Blood Sugar Blueprint - Microbiome Testing

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
I am not sure if you have seen this video...

It’s a talk by a company in Israel that has done research and found that glucose response depends on an individual’s microbiome and can be predicted with a sample.

Now, I found a contact for this company in Israel that has done this exciting research, but they will only test Israelis and Americans.

The research seems relatively simply to replicate with access to 1000 individuals and utilising AI. But my extensive research has yielded a blank.

Do you know of any company or institution that can do this please?

Reactions: OrsonKartt

rider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very interesting TED talk there Kate. Thanks for searching this out and posting. Though I cannot answer your question, this does put forward a clear message of how, starting with generic recommendations, we need to figure out what works best for each one of us. Right now it is more of a hit and trial method ... but hope this test, even in its most rudimentary form becomes available to the masses.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
It seems to me that my only option is to buy a 24/7 monitor and check the results myself

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But I am yet to see any research that shows ANYONE is better on a high carb diet, then a moderate low carb diet..... So way not remove the worce sorced of glucose from all of our lifes, and remove them from all children's lifes?

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a fascinating talk. We all know that different foods spike some individuals and not others but only by regular testing. Continuous monitors allow you to see what is happening throughout 24 hours and tell us even more.

Reactions: Kate_B

rider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems to me that my only option is to buy a 24/7 monitor and check the results myself
And that is what I have been doing for the last 90 days. Got a freestyle libre and that provides sufficient indications on what works and what does not. Building up the knowledge base - but only based on my limited natural intelligence - no artificial intelligence there

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
What surprises me is that they have effectively found the holy grail. Well from my perspective, but no one else has replicated the method.

What frustrates me is that they will only do this for Israelis and Americans.

I’m hoping that others have some additional data.

tubamanandy

A fairly `cheap` way of doing this this is what I've done: 1) Buy a Libre sensor (circa £50), download the app to a compatible phone 3) Buy very small amount of TEgaderm (£2 ish) then you are away for 2 weeks !!

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
A fairly `cheap` way of doing this this is what I've done: 1) Buy a Libre sensor (circa £50), download the app to a compatible phone 3) Buy very small amount of TEgaderm (£2 ish) then you are away for 2 weeks !!
Hi Andy, that is the system that I’m considering.

I thought you needed to buy the sensor and a needle pack?

Unfortunately the device doesn’t work with my phone, so I’ll be logging the results into a spreadsheet unless there’s a way to export them.

What do you use the Tegaderm for?

tubamanandy

Tegaderm goes over the sensor - thin, waterproof, knock proof, you need it. Can just buy a sensor and use a compatible phone (I use an old phone). Not sure what the needle pack is ???

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not sure if you have seen this video...

It’s a talk by a company in Israel that has done research and found that glucose response depends on an individual’s microbiome and can be predicted with a sample.

Now, I found a contact for this company in Israel that has done this exciting research, but they will only test Israelis and Americans.

The research seems relatively simply to replicate with access to 1000 individuals and utilising AI. But my extensive research has yielded a blank.

Do you know of any company or institution that can do this please?

Thanks for sharing this video, very interesting and I'm sure there is more to come from the new study. Regards

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Tegaderm goes over the sensor - thin, waterproof, knock proof, you need it. Can just buy a sensor and use a compatible phone (I use an old phone). Not sure what the needle pack is ???
Thanks for the advice Andy. As I’m an iPhone user, I think I’ll buy a cheap Android phone and use that with the sensors. I was confused about the needle pack; that is the sensor that has the needle in with it.

Here’s the question I asked the manufacturer; but you may be able to help...

Can I export to an Excel spreadsheet?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice Andy. As I’m an iPhone user, I think I’ll buy a cheap Android phone and use that with the sensors. I was confused about the needle pack; that is the sensor that has the needle in with it.

@Scott-C and @Peter_Sylvester are the two people I can think of who use the libre so may be able to help.

rider

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi Kate, the menu options on the Android app give you the graphs. See image. The Android app does allow you to export the graphs into OneNote/Google Keep/Evernote etc., But just as images and not data points. These graphs are helpful to see trends. Very useful graphs at that.

If you get the libre reader as well along with your libre tags, the reader does connect to a computer to download data and enable graphs on the computer.

The graphs on the Android app provides quite some good graphs.

If you buying an Android phone, buy one that supports NFC.

I prefer the phone app as then there is nothing extra to carry.

