Poundshop Low Carb Purchases

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found two useful items in the Poundshop this morning :)
Carb free pork scratchings, a multipack of 5 virtually no carbs and 20 Milk Pots which are 10mls each pot, 1g carbohydrate each, small enough to carry a couple in my handbag for coffee stops when I fancy a change from black coffee.
And they both cost, you’ve guessed it £1!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I snaffled some small pots of cream from a coffee shop - very unusual to find those (usually semi-skimmed milk). Also building up a stock of individual sachets of Heinz mayonnaise........the woman in John Lewis gave me a funny look when I picked a few up to accompany my Diet Coke!

Reactions: Arlmy and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I snaffled some small pots of cream from a coffee shop - very unusual to find those (usually semi-skimmed milk). Also building up a stock of individual sachets of Heinz mayonnaise........the woman in John Lewis gave me a funny look when I picked a few up to accompany my Diet Coke!
Ooooh I used to take two sachets of mayo in cafes and use one and keep one for next time...

My brother gave me two catering boxes of Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise sachets for my birthday this year, so now I carry my own stash! I don't go anywhere without hardboiled eggs, sachets of mayo and a couple of sheets of kitchen roll!

I'm not keen on Heinz mayo, as it somehow manages to taste both soapy and oversweet. Before the days of my very own catering box of them, I'd actively frequent cafes that offered Hellmann's!

Nobody's ever batted an eyelid when I go out for coffee and cake with mates at a cafe, and have coffee from the cafe, and an egg and some mayo from my handbag.

:)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooooh I used to take two sachets of mayo in cafes and use one and keep one for next time...

My brother gave me two catering boxes of Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise sachets for my birthday this year, so now I carry my own stash! I don't go anywhere without hardboiled eggs, sachets of mayo and a couple of sheets of kitchen roll!

I'm not keen on Heinz mayo, as it somehow manages to taste both soapy and oversweet. Before the days of my very own catering box of them, I'd actively frequent cafes that offered Hellmann's!

Nobody's ever batted an eyelid when I go out for coffee and cake with mates at a cafe, and have coffee from the cafe, and an egg and some mayo from my handbag.

I carry nuts and 85% chocolate in my bag. My friends are now used to me delving in my bag for snacks while they munch on cake!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I carry nuts and 85% chocolate in my bag.
Perfect! I like having access to my own supplies of what I might want to be eating when those around me are having the likes of almond croissants or lemon drizzle cake - it saves a lot of bother!

Once I start on nuts though I just can't stop - so I try my very hardest not to buy them (says the girl who has eaten 50g almonds for pudding at lunchtime...... shhhhhhhhhh!).

Reactions: Gemma2 and Rachox

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I agree. No to Heinz or kraft. Hellmanns or my Just Mayo that tastes just like Hellmanns but is not soy oil ( yes, our Hellmanns is soy, lol)
And.....now I’m craving egg with mayo! Anything with mayo actually. Might do some tuna and egg for lunch

Reactions: heh and Goonergal

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a 2 egg mayo for my lunch (Hellmans of course), with a pickled onion sliced up and spread ontop, 6 small cherry toms, some flaxseed sprinkled on, and half a toasted Lidl roll. . The mayo was spooned on very generously.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a 2 egg mayo for my lunch (Hellmans of course), with a pickled onion sliced up and spread ontop, 6 small cherry toms, some flaxseed sprinkled on, and half a toasted Lidl roll. . The mayo was spooned on very generously.
A necessity! No other way to do it!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I carry nuts and 85% chocolate in my bag. My friends are now used to me delving in my bag for snacks while they munch on cake!

Perfect! I like having access to my own supplies of what I might want to be eating when those around me are having the likes of almond croissants or lemon drizzle cake - it saves a lot of bother!

Once I start on nuts though I just can't stop - so I try my very hardest not to buy them (says the girl who has eaten 50g almonds for pudding at lunchtime...... shhhhhhhhhh!).

Me too. I love the confusion on people’s faces when I pour cream into my tea, tuck into nuts or pork crackling and they obviously wonder how I’m losing weight.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I the only one that thinks Hellmans doesn't taste like proper mayonaise? Just an emulsified nothing and far too pallid in colour !
Well not according to this Guardian article
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jul/01/how-to-make-perfect-mayonnaise

and personally, I love the 'optional' garlic though that is really aioli.
I used it o always make my own mayo but I stopped because I became intolerant to raw egg and didn’t like using refined oils.
I did however have the best luck with the emmersion blender method. It never broke.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used it o always make my own mayo but I stopped because I became intolerant to raw egg and didn’t like using refined oils.
I did however have the best luck with the emmersion blender method. It never broke.

Must get back to making my own mayo - nothing in a jar comes close. Just trying to get back to low carbing again after my surgery and chest infection. Difficult at this cold time of year especially now that my thyroid isn't working as well as it should. But I just bought Tom Kerridge's "Dopamine Diet" to encourage myself, so I hope it will work.

I was just at a "joint school" this afternoon to prepare for surgery on one of my bad knees and was told that I would be put on a high carb diet to give me energy to heal and exercise. Oh boy! Just what I need.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Must get back to making my own mayo - nothing in a jar comes close. Just trying to get back to low carbing again after my surgery and chest infection. Difficult at this cold time of year especially now that my thyroid isn't working as well as it should. But I just bought Tom Kerridge's "Dopamine Diet" to encourage myself, so I hope it will work.

I was just at a "joint school" this afternoon to prepare for surgery on one of my bad knees and was told that I would be put on a high carb diet to give me energy to heal and exercise. Oh boy! Just what I need.
Sorry for all your struggles! Happy to see you back!
What oil/ oils do you use for mayo? Can you tweak bottled by adding garlic or lemon? Horseradish?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for all your struggles! Happy to see you back!
What oil/ oils do you use for mayo? Can you tweak bottled by adding garlic or lemon? Horseradish?

I use extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin has much more flavour, I find. I have have added lemon juice to Hellmans but it ends up too sloppy. I do like lemon though and probably add more than I should. I like garlic but it doesn't always suit and I wouldn't touch horseradish with a barge-pole! Fussy, that's me.

JeanCL

How crazy is that - uncontrolled diagnosis obstructs healing, surely!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin has much more flavour, I find. I have have added lemon juice to Hellmans but it ends up too sloppy. I do like lemon though and probably add more than I should. I like garlic but it doesn't always suit and I wouldn't touch horseradish with a barge-pole! Fussy, that's me.
You could use zest instead of the lemon.

I find EVOO to be much too bitter. So I would use 1/3 and then a lighter less flavorful oil to cut the bitter.
As long as I have salt added after whatever it is I’m eating that’s good enough for me. I love gooey creamy food!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Brilliant idea about the sachets. Have you any idea where they can be bought?