ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We are all entitled to christmas treats.

What have you got planned?
Low carb feast?
Not so low-carb, or more alcohol planned?

What's your Christmas treat/treats now your type2?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ickihun

Not planning on doing anything too different as low carb treats are already built into my menu.

Christmas Day I will be at my Dad’s wife’s mother’s house and will relax my low carb a bit - maybe a few potatoes. Am thinking I might experiment with some low carb baking and take something along for dessert. Never did like Christmas Cake, Mince Pies etc. so no hardship to avoid those.

Interested to see the ideas of others though - might change my mind!

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, funny you should mention Christmas treats. I was thinking about this on Monday, as Christmas is a very big event in the Lyons household. Turkey ( tick ) Brussel Sprouts ( tick ) Roast potatoes ( nope ) Swede mash ( tick ) Carrots ( tick ) Yorkshire puddings ( maybe a small one ). Yup Christmas dinner I can scrape by, but it's the puddings...The delicious mince pies drowned in custard, the flaming Christmas pudding alight with brandy...sigh.. My life, all of a sudden has lost it's meaning.

Reactions: Eternal summer

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only thinking about Christmas Dinner yesterday (must be because I've started sorting out the Nativity Play at Nursery!)

I've given up potatoes completely - so no roasties on Christmas day - but I think that means I'm entitled to an extra sausage or two with the turkey. Which I think is an excellent swap personally :)

I'll have a little portion of Christmas pudding and custard as a treat - I'm not really a fan of mince pies anyway.

But just think of all that marvellous special cheese! We are going to Leeds on Saturday to meet up with my brother - and I've already told him that we need to go to the Christmas market and find a good cheese stall :)

Reactions: Serena51

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just drove 15miles to buy a cheese advent calendar from Asda!
05520978adbb62bdf1a992d2b359606d.jpg

Got mine too :)

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We always go out for lunch. I am finding it impossible to cater for my family AND keep track of 2 elderly ladies with dementia. So the actual diner is not a problem, although I did love pudding and custard.

Its the run up to the day I am going to find hard. We take all the grandchildren and parents and elderly ladies with dementia to a Christmas train. There are mince pies, sherry and hot choc for the grown ups. Saying hard to that will be difficult.

Not to mention parties, church functions and family gatherings. This is my first t2d Christmas. I know I will find it difficult, but in a lot of ways it will be much better. I am over 5st lighter, feel better and will be able to run after my mum when she makes a break for an unguarded exit!

And I am going to drink gin and eat cheese!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m going to stick to turkey, sautéed sprouts, a dab of sugar free cranberry sauce and proper gravy. Last year my daughter and I made low carb trifle and tiramisu and they were bloody gorgeous. So much so, my previous food ‘addiction’ kicked in and I ate too much.
My proper Christmas treat is having both my children and all my grandchildren with me because that’s a rare thing.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well, funny you should mention Christmas treats. I was thinking about this on Monday, as Christmas is a very big event in the Lyons household. Turkey ( tick ) Brussel Sprouts ( tick ) Roast potatoes ( nope ) Swede mash ( tick ) Carrots ( tick ) Yorkshire puddings ( maybe a small one ). Yup Christmas dinner I can scrape by, but it's the puddings...The delicious mince pies drowned in custard, the flaming Christmas pudding alight with brandy...sigh.. My life, all of a sudden has lost it's meaning.
Are you still on insulin mate?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We always go out for lunch. I am finding it impossible to cater for my family AND keep track of 2 elderly ladies with dementia. So the actual diner is not a problem, although I did love pudding and custard.

Its the run up to the day I am going to find hard. We take all the grandchildren and parents and elderly ladies with dementia to a Christmas train. There are mince pies, sherry and hot choc for the grown ups. Saying hard to that will be difficult.

Not to mention parties, church functions and family gatherings. This is my first t2d Christmas. I know I will find it difficult, but in a lot of ways it will be much better. I am over 5st lighter, feel better and will be able to run after my mum when she makes a break for an unguarded exit!

And I am going to drink gin and eat cheese!
A flask of double cream heated up with grated high content chocolate and hot water with sweetened to taste. Yummy, hot chocolate! Low carb too.

I use without water as chocolate sauce. Yummy with extra 90% chocolate grated on top at presentation time.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes buddy
I will message you some alternatives or insulin management depending on which food or drink.
Christmas is still on in the lyons home mate. For sure.
Just little tweeks and testing before and after to keep on top of naughty bgs.
Some find because more relaxed bgs are better, too.
No chore just plan old safe indulgence. Once a year. :)

Reactions: Robbieswan

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will message you some alternatives or insulin management depending on which food or drink.
Christmas is still on in the lyons home mate. For sure.
Just little tweeks and testing before and after to keep on top of naughty bgs.
Some find because more relaxed bgs are better, too.
No chore just plan old safe indulgence. Once a year. :)
Thank you so very much

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
image.jpeg
Oh so tempting.. A pork scratching advent calendar. Strange how a year or so ago I would habe found these so disgusting, but following advice of certain people, (you know who you are) they now seem irresistible.

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
View attachment 24514 Oh so tempting.. A pork scratching advent calendar. Strange how a year or so ago I would habe found these so disgusting, but following advice of certain people, (you know who you are) they now seem irresistible.
Where did you get that? Would love to get one!
Started going lower carb, higher fat, somewhat against Doctor's and Diabetic Unit's advice. Have lost 3 stone in a year and have cut from 91 units (Total insulin Novorapid and Lantus) to 50-52. Sorry, forgot to add, using Liraglutide as well. When I was on it, 30 years ago, reacted very badly to Metformin. Mood swings were almost violent. Chose insulin ahead of the idea of losing the plot and "Going Postal" as the Americans would say!