Jump of 4.2 after lunch!

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Only me! So I know it will take time to get my blood sugar working the way I want it to, but I'm really frustrated with this afternoons reading. I read about lidls protein rolls so iff I went to buy some. Took reading before lunch and got 5.6 (it's been in the 8s and 9s this last week) made myself a protein roll with a slice of wafer thin ham, a scraping of cheese spread, a tickle of mustard and 2 three thin slices of tomato. No crisps, no pudding (not even a cheeky advent choccy) took my reading 1.5 hours later and I got a reading of 9.8 :facepalm: ugh I just don't get it. Tell me it gets easier, please!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It gets easier. Your body may well be so used to producing a large amount of glucose at each meal that it will take a few days for it to adjust its production. Well done on the 5.6 pre-meal reading.

Just as an aside, you can have a generous amount of butter and ham, as they dont affect your blood sugars in the same way as carbs, and you need protein and fats to compensate for your carb reduction : )

I leave my post meal test until 2 hours afterwards, as recommended by Daisy1's post. Have you had her post on the basics?

Reactions: cherrydarling_

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your pre-lunch score. That was wonderful.
Did you re-test either of these scores? They were both unexpected, so always worth a re-test. We all get rogue readings from time to time. Either one of them could have been rogue.
I also wonder why you are testing at 90 minutes and not 2 hours? The guideline targets are at 2 hours after first bite. You are almost always likely to be higher at 90 minutes as we tend to peak around that time (depending on the contents of the meal), although it still seems a big rise for that meal.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In time, testing becomes like second nature and the surprises become fewer and fewer. My readings are running high at the moment because I've recently had steroid injections but I was prepared for this as members had warned me about it. The more you read of other peoples' experiences then the more you learn what can and does raise your levels and about those pesky rogue readings.
Keep at it, you're doing well.

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It gets easier. Your body may well be so used to producing a large amount of glucose at each meal that it will take a few days for it to adjust its production. Well done on the 5.6 pre-meal reading.

Just as an aside, you can have a generous amount of butter and ham, as they dont affect your blood sugars in the same way as carbs, and you need protein and fats to compensate for your carb reduction : )

I leave my post meal test until 2 hours afterwards, as recommended by Daisy1's post. Have you had her post on the basics?
I guess i just hoped my post meal reading would be super low today :( thanks for the