What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
good morning all :)

4.6 today

There's snow on the hills across the firth when I opened the curtains this morning. Not much of a surprise because we had sleet showers yesterday. The sky is pale blue with pink tinted white clouds. It looks lovely but the wind is a proper lazy wind (as my Yorkshire gran used to say), goes through you instead of round. :)

Gleeful you commented on a saying your gran made about the lazy wind,I cannot believe it but I heard this for the first time yesterday from my hubby when we where out and about yesterday,apparently his Mum used to say the same thing how curious. K. Great BG readings by the way

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
4.9 this morning.
I am T2 no meds. LCHF.
Last night I experimented by eating sweet and sour chicken and fried rice.
4 bits of chicken, 2 tablespoons of sauce and half a cup of rice.
Bloods were as follows:
After 1hr: 9.3
2hrs: 7.9
3hrs:6.1
4hrs: 5.0
This was definitely a one off for me. I rarely go above 6. Therefore suppose I can describe diabetes as controlled not reversed.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
morning all. I am 6.1 today. my best for the entire week. we went away for a few days and I had a dreaded scone each day for 5 days. it has played havoc with my bgl. A lesson learned I think. I also had far more to eat than usual, although still low carb. I have lost more than 15% of my body weight since dx, so no reversal for me.

hope you all have a great well bgl balanced Saturday.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Blood sugars today were 4.8.

I find your high blood sugars after chicken and roast vegetables surprising too, @Granny_grump_ . Your dinner doesn't sound very carby. Did you take a second reading after washing your hands? Possibly you've had some food on your finger.

Have a wonderful weekend all.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning all. Blood sugars today were 4.8.

I find your high blood sugars after chicken and roast vegetables surprising too, @Granny_grump_ . Your dinner doesn't sound very carby. Did you take a second reading after washing your hands? Possibly you've had some food on your finger.

Have a wonderful weekend all.
Hi Ziggy
Yes I did a second reading straight away it was 11.5 it had dropped within a couple of minutes,but I always wash my hands before testing it's really strange, I cut up some bell peppers and added some small fresh plum tomatoes, but has we had been out all afternoon I added a bag of mixed vegetables from supermarket to it i saw leeks carrots and other veg but couldn't say for sure what else it had in it. So perhaps this was the culprit,I will have to check this out next time I visit Asda I think it was a bag of casserole veg. K

Reactions: geefull and ziggy_w
D

Diabeticliberty

Try the Fitbit charge 2. They are brilliant.!

I have the Ionic and really like it. The only problem is every time I shake my wrist it counts extra steps. Oh my Lord what am I saying :watching:

It does have a very good battery life of 4 days but this drops if you activate the GPS while running or walking.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
4.9 this morning.
I am T2 no meds. LCHF.
Bloods were as follows:
This was definitely a one off for me. I rarely go above 6. Therefore suppose I can describe diabetes as controlled not reversed.
Hi Helen if you think that's bad take a look at mine over 12 BG 2 hours after evening Meal!K

Reactions: Ixarix and HelenHak
D

Diabeticliberty

Hi Ziggy
Yes I did a second reading straight away it was 11.5 it had dropped within a couple of minutes,but I always wash my hands before testing it's really strange, I cut up some bell peppers and added some small fresh plum tomatoes, but has we had been out all afternoon I added a bag of mixed vegetables from supermarket to it i saw leeks carrots and other veg but couldn't say for sure what else it had in it. So perhaps this was the culprit,I will have to check this out next time I visit Asda I think it was a bag of casserole veg. K

My money would be from the cherry tomato skins. I once held a tomato and then tested and got a result of 18.6mmols. Washed hands and tested and it was really only 18.3 only joking it was 4. odd really

D

Diabeticliberty

I have just done 7 miles with my little doggie. I am pooped and she has collapsed on her bed. I got talking to a girl who always walks her pet doberman which is also 7 months old. We sometimes speak.I asked her where her dog was and she told me that she had picked up an infection resulting in multiple organ failure and she had to be put to sleep. I don't know who was crying more her or me. So very sad, she was a lovely dog and mine and her used to play together loads.

Last edited by a moderator:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 this morning.
I am T2 no meds. LCHF.
Bloods were as follows:

Hi @HelenHak,

I don't think your results are bad at all. Don't forget that when you have been low carbing for a long time, your pancreas is not used to producing a lot of insulin anymore and has to ramp up first. I believe this is called the last-meal-effect. So, quite possibly a non-diabetic low-carber might get quite similar results.

That's probably also why it is recommended that we first carb up for three days before attempting an OGTT.

Reactions: Granny_grump_
D

Diabeticliberty

I feel fine at lower readings, but I have lost my hypo awareness, tried to get awareness back but because of the length of time I've had type 1 and my tight control I've been told it won't return.

With respect I feel it is infinitely better to have extremely tight control for a long term type 1 even if it means loss of hypo awareness rather than poorer control with full awareness. The prospects for a better long term outcome are much better with option 1. Power to you for it :)

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Ziggy

I have a feeling that these bags include a fair bit of root veg. They are very useful tho.

Reactions: Ixarix and ziggy_w

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have just done 7 miles with my little doggie. I am pooped and she has collapsed on her bed. I got talking to a girl who always walks her pet doberman which is also 7 months old. We sometimes speak.I asked her where her dog was and she told me that she had picked up an infection resulting in multiple organ failure and she had to be put to sleep. I don't know who was crying more her or me. So very sad, she was a lovely dog and mine and her used to play together loads.

Hope your dogs upto date with its vaccinations, if you call your vets and check what's going around they will tell you if you needed to see them, you cannot be too careful with dogs loads of things picked up from where you walk them just by sniffing and walking where an infected dog has been. Hope your dog is alright keep your eyes on it over next week. Same thing happened to one of mine years ago when parvovirus first came out no one knew what it was three vets later he died on operating table with same multiple organ failure. Do ask at vets for your own peace of mind if it was parvovirus yours will have had a vaccination with its first vaccination treatment. Kathleen
Sorry if I've scared you but it does sound like parvovirus and I wouldn't want anything to happen to your dog. Not everyone has their dogs vaccinated and it's so contagious.

Last edited:
D

Diabeticliberty

Hope your dogs upto date with its vaccinations, if you call your vets and check what's going around they will tell you if you needed to see them, you cannot be too careful with dogs loads of things picked up from where you walk them just by sniffing and walking where an infected dog has been. Hope your dog is alright keep your eyes on it over next week. Same thing happened to one of mine years ago when parvovirus first came out no one knew what it was three vets later he died on operating table with same multiple organ failure. Do ask at vets for your own peace of mind if it was parvovirus yours will have had a vaccination with its first vaccination treatment. Kathleen

She is fully up to date on all her vaccines. I also paid for a full health check fir her at 6 months old. She will get 6 monthly checks for the rest of her life. Standing in my bath earlier getting the mud washed off her personage she looked very sorry for herself. Then licked the end of my nose to tell me she still loved me. I do constantly keep my eye on her and she now features in pretty much everything I do with the exception of going to work. She even forces her way into my bathroom and sits outside the shower while I'm in there. If I go out with friends for food and drink she comes along. There are lots of dog friendly places to eat and drink and to be honest I really would not want to be without her. It is starting to become an issue because my friends like her more than they like me.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have a feeling that these bags include a fair bit of root veg. They are very useful tho.

I never check things out enough just thought they are just vegetables will need to look more closely,I have used the supermarket casserole veg before but in a casserole not roasted. Thanks I don't always have my reading glasses with me but I will need to check on these things in future and not take it for granted because there vegetables. K

Reactions: ziggy_w