancy. Remember if you do go for another coeliac test then you will need to eat gluten again - but may be worthwhile trying a few weeks off it to see how your body responds.

You are still young at 35 so don't worry about age, the fact that you are being looked after will help, keep us posted on how you get on and sending you a big hug x

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I have had 2 as well and the last one was extremely tough. I sought some support from a counsellor and I have to say it cost a bit but it was worth every penny. They can't give you answers as I know you will be thinking about why it happened and how unfair and unjust it is, but they do listen and the small things they do say are perfect if you get the right one. You have a hard road ahead but it will get better. I promise. Just take one day at a time and allow yourself to feel rubbish, angry, sad, lost and know it is normal and ok.

I can't help much with the diabetes side as I'm newly diagnosed at the time of my last miscarriage but I'm sure people on here can help. Xx

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I had one a number of years ago and it was very painful. The hospital only left me for 3 weeks to see if it would come out naturally (it would have been 2 weeks but I was on holiday around that time too) and then they scanned and said they'd remove the rest by ERPC. Definitely get it checked out. If you suspect you're coeliac don't go gluten free as if you're being tested it will mess up the results and can lead to it not being diagnosed. There can be all sorts of reasons for miscarriages and unfortunatley they can just be one of those things. I believe that in my hospital you had to have 3 before you got referred to the recurrent miscarriage clinic. Are you under any fertility clinic? I got referred to one after not getting pregnant a year after the miscarriage but when my consultant checked he could have referred me within 6 months because of type 1. Good luck and I hope you have a full term pregnancy soon. Look after yourself.