Newcastle diet.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 4 day 28.
Yes! Made it - half way so all down hill from here! Only 54 more shakes to go :) They are all lined up in the cupboard ready to go.

Good day today - three equal shakes, I am going back to these now. Although I cannot tell actual because after a brief recovery yesterday my Libre still looks low to me. I am seeing almost total back to square one in three hours now. I am seeing a flat about 1h20 then a drop at 1h40. All good.
Hunger has disappeared again - maybe the evening out of the calories helps I don't know. I am feeling very positive.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 5 - Day 29.
Impossible to tell levels because Libre back to saying I am LO in the mornings and will not pick up. Apparently I spent all of the down time today at 2.6! Not that there was much downtime outside driving. But if you believe the spikes they look ok to me - pretty standard to what I expect now.

It wasn't a typical day today - we did a charity day at work which basically means giving your labour to a charity for a day and so I spent the day doing a proper physical workout digging, lifting - weeding. Not something I would recommend to anyone on 800 calories a day so my shakes were consumed in quick succession all done by 4pm and veg just a little bit after that. So effectively it will be another 14hour fast till my next meal.

Needed energy rather than hungry today. Of course now I am on the downward stretch to real food of some variety I am once again feeling very positive.

My post 8 week plan are to move to a real food 800 calorie day for the first few days and over time start adding additional calories and starting to exercise more to turn them into muscle with luck. Read a very interesting article recently that someone gave me in paper form on muscle breaking then mending having a terrific effect on IR.

Reactions: Salvia

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 5 day 30.
No problems today but the Libre has finally given up the ghost and the sensors are in short supply. I hope one will be delivered before I go off on holiday next week.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 5 day 31 - weigh in.
A day earlier than normal because off on holiday tomorrow and no time to weigh and update then before I go.

Another 2lbs lost this week and that brings my total to roughly 17-18lbs or almost exactly 8Kgs.
To reach my 15% I would need to lose a further 10lbs, 5Kgs which I think is possible but unlikely. I was surprised to have lost any this week but I guess my charity day workout was good for my body as well as my soul!

All of my markers are now in the normal range and in some cases good. Most pleased with visceral fat which is now at 9. I do hope in the next 4 weeks I can get that down to 8.

Interesting articles today on HIT and Low Carb together as a great combination to reduce BG so as the weeks progress now and if anything stalls completely I might doing some of that. Apparently far more beneficial than cardio for lowering BG.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 6 Day 40
A day later than normal because as I have been on holiday.

So 4lbs lost but over more days so probably an average of 3lbs a week over the last two weeks.
All my weight markers are good now - BMI, height to waist - segments fat content, overall fat and visceral fat - though this is at 9 and I would dearly love to get to 8. With two weeks to go I am only 3KGS from losing 15% on the ND. Just to repeat I had lost three stone before I started it (which was needed!) but before I started this I was kind of happy with my weight.

I am losing more fat than muscle - in fact muscle after a little blip is consistent.

No BG results. Libre sensor did not arrive in time and I have to now go and pick it up. Though I am considering no BG testing for another week. I am not sure the point. I am not expecting any progress for at least another week - I am not going to change anything now with just over two weeks to go, my meals are consistent (boringly so) it just feels like a bit of a waste of sensors?

Tuesday will be the end of week 6 so with two weeks then to go and the sensor having two weeks to run - feels like a good time to apply it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Week 6 Day 40

So 4lbs lost but over more days so probably an average of 3lbs a week over the last two weeks.
All my weight markers are good now - BMI, height to waist - segments fat content, overall fat and visceral fat - though this is at 9 and I would dearly love to get to 8. With two weeks to go I am only 3KGS from losing 15% on the ND. Just to repeat I had lost three stone before I started it (which was needed!) but before I started this I was kind of happy with my weight.

I am losing more fat than muscle - in fact muscle after a little blip is consistent.

No BG results. Libre sensor did not arrive in time and I have to now go and pick it up. Though I am considering no BG testing for another week. I am not sure the point. I am not expecting any progress for at least another week - I am not going to change anything now with just over two weeks to go, my meals are consistent (boringly so) it just feels like a bit of a waste of sensors?

Tuesday will be the end of week 6 so with two weeks then to go and the sensor having two weeks to run - feels like a good time to apply it.

Keep up the great work!

Reactions: ziggy_w and Fleegle

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Fleegle

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm still rooting for you!
My experience of extreme calorie restriction has always been similar to yours - that each day is a constant effort so I really appreciate the effort and dedication that you are putting into this.

Have a hug.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I admire your dedication, @Fleegle. You've been on holiday and still managed to stay on the ND diet. That must have taken a lot of self-control.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: Fleegle

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 6 Day 40

Another well done from me Fleegle.

