Weekly weigh in - Fridays

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
72.1 Kg today. Down from 72.8 Kg this time last week. I did a lot of walking yesterday and resisted the urge for late night snacks. :)

Reactions: Prem51

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great achievements.

Just bought a fitbit. Well it came free with new phone. No running machine in bedroom yet but I'm hoping it can, 2man job, moved soon. Although not sure if wide enough for walking stick too but could try without and try building up stamina. Not sure how its going to go but, we'll see.
Low carbing again but not as strict as 60g like my first starting attempt.
Roll on next friday for a more serious weigh-in for me.

Have you thought of trying a recumbent bike? I read about these on someone elses thread and am thinking of giving it a go. They are an exercise bike where you are basically laying down. It puts no strain on your hips knees or back. I have not seen any negative reviews about them, and am going to do a bit more research, but they sound interesting. The only drawback will be the amount of room they take up. (And the cost, of course).

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have you thought of trying a recumbent bike? I read about these on someone elses thread and am thinking of giving it a go. They are an exercise bike where you are basically laying down. It puts no strain on your hips knees or back. I have not seen any negative reviews about them, and am going to do a bit more research, but they sound interesting. The only drawback will be the amount of room they take up. (And the cost, of course).
I love those atthe gym but not visiting gym at mo. I have a runningmschine which is dormant. Small bungalow with partner and 2 kids. I just havent the room:(:( :(

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love those atthe gym but not visiting gym at mo. I have a runningmschine which is dormant. Small bungalow with partner and 2 kids. I just havent the room:(:( :(

Ickihun - I have posted about this a lot in the past, but when I heard the researcher speak, then had a conversation with his later, I was very struck by the findings of a relatively recent study (2015, but ongoing) at Leicester by Dr Joe Henson

https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press...ber/standing-up-helps-prevent-type-2-diabetes

More details here: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/7/1/e014267.full.pdf

In the briefest terms, his team found that standing for 5 minutes ever hour significantly reduced blood sugars and improved insulin levels in overweight/obese patients; particularly women. Whilst he wholeheartedly embraces the 30 minutes, 5 days a week tenet, he feels that the 5 minute standing can be a linchpin, with anything else on top being a bonus, particularly for those whose mobility is reduced/impaired. The big impact is gained by utilising the large muscle groups required to actually stand up.

Exercise doesn't have to be complicated or horribly exerting to be effective.

Reactions: Salvia and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun - I have posted about this a lot in the past, but when I heard the researcher speak, then had a conversation with his later, I was very struck by the findings of a relatively recent study (2015, but ongoing) at Leicester by Dr Joe Henson

https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press...ber/standing-up-helps-prevent-type-2-diabetes

More details here: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/7/1/e014267.full.pdf

In the briefest terms, his team found that standing for 5 minutes ever hour significantly reduced blood sugars and improved insulin levels in overweight/obese patients; particularly women. Whilst he wholeheartedly embraces the 30 minutes, 5 days a week tenet, he feels that the 5 minute standing can be a linchpin, with anything else on top being a bonus, particularly for those whose mobility is reduced/impaired. The big impact is gained by utilising the large muscle groups required to actually stand up.

Exercise doesn't have to be complicated or horribly exerting to be effective.
I've been using stable walking and keeping a log in the thread which a few use and snapsy is doing brilliantly on. Hopefully me one day.
With a 4yr old and ill partner i am standing alot......waiting mainly. Ha ha

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My daughter has come on holiday from Kinshasa and she up changed my(sorry her) scale from stones to K so now I am 43.3
CAROL

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@DCUKMod I've just realised higher bgs on an evening lately as sleeping a lot more but off and on waking up at 4amish and not being able to go back to sleep. Not sure if thyroid related as only cold when near a hypo. I'll see how this pans out.
Did more walking today but had to get a taxi back as I was in agony. More planned tomorrow. No matter the weather. Onwards and upwards. Ps. Far more healthier than this time last year. :) :) :) 4st lighter too. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm keen to see what I'm weighing so far. May weigh-in mid week just to get some perspective. Otherwise I may need to weigh myself daily, just til weight loss in right direction again.
If I stay the same I don't mind either as treats are in the home now for xmas. My Christmas ends with the grand finale of Christmas Day and a Boxing Day visit. I don't drink anymore so my old tradition of bringing New Year with alcohol has gone and cosying in to my children on New Year's Day has huge more appeal.
Merry Christmas to all. ;)

Reactions: rainbow79

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Weighed myself last night it was 120.90kgs and this morning as a mid-week weigh-in I'm 120.30kgs so heading in the right direction again. With water tummy (from tramadol and metformin).
I did have 119.60kgs 8wks ago (1.5lb difference). Onwards and upwards! ;)
I'm delighted. See you friday for full week weigh-in, for me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've noticed when no seafood or veg my thyroid is becoming my friend again. Great help when thyroid is happy to play ball.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

According to my scales I am 0.7kg heavier than last week, but have taken my belt in another notch this week and have lost 1.5cms from each of my waist and hips over the past 2 weeks, so happy with that.

