Regular moderate exercise log

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today my local parkrun experienced a 'takeover' by lots of people from the local hospital's A&E department - there were many hundreds of people more than usual, and there was a really positive atmosphere - parkrun is an incredibly positive experience every week, but today it was BUZZING! They were raising money for a local hospice.

I was pretty pleased with my overnight sugars, and I turned my pump down to 20% basal before my run, and then 10% partway round. No spike, no low. I am delighted! The highest point of my graph below represents the two boiled eggs and 1.95u Novorapid I had at breakfast time.

I couldn't do this kind of thing without my pump, or without my Libre. Well actually perhaps I could do it, but I would be unlikely to want to. I love my life-changing gadgetry.

No sign of my parkrun time yet, but they've got about a squillion more participant barcodes to wrestle with today, so I'm not surprised!

:happy:

image.jpeg

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In heavy pain walking a little again. Afraid to go to gp as dont want stronger than tramadol. Trying to manage only on tramadol but walking is in total agony. Ive so much to do this time of year. :(
Thinking of hiring a buggy for city shopping as a bag is changing my posture.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today my local parkrun experienced a 'takeover' by lots of people from the local hospital's A&E department - there were many hundreds of people more than usual, and there was a really positive atmosphere - parkrun is an incredibly positive experience every week, but today it was BUZZING! They were raising money for a local hospice.

I was pretty pleased with my overnight sugars, and I turned my pump down to 20% basal before my run, and then 10% partway round. No spike, no low. I am delighted! The highest point of my graph below represents the two boiled eggs and 1.95u Novorapid I had at breakfast time.

I couldn't do this kind of thing without my pump, or without my Libre. Well actually perhaps I could do it, but I would be unlikely to want to. I love my life-changing gadgetry.

No sign of my parkrun time yet, but they've got about a squillion more participant barcodes to wrestle with today, so I'm not surprised!

:happy:

View attachment 24469
Congratulations from one keen parkrunner to another! Actually I haven't done a parkrun for a long while, but that's because I have just limped from one health problem to another and never quite got trained up to the level of tearing around a park for 3+ joined up miles. I still plan and train for my future parkruns and am hoping to make a comeback on Christmas Day. Like you I love my gadgetry, but I'm not (yet?) obliged to use insulin. You really seem to have mastered that. Good luck at your next (perhaps quieter) parkrun.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I LOVE parkrun, @Alexandra100 - best invention EVER - apart from of course the insulin pump, hardboiled eggs and Netflix - so make that the fourth best invention ever....!
;)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am ominously close to smashing my main walking target for the year. If I keep up the current rate, it'll be in the next two weeks.

The other one will take a little longer, but if there's a good run of mornings which aren't frosty or rainy, I'm hoping to be disciplined about walking the 3 miles to work, which will finish that one off nicely.

I've got some creative plans for next year's walking percolating in the Japes' mind. Worrying, very worrying.

Best Friend was mightily perturbed at how easily I was distracted by a sale of walking books and only the fact I would've had to carry them around all day put me off purchasing the next pair. Best Friend is used to being the walking enthusiast and leaving me in the car to read a book having looked horrified at the mere suggestion of a two mile stroll... it's more the other way round these days, and I wear Best Friend out, then go off for another five miles.... oops.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've walked around Morrison's after walking to the bus stop with my crutch. Yipee!
I could manage it without carrying shopping. On lifting bag to fill it I was in agony again. So taxi home. I'm pleased, sort of.
I'm having to find my new limitation again. Then I'll try and walk more. As soon as I can.
I will try the kids pick up in a few hours. No bag thou. That seems to help.
Onwards and upwards.
Ps. Cold hasnt put me off. Only strong wind is my walking enemy. I'm confident inhalers are helping through the night too. Hopefully no hospital this winter. I'm trying, I'm using all what's available to me. I just need one winter in good health and I'll be laughing again.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh the perils of hypos hours and hours after endurance exercise......

My Libre tells me I was in the 2s all night, climbing to the heady heights of 2.9 on waking - after dipping to 5.4 with a diagonal 'down' arrow mid evening I turned my basal right down for an hour, and then was 7 to go to sleep on - but I should have set an alarm and another temp basal for overnight.