Hope this info helps.
38b624584c6db0aa74250fbe523ba887.jpg

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi, Kate, @bulkbiker tagged me in on this.

I don't know what the score is with using a phone to scan, but with the reader, you can connect it to a computer and then use the proprietary software (hunt around on the libre site and you'll find it to download to your own pc) and that will then give you a wide variety of graphs, from straightforward daily graphs showing each day, others which show timing and amount of post meal spikes, and a thing called an AGP graph - it's like an a1c on steroids: you can select a date range and it'll then use some statistical jiggery-pokery to collate all the daily graphs for that period, to show in a single graph a 'typical' day, so makes it easier to spot recurring themes and patterns.

Or you can also use the software to download from the reader a simple csv text file showing 15 minute readings which you can then import into a spreadsheet.

There's maybe ways of doing the same with the phone app, but I don't know as I only used it very briefly - I found the palm sized reader was easier to scan with than a phone. Some phones are a bit sketchy at "finding" the sensor to read it, and I was getting strange looks waving a phone past my arm!

There's a lengthy thread at the link below by maglil, who found libre very useful from a T2 perspective - lots of hints and tips from her on the practical aspects and what she learned from the data.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/life-with-libre.118450/

They're very powerful tools if you're looking to find out stuff you'd miss with strips.

Have fun with it!

Reactions: bulkbiker

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Hi Kate, the menu options on the Android app give you the graphs. See image. The Android app does allow you to export the graphs into OneNote/Google Keep/Evernote etc., But just as images and not data points. These graphs are helpful to see trends. Very useful graphs at that.

If you get the libre reader as well along with your libre tags, the reader does connect to a computer to download data and enable graphs on the computer.

The graphs on the Android app provides quite some good graphs.

If you buying an Android phone, buy one that supports NFC.

I prefer the phone app as then there is nothing extra to carry.

Hope this info helps.
Hi Rider,

Actually you helped me more than you think.

I already have an iPhone and thought that the only way of getting data was from an Android phone. I don’t see much point in buying another phone if the data can be downloaded from the dedicated reader which is undoubtedly smaller and lighter.

So thank you for that, it has been most helpful.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Hi, Kate, @bulkbiker tagged me in on this.

I don't know what the score is with using a phone to scan, but with the reader, you can connect it to a computer and then use the proprietary software (hunt around on the libre site and you'll find it to download to your own pc) and that will then give you a wide variety of graphs, from straightforward daily graphs showing each day, others which show timing and amount of post meal spikes, and a thing called an AGP graph - it's like an a1c on steroids: you can select a date range and it'll then use some statistical jiggery-pokery to collate all the daily graphs for that period, to show in a single graph a 'typical' day, so makes it easier to spot recurring themes and patterns.

Or you can also use the software to download from the reader a simple csv text file showing 15 minute readings which you can then import into a spreadsheet.

There's maybe ways of doing the same with the phone app, but I don't know as I only used it very briefly - I found the palm sized reader was easier to scan with than a phone. Some phones are a bit sketchy at "finding" the sensor to read it, and I was getting strange looks waving a phone past my arm!

There's a lengthy thread at the link below by maglil, who found libre very useful from a T2 perspective - lots of hints and tips from her on the practical aspects and what she learned from the data.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/life-with-libre.118450/

They're very powerful tools if you're looking to find out stuff you'd miss with strips.

Have fun with it!
Thanks Scott,

You have changed my mind on this; I was going to buy sensors and an Android phone, but reading what you and @rider wrote, I’ve decided that sensors and the reader is the way to go for me. I don’t want to be carrying around two phones and I’m not prepared to move from IOS to Android.

Also, many thanks for the link to the main thread.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How long do the readers last on one charger etc? Given how often my phone runs out of charge, I expect the readers are a lot more dependable.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How long do the readers last on one charger etc? Given how often my phone runs out of charge, I expect the readers are a lot more dependable.

Reader lasts a week or two on one charge.

I was quite taken with the idea of the phone app initially but the novelty soon wore off. Reader is tiny palm sized so quite discreet if scanning in public - people just think you're scratching your arm if they notice at all. Whereas with the phone, the fully lit and much larger phone is facing out, so much more noticeable, beeps, and just attracts attention if you're having to wave it about a bit to find the sensor. I'm not shy at all about injecting or testing in public, but don't want to look like a doofus waving a phone around all over the place. I once had a guy giving me the evil eye in a pub thinking I was surreptitiously filming his girlfriend!