1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 : CHRISTMAS TREATS

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by ickihun, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Diligent500

Diligent500 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2. Diligent500

Diligent500 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For me it' Christmas Cake I am afraid and Christmas Pudding n Fresh Cream Yum.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

My lot make stuffing out of just sausage meat with black pepper and other seasoning, I always preferred this to the paxo type of stuffing.

4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

We are heading off to West Australia for xmas, as per usual it will be sea food lunch including the local fresh water Marron.

The only treat that we will have, is with being with our family and all the grand kids for the week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I always forget about this sort - so I'll unstuff some sausages and give it a go! I've just ordered some high meat content ones in this week's online shop - so thanks for the very timely reminder. :p

Robbity

• Like Like x 1
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

My family like this, too. I put in a little salt and a good sprinkling of Ina Paarmans Garlic Pepper.

7. Heretic1

Heretic1 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Breakfast on Christmas Day will be scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on Burgen Bread .... with Champagne.

Dinner will be full Christmas dinner WITH roast potatoes, Cranberry Sauce etc .... then sponge pud and custard - no holds barred! .... sod it - it’s Christmas.

Then a nice walk in the afternoon with the dog, before curling up in front of the TV, with some lovely cheeses and G&Ts!

Weather permitting - the dog gets a 5 mile run on Boxing Day morning.

Am I worried ... am I hell!

Enjoy

Oh - and I might throw in a few choccies for good measure!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sauron

Sauron Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Three days of having what I want without worrying about dieting or carbs and can't wait!

• Like Like x 1
  9. blanc71

blanc71 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Plenty of meat,3 bird roast ,pigs in duvets.
    Plenty of roasted veg.
    1 small spud.
    But one small slice of boozy home made Christmas cake.

10. Eternal summer

Eternal summer Type 2 · Member

I'm feeling your pain

11. pollensa

pollensa · Guest

Low carb feast plans here in Mallorca are based around diet doctor keto eating plan.....eating fabulously and healthy...

HAPPY FESTIVE EATING MENU DIABETIC STYLE MALLORCA....

Xmas Eve
    Homemade chicken stock soup with meatballs without breadcrumbs this soup traditonal in mallorca, usually pasta shells are stuffed with meatballs, but I will simply not use the past shells! sprinkle with coriander instead.

Canopes, eggs stuffed with pesto and piece of bacon on top, scotch eggs, sausage meat again no breadcrumbs, crunch walnuts to make crumbs instead, salamies, cheeses, seed breads, CELERY STUFFED WITH CHEESES, CHEESE BOARD, STUFFED MINI BELL PEPPERS WITH WHATEVER YOU LIKE.

Xmas Day
    Fresh asparagus soup
    Leg Lamb mint sauce no sugar its just as good. Pumpkin roasted instead of potatoes, sprouds, bacon and walnuts, green creamed green beans in butter, cream with grated lemon rind.
    Dessert. Wait for this, half cup strawberries cut into small pieces, walnuts, sunflower seeds, sesame, flax and cia, greek yogur, put all in different layers in a glass serve with walnuts on top....

New Years Eve
    Home made mushroom soup
    Beef wellington, I simply dont eat the pastry which will be made with Almond Flour anyway
    broc, caulifour, brus sprouts walnuts, red, green peppers fried with garlic MEDSTYLE
    Mushroom sauce made with butter, mushrooms and half bottle red wine....
    Dessert Choc Pudding!!! yes yes, Keto eating plan, only eggs, coconut milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla half slap 90% lindt chocolate see their recipe make put in glasses 2 hrs before serve, so its a healthy low carb special occasions dessert, not for everyday only for say New Year....

Cocktails, Dry Marti 0 Carbs!!!!! 100% and dry dry extra brut pink champers, 2 CARBS GLASS or chardonnay white wine, 2/3 DEPENDING ON DRYNESS again, not normally on the menu, but for Xmas and New Year a slurp here and there of them will be enjoyed,

Guilt pangs not one........a little thought, effort, one can eat fantastically, wth the lowest possible carbs in doing so, and simply go for a brisk 10 min walk after your meal to burn it all off.

Hope the above Mallorca festive days eating for a Pre diabetic will help others............

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A total blow-out for Christmas Day lunch at swanky hotel. Seven courses..... (They are small ones!) I will avoid the bread and the spuds but hell-for-leather on the rest, and probably a glass of wine. Good(ish) on the days before and after, with mounds of curried coconut flakes as my 'other' treat. I'm afraid I am addicted to the stuff.

13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Do you make the curried coconut flakes yourself, or are they bought? Seems like an interesting option. :)

14. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I make them myself, @DCUKMod. Along the lines of: melt some coconut oil (about a dessertspoon? - I just bung in a lump) in a bowl in microwave, chuck in curry powder and salt, and I add some garam masala, then add coconut flakes and stir very well until the flakes are coated. Spread on baking sheet (I use parchment paper but you probably don't need it) and then bake at 180c (or 200c is ok too) for 4-6 mins. Keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly. Take out, cool and restrain oneself from eating the lot. It keeps well in an airtight container. It has really helped with the crisps craving!

• Like Like x 1
  15. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Thank you. :)

16. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You can make lower carb mince pie using fake 'candied cranberries' mixed with a little bramley apple, butter or lard, and plenty of spices. Then make some almond flour pastry ( I cheat and just make a slightly large pie with a bottom layer of pastry as rolling out almond pastry is fiddly). Serve with proper egg custard using sweetener or with double cream.

try either of these:
    https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/dried-cranberries/
    https://www.carbwarscookbooks.com/2014-wrap-up-and-one-more-holiday-recipe-fruit-cake/

17. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Alternative to making fake mince pies or cake is chocolate mousse - just use 90% chocolate, double cream and a little sweetener is wanted.

18. rads41

rads41 Type 2 · Active Member

I’ve made the ( possibly rash) decision to relax rules over Christmas. I’ve only recently re-started my efforts to low carb again - bad time of year for it! We’re on holiday for two weeks and it usually turns in to an indulgent time. Potatoes don’t really spike me so roast dinner will be fine. It’s the other treats like chocolate and mince pies, which are abundant at this time of year that are my Achilles heel . I will manage with insulin ( 1.5 times per 10g carb for savoury carb and 2 times for sweet). I will also try to go out for walks with the family every second day at least. Back on it with a vengeance on the 5th Jan

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ajax

Ajax Type 2 · Well-Known Member

..✻normal✻ day

• Like Like x 1
  20. WackyJacky64

WackyJacky64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't like Christmas cake pudding or mince pies either, I'd rather have chocolate cake much nicer.
    Be good to know how the low carb baking turns out :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook