Prediabetes

Hi, I am 42years old Indian & totally vegetarian.Before 2 years I used to ate plenty of carbs and fats daily,my fasting glucose was normal but Hba1c was 7.0 and my weight was 75 kg, and high bad cholesterol.I felt very tired and had repeating stiffness in forehead.
Than I changed my eating habits.I am taking green/fruit juice at 11:00,sprouts, salad and fruits at 13:00,dates or one fruit at 16:30 and cooked food(200 gram carbs) with plenty of vegetables at 20:00.
Due to wich my successive hba1c found to 6.2,5.9,5.8,6.1 etc. And cholesterol is also normal,f bs and pp is normal no stiffness in head but tiredness remain unchanged.
Before 15 days my glucose level was found 190 after dinner.
Than I reduced some more carb and started to walk for 10 Kms in the morning.Which results to normal level but my tiredness increases exponentially and stiffness in forehead is also continue.
Plz advise me how can I stay energetic and reverse the disease.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi, I am 42years old Indian & totally vegetarian.Before 2 years I used to ate plenty of carbs and fats daily,my fasting glucose was normal but Hba1c was 7.0 and my weight was 75 kg, and high bad cholesterol.I felt very tired and had repeating stiffness in forehead.
Than I changed my eating habits.I am taking green/fruit juice at 11:00,sprouts, salad and fruits at 13:00,dates or one fruit at 16:30 and cooked food(200 gram carbs) with plenty of vegetables at 20:00.
Due to wich my successive hba1c found to 6.2,5.9,5.8,6.1 etc. And cholesterol is also normal,f bs and pp is normal no stiffness in head but tiredness remain unchanged.
Before 15 days my glucose level was found 190 after dinner.
Than I reduced some more carb and started to walk for 10 Kms in the morning.Which results to normal level but my tiredness increases exponentially and stiffness in forehead is also continue.
Plz advise me how can I stay energetic and reverse the disease.

If you get hold of a blood glucose meter and test yourself before meals and 2 hours after you will find out what's spiking your blood sugar. You can then cut this out and be in contrl

Reactions: 9893973788

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

Hi my friend Mr long number. I myself am not diabetic. From the quote above I will make a honest in my opinion reply..
Most fruit are high carb the lowest being advocado and berries. Dates although I love them and they for sure are a super food they are very high in carbs ( I have 4 a day with my 4 Olives ) 200 g of carbs with your main meal is also quite high and added to your fruit intake will make your Diet High carb. Try halving your carbs and see if it helps or going below 100g a day.
Many on here do much lower but that is not for all and especially if your weight is not to high.
Best luck Sir I wish you well Lots of reading on this site for helpful ideas.. Take care..
Also to add your reading from 2 years ago of HBA1C 7% is actually in the diabetic range here in the UK ( you may well be here ? ) they would repeat that test to make sure it was a true reading.

DiagnosticCriteriaPrediabetes.png

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes.html

Last edited:

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Due to wich my successive hba1c found to 6.2,5.9,5.8,6.1 etc.

Can you confirm that this was measured in a clinic on a doctor's advice?

What does your doctor say you should do to control your diabetes?

Are you taking any diabetes drugs?

Welcome to the forum.

Can you confirm that this was measured in a clinic on a doctor's advice?

What does your doctor say you should do to control your diabetes?

Are you taking any diabetes drugs?

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you sir,
Yes this was measured in a well reputed pathology on doctor's advice.
He told me to workout and reduce carb as well as fat intake.
No I am not taking any drug.
During the change in life style my weight is reduced to 62 from 75 kg.
My FBS is still ranging from 90 to 105 but after dinner blood glucose varies from 130 to 180.
I feeling too tired through out the day.How can I overcome this problem.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Thank you sir,
My FBS is still ranging from 90 to 105 but after dinner blood glucose varies from 130 to 180.

Hi again. I'm not a doctor but I can tell you that 18 months ago I felt like you describe I got a blood glucose monitor and tested before and two hours after every meal. Anything that spiked my sugars I cut out. So my diet has changed. I now eat eggs for breakfast , sometimes with tomatoes or mushrooms or advacado. For lunch I have vegetable stir fry or a salad with lots of olive oil dressing or a home made soup. For supper I have more vegetables with protein and I eat nuts ( walnuts, Brazil nuts and almonds) as a snack. I drink plenty of water , around 2+ liters per day. I walk or cycle any time I have to take a journey of less than 3 miles which is usually daily. .i have done this now for more than one year My energy levels now are good, better than for a Very long time. I take no medication. The first step in this journey was getting a blood sugar monitor so I could find out what was spiking my Sugar levels. I wish you well. Please let us know how you get on.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you sir,

I think the experience of @OrsonKartt given above is excellent information.

It is encouraging that your doctor asked you to reduce carb intake and has not prescribed drugs. Well done for reducing your weight and increasing exercise!

My doctor also gave me advice to reduce carbs, and said he wanted to try to avoid putting me on drugs. But he did not provide specific advice about which foods to eat on a day-to-day basis! At the beginning this was confusing for me, and I worried that there were not enough foods to eat!

First, I decided how much carbs I wanted to cut out. This is explained here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html.

Second, I found a lot of very useful information about the "good" low-carb foods here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb. It is surprising how many delicious foods are perfectly OK on a low-carb diet.