Well, it caught me out! And with hindsight it's scary, although I was asleep at the time. I am well aware of the dangers of nighttime hypos, but I thought I was sorted.

I'd run 8km in the morning, followed by a 10k bike ride at lunchtime. I dipped a little low mid afternoon but thought THAT was my post-exercise low. Avoided alcohol last night (I'll have a diluted glass of vino two or three times a week, but not when I'm doing this much exercise as it would catch me out with hypos!).

I've got a funny right foot this morning. I've broken my golden rule of not running on consecutive days - I did parkrun Saturday, then a 10km trail run to a middle-of-nowhere poppy service on Sunday, then running club yesterday. KICKING SELF.

Ho hum. Will see if my stiff foot improves enough not to be bothersome at the 10k I'm doing at the weekend.......

:rolleyes:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My Libre tells me I was in the 2s all night, climbing to the heady heights of 2.9 on waking - after dipping to 5.4 with a diagonal 'down' arrow mid evening I turned my basal right down for an hour, and then was 7 to go to sleep on - but I should have set an alarm and another temp basal for overnight.

Well, it caught me out! And with hindsight it's scary, although I was asleep at the time. I am well aware of the dangers of nighttime hypos, but I thought I was sorted.

I'd run 8km in the morning, followed by a 10k bike ride at lunchtime. I dipped a little low mid afternoon but thought THAT was my post-exercise low. Avoided alcohol last night (I'll have a diluted glass of vino two or three times a week, but not when I'm doing this much exercise as it would catch me out with hypos!).

I've got a funny right foot this morning. I've broken my golden rule of not running on consecutive days - I did parkrun Saturday, then a 10km trail run to a middle-of-nowhere poppy service on Sunday, then running club yesterday. KICKING SELF.

Ho hum. Will see if my stiff foot improves enough not to be bothersome at the 10k I'm doing at the weekend.......

Oh dear! I'm grateful that at least at present I don't have to worry about hypos as well as hypers! But I couldn't suppress a pang of envy as I read abut your recent runs. They sound GREAT! At least you got a bang for your buck (or a run for your money).

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've walked around Morrison's after walking to the bus stop with my crutch. Yipee!
I could manage it without carrying shopping. On lifting bag to fill it I was in agony again. So taxi home. I'm pleased, sort of.
I'm having to find my new limitation again. Then I'll try and walk more. As soon as I can.
I will try the kids pick up in a few hours. No bag thou. That seems to help.
Onwards and upwards.
Ps. Cold hasnt put me off. Only strong wind is my walking enemy. I'm confident inhalers are helping through the night too. Hopefully no hospital this winter. I'm trying, I'm using all what's available to me. I just need one winter in good health and I'll be laughing again.
Well done! The future is looking good. I hate strong winds too, and I'm steady on my feet (well, fairly!)
PS I like Morrisons too.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Blinking hypos... here's hoping they re-sort for you again. Or, I'm willing to share some of my current hypers to see if they balance out?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done @Snapsy . I miss that freedom of a run. I will run again, I'm sure of it but obviously not this year. After bariatric surgery it could happen. Many are hoping my back just corrects itself. What after near 3yrs of being naughty? Maybe.
The labour and 2 house moves with difficult toddler in buggy has strained my back, I feel.
Physio assures me bulging disc and scatica for numb toes and underside of right foot.
I'm not writting anything off.
Hoping to be able to join in about jogging or long distance walks in future.

For now I'm pleased with my little conquering moments. Humf! Wish it was far far more. I loved my runs in greenwich park.

Walked to pick kids, stopping twice for the few hundred yards. Other half had a breathing problem in the town earlier so off to gps in morning. He's keep saying his is old age, nar, what at 46yr old. Don't think so. He has back flowing runny nose but his breathing too laboured for just that to me. We'll see.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2.7 again this morning despite turning pump down, so no swimming as am still 75% gaga and unfit to drive. Plus Mr S has brought me some tea to wash the glucose down with,

Day off exercise today. Yesterday afternoon I had a weights session and a swim. Used my biggest muscles which does make me drop harder, it seems!