@Contralto interesting what you say about hunger - mine has also gone up this week. Will be keeping a close eye on that.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started 115.3 kg BMI 39.8 5.4.17
Today 66.4 kg BMI 22.9
Lost 48.9kg

Not trying to lose any more - but hanging out on this thread as I try to maintain :)

0.3 kg down this week - despite the huge amount of baking I've done for Church Christmas Fair tomorrow.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all.
Started 101kgs.
Today. 67 kgs
Lost. 34 kgs.

Had a bad week. Granddaughter 3 has been in hospital with croup again. Fourth time this year and she is only 10 months old. Blue light ambulance from the out of hours doctor service. My poor daughter in law. I have had the other children and been staying at thier house to help because daddy works away from home.

Her sister has also had it but is older so coped a bit better. But sleep is a distant memory. Last night was better. Home this morning for change of clothes and going back in a minute. Luckily they dont live too far away.

Hopefully she is not going to get it again. She is home now and has an inhaler etc so hoping we can manage without going back to the ward.

Anyway, I have not been eating well. So although I am down on last week for weight my bgl has been creeping up. Probably due to the chocolate I eat in the middle of the night, but not eating any dinner. Hoping to get back to normal this week coming.

I am in the odd position of having lost weight and for the first time in my adult life not being very happy about it. Would much rather have had better bgl control. It scares me when it goes high and I know its partly because of something I have done ( chocolate) but mostly because of things outside my control ( stress, worry, fear and tiredness).

This week has really made me realise how much we are at the mercy of diabetes. I take medication for other health problems, and if I keep to the tablets etc its mostly fine. Diabetes isnt really like that. Although I KNEW that, I didnt really see how it would affect me. Now I do .

Sorry about the moaning. Nobody else to.tell that would really understand and I wouldnt dream of mentioning this to family. We have all had a really bad enough week!

Hoping that she is over the worst. Last night was much better.

Hoping you are all well. So much respect for all of you who cope with so much on a daily basis and manage to have a good life.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morning all.

According to my scales I am 0.7kg heavier than last week, but have taken my belt in another notch this week and have lost 1.5cms from each of my waist and hips over the past 2 weeks, so happy with that.

@Contralto interesting what you say about hunger - mine has also gone up this week. Will be keeping a close eye on that.
May be feeding muscle mass. Muscle weighs heavier than fat remember.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'VE LOST - hopefully back to losing again. :) :) :)

Now 119.90kgs before ablusions this morning. Tramadol still causing water tummy. Always worse on a night as I take furosemide on a morning. So once furosemide kicks in I'd be less.
I was 120.90 last week so 1kg loss this week!!!
In par with what I usually lose. I'm very happy. :) :) :)

I will weigh mid week again to just check no hiccups.

Hope everyone is happy with their weight change this week?

Reactions: Polgara and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Small loss this week of 0.3kg, slow but sure! :)

Started 115kg 9thMay’17
Today 88kg 1st Dec’17
Total lost = 27kg/4 stone 3 1/2lb

Last edited:
Reactions: Polgara and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morning all.
Started 101kgs.
Today. 67 kgs
Lost. 34 kgs.

Had a bad week. Granddaughter 3 has been in hospital with croup again. Fourth time this year and she is only 10 months old. Blue light ambulance from the out of hours doctor service. My poor daughter in law. I have had the other children and been staying at thier house to help because daddy works away from home.

Her sister has also had it but is older so coped a bit better. But sleep is a distant memory. Last night was better. Home this morning for change of clothes and going back in a minute. Luckily they dont live too far away.

Hopefully she is not going to get it again. She is home now and has an inhaler etc so hoping we can manage without going back to the ward.

Anyway, I have not been eating well. So although I am down on last week for weight my bgl has been creeping up. Probably due to the chocolate I eat in the middle of the night, but not eating any dinner. Hoping to get back to normal this week coming.

I am in the odd position of having lost weight and for the first time in my adult life not being very happy about it. Would much rather have had better bgl control. It scares me when it goes high and I know its partly because of something I have done ( chocolate) but mostly because of things outside my control ( stress, worry, fear and tiredness).

This week has really made me realise how much we are at the mercy of diabetes. I take medication for other health problems, and if I keep to the tablets etc its mostly fine. Diabetes isnt really like that. Although I KNEW that, I didnt really see how it would affect me. Now I do .

Sorry about the moaning. Nobody else to.tell that would really understand and I wouldnt dream of mentioning this to family. We have all had a really bad enough week!

Hoping that she is over the worst. Last night was much better.

Hoping you are all well. So much respect for all of you who cope with so much on a daily basis and manage to have a good life.
Now you know these affects and when your affected more.....test more. I know hard but grab a few mins in a toilet break to check sugar and eat with meds, if on metformin.
You will get into your survival mode and make it a routine, for you. Your important too. Children need to 100% all the time or close to it.
Do it for them. Keep testing, meds and eat regularly. Less maybe if white bread sandwich e.g half now and other half later. It works, for me. Try making it a priority for good bgs. Please.
Of course you've lost but don't let it become a rebound after things settle down. Keep testing hun.
Thinking of you.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I stopped posting on this thread as my weight was more or less the same every weight.
But having been away for 4 weeks my weight has reduced from 152.6 lbs before I went away to 145.4 lbs today, a loss of over seven lbs! :)

Reactions: Polgara