Third, in the long run I found it useful to set a "target" and for me the best "metric" was a blood test called the HbA1c. This is done about every three months, if you have been recently diagnosed (the gap between tests can vary quite a lot depending on the country and local practice). There is more information about this test here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html.

You said that your doctor advised you to reduce not only carbs, but also fat. This is a bit different to the kind of low-carb diet described in the above links, which is (broadly speaking) a "low-carb, high-fat" (LCHF) diet. I am not a doctor, but I think it is possible that you are feeling tired all day because have reduced fat intake too much. I suggest you ask your doctor about this.

Alternatively, you may be suffering from something called the "carb flu" which is not unusual for people who have recently started a low-carb diet. This usually goes away after a while. I have never had this (but I was very hungry for the first few weeks).

For what it's worth, I actually adopted the same diet advised by your doctor (low-carb, low-fat) and it worked fine for me.

I think the experience of @OrsonKartt given above is excellent information.

It is encouraging that your doctor asked you to reduce carb intake and has not prescribed drugs. Well done for reducing your weight and increasing exercise!

My doctor also gave me advice to reduce carbs, and said he wanted to try to avoid putting me on drugs. But he did not provide specific advice about which foods to eat on a day-to-day basis! At the beginning this was confusing for me, and I worried that there were not enough foods to eat!

First, I decided how much carbs I wanted to cut out. This is explained here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html.

Second, I found a lot of very useful information about the "good" low-carb foods here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb. It is surprising how many delicious foods are perfectly OK on a low-carb diet.

Third, in the long run I found it useful to set a "target" and for me the best "metric" was a blood test called the HbA1c. This is done about every three months, if you have been recently diagnosed (the gap between tests can vary quite a lot depending on the country and local practice). There is more information about this test here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html.

You said that your doctor advised you to reduce not only carbs, but also fat. This is a bit different to the kind of low-carb diet described in the above links, which is (broadly speaking) a "low-carb, high-fat" (LCHF) diet. I am not a doctor, but I think it is possible that you are feeling tired all day because have reduced fat intake too much. I suggest you ask your doctor about this.

Alternatively, you may be suffering from something called the "carb flu" which is not unusual for people who have recently started a low-carb diet. This usually goes away after a while. I have never had this (but I was very hungry for the first few weeks).

For what it's worth, I actually adopted the same diet advised by your doctor (low-carb, low-fat) and it worked fine for me.
Hi again,
Infact I also had a high level of bad cholesterols before diabetes,may be the
reason for reducing fat intake.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again, In fact I also had a high level of bad cholesterols before diabetes, may be the reason for reducing fat intake.

Quite possibly; only your doctor can confirm that. The question of "high level of bad cholesterol" is controversial but I don't know much about it. Perhaps someone on this forum can provide more perspective.

I have just looked at your first post again. It does not sound like a low-carb diet at all:

Due to wich my successive hba1c found to 6.2,5.9,5.8,6.1 etc.

Fruit juice, fruits in general, dates, and "cooked food (200g carbs)" sounds more like a "normal carb" diet. For instance, here in America, the "normal" daily allowance for someone who is not diabetic is 225g to 325g per day.

I suggest you consult the first link I provided in post#10 and try to figure out a plan for lowering the carbs in your diet. Then, the second link for the "food" details. Your recent HbA1c tests show that you managed to get down into the "pre-diabetic" range but if you adopted a true low-carb diet you might do better (and avoid having to take drugs later).

Once again I am not a doctor. I am really just explaining what worked for me. Good luck!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thanks definitely I am going to try lchf normal diet,than moderate and so on

It is an individual choice. I decided to use the "very low carb" diet (fewer than 30g per day) and it worked for me. But my HbA1c was much higher than yours is now. We are all different.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes ,But I have some fear about that too low carbs

Your fear is understandable. Being diagnosed with diabetes can be scary. It sounds like you have been trying to adapt to the disease for the past two years.

I can only speak from my experience. I was not "afraid" of the low-carb diet but I was, I must admit, very "skeptical" about whether it would "work." For the first two months on the diet, I was extremely anxious and worried that the doctor would have to put me on drugs. But then, when they tested me again after those two months I had made a huge reduction in my HbA1c.

Can you explain why you are afraid of the low-carb option? Is it because your friends or family think it is a bad idea? If so, this is not unusual, especially if your local culture and cuisine make abundant use of carbohydrate foods.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From here can I look towards a diabetic free life?

I don't know for sure what your HbA1c was at the time of diagnosis. But the first reading you provided in your first post is 6.2%. In America, that is not diabetes, but "pre-diabetes." It means that there is a risk that you will develop diabetes, if you do not change your lifestyle and especially your diet. In America, actual "diabetes" starts with an HbA1c of 6.5% or higher.

The advice often given to those with "pre-diabetes" like you is to try to get their HbA1c down to the "normal" range, and that means, 5.6% or below (here in America). Some of the time in the past two years, you have been close to achieving this goal. Well done!

If you can make diet changes so that your HbA1c stays in the "normal" range on a long-term basis, you will have "reversed" the progression of the disease. To make sure you stay in that "normal" range you will probably have to be careful about your diet for the rest of your life.

This is not exactly a "diabetic-free" life because you do have to be careful what you eat, while other people around you are eating lots of carbs and apparently not getting sick! But if you can avoid "progressing" to actual diabetes, you should be in good health. This is a good moment to work on that!