Hu hum.

#rollercoaster

Hope all goes well for Mr @ickihun at the doctors. Hugs!

:)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blinking hypos... here's hoping they re-sort for you again. Or, I'm willing to share some of my current hypers to see if they balance out?
We could average each other out, @Japes ! Sorry about hypers. Xxx

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hugs all round, for us moderate exercisers, methinks.

It seems the new meds regime may, at last, be kicking in, so far less hyper today. - even a bit of false hypo mid-walk as my system re-adjusts. Though my entire body may have gone into shock, as I over-slept this morning so bussed to work. Then I bussed home as I left work later than intended. As a result, I had just done almost all of my steps in a two hours walk after supper, which I've not had to do for ages!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you're feeling better than you were when you started the new regime, @Japes - and look, despite adversity you still got there with your steps! BRIILLIANT!

I've had a swim this morning after a rest day yesterday (because of not exercising yesterday I didn't wake up hypo for the first time in four days - yay!). Fewer lengths than normal as the pool isn't as full of water as it should be, and it's choppier than the sea as a result! It was all bouncing off the sides, making swimming in it very hard work!

Had some osteopathy yesterday for my foot and slightly wonky pelvis - bit sore but I'm feeling much straighter! Hoping to make it to running club tonight unless the dentist is having a bad day (am having a filling - grrrrrrrr).

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slightly off-topic, but I was wondering which walking shoes/boots people use. My GP (who is happy for me to try diet and exercise to see how I go) suggested a brisk 30-min walk each day as being "just as good as a gym and there is research coming out now that supports this". Yup, he's pretty switched-on compared to some I've read about. Me and exercise are not the best of friends, and I have rubbish feet (bunions....), so I'm interested to hear what others wear. It'll be street walking so perhaps the top-of-the-range climb-Ben-Nevis ones can wait a bit.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Slightly off-topic, but I was wondering which walking shoes/boots people use. My GP (who is happy for me to try diet and exercise to see how I go) suggested a brisk 30-min walk each day as being "just as good as a gym and there is research coming out now that supports this". Yup, he's pretty switched-on compared to some I've read about. Me and exercise are not the best of friends, and I have rubbish feet (bunions....), so I'm interested to hear what others wear. It'll be street walking so perhaps the top-of-the-range climb-Ben-Nevis ones can wait a bit.

I've used these ever since I started regular walking for the sake of my blood sugars! 95% of my walking is pavement pounding, and 5 pairs later, I'm still intending to replace them with the same variety which I'm going to do to celebrate this year's walking targets when I achieve them! I also, to make them last longer, use some Scholl sports or work boots insoles which are really comfortable. Places like Mountain Warehouse and Cotswold Outdoors do similar ones.

The ones I've linked to were what my local independent Army and Navy type store had when I first decided the trainers I was using were not up to the job if I was going to walk more, and I didn't want to pay masses for "proper" walking boots. Which I might do if I do more non-pavement walking next year.

Me and exercise still aren't best friends, but I do love my walking now and getting sorted with comfortable shoes made the huge difference from me walking because I had to, to walking because I enjoy it.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you're feeling better than you were when you started the new regime, @Japes - and look, despite adversity you still got there with your steps! BRIILLIANT!

I've had a swim this morning after a rest day yesterday (because of not exercising yesterday I didn't wake up hypo for the first time in four days - yay!). Fewer lengths than normal as the pool isn't as full of water as it should be, and it's choppier than the sea as a result! It was all bouncing off the sides, making swimming in it very hard work!

Had some osteopathy yesterday for my foot and slightly wonky pelvis - bit sore but I'm feeling much straighter! Hoping to make it to running club tonight unless the dentist is having a bad day (am having a filling - grrrrrrrr).

I'm pretty impressed with the step maintenance!

Hope dentist wasn't having a bad day and you've made it to running club.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am remiss and did not do this in the reply about boots. so enthusiastic was I to get the information down.

Welcome to the thread, @Sue192 !!