Just throwing a couple of things into the mix; In terms of your current visceral fat levels, if you were using my scales (Omrons), and returning a score of 9, you'd be into the "normal" range, so that has to be all good.

Secondly, I think in your shoes, I'd want a sensor I "had an understanding with" on my arm transitioning off the ND. I think I'd want it to be on for a few days before finishing to establish if it's running +/-, or whatever, and to see me off the extreme restriction onto another way of eating..

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another well done from me Fleegle.

Just throwing a couple of things into the mix; In terms of your current visceral fat levels, if you were using my scales (Omrons), and returning a score of 9, you'd be into the "normal" range, so that has to be all good.

Secondly, I think in your shoes, I'd want a sensor I "had an understanding with" on my arm transitioning off the ND. I think I'd want it to be on for a few days before finishing to establish if it's running +/-, or whatever, and to see me off the extreme restriction onto another way of eating..

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Thank you - very wise advice indeed.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 7 day 46.
About 3lbs lost this week. That surprised me that I still have not plateaued. I was expecting it to. Other than the dramatic loss in week 1, it has been consistent around 3lb per week. Obviously all of my weight based metrics are in good shape now and have been for a few weeks. Still loosing waist - another .5 inch this week which means I now own only two pairs of trousers that now fit.

I had a bit of a shake stock take this morning given all the boxes are opened and depleted and I have enough to get to the end plus 1 & 1/3rd additional day which obviously I will do. So my final day of the shakes will be Thursday 17th November for breakfast and then my daily dreams of fish can be realised.

I read on another thread that someone was watering down the shakes. No idea why - and it changes all of the macro's when replacing the skimmed milk with water. But it sounded like a very good idea to reduce Milk so I did the same replacing a third with water. They taste much better. less carbs and just need to find a replacement for the 115 cals.

I only have to lose a further 4lb to have achieved the 15% weight loss Prof T suggests so I think now that might be possible.

Tannith

BANNED
"I only have to lose a further 4lb to have achieved the 15% weight loss Prof T suggests so I think now that might be possible"
Brilliant. Very well done Fleegle

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 8 day 53. Weight update.
Only 3 more days to get to a full eight weeks then I have a couple of extra days to use all the shakes I have.

I am back on the Libre now so will start to report on some BG results once it is clearer.

Well I am a little surprised but I lost a few more pounds and when I take out all of the rounding I have now lost 15% of my body weight during this experiment. I am quite pleased with that.

Now - it is not all good news - the sclaes do fluctuate a little when you get into the detail but I have stopped loosing fat and indeed because I lost 3lbs my average fat has gone up a bit so I am not at my goal of being below 20% fat. However my post ND plan of doing a load of exercise and training should see me put on a bit of weight and change those dynamics.

I also didn't get my visceral fat to 8 which I also wanted to achieve.

One more week to go - well a few more days at least then I will do a "what was it really like" and hopefully banish a few myths that certain people keep publishing.

Then we will need to see what if any impact on my BG which I am a lot less optomstic about.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 8 Day 53
So my BG has been pretty good today.
I am watering down the shakes now - reduces carbs then making up the missing calories, fat and protein with some nuts.
Much less carbs. None the less breakfast was about 12g carbs and I had a peek under 8 that declined after about an hour. I went off like a rocket but 30mins in had slowed and I just had this slow increase.

Lunch which is much less carbs and dinner the same were both very slight blips and back down to around 5 - 5.5. after two hours.

So for me my BG has improved and by quite a lot. But that could easily be as a result of being starving when I eat and I need to see what normal food (Low Carb) and calories a day does.

Much better results than before I started.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go Fleegle! Finish is in view.
Suggest a slow reintroduction of carbs, testing BG readings as you go.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go Fleegle! Finish is in view.
Suggest a slow reintroduction of carbs, testing BG readings as you go.
Yes - great advice - I will be moving to a real food 800 calorie on Friday and slowly introducing carbs and calories.
Thanks for everyone's support - it seemed a long way at the beginning and here I am, 3 days to go.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - great advice - I will be moving to a real food 800 calorie on Friday and slowly introducing carbs and calories.
Thanks for everyone's support - it seemed a long way at the beginning and here I am, 3 days to go.

Fleegle - I must admit, I didn't record my VF reduction dates, as they notched down, but I will comment that even after I reached the weight I wanted to be, my shape continued to change for a little while.

I had always had an athletic physique (that is, not a hugely defined waist, but having maintained for a while, I "suddenly" reduced a further clothes size (to be fair, the clothes size became clear when I went to buy some new trousers and the smaller size fitted better). Looking at my body then in the full length mirror, "suddenly" I had a very defined waist. My weight was stable through this, and I have stayed a size 6 since.

Edited to add that I didn't do the ND. I just reduced my carbs, eating to my meter, and lost weight along the way.

Last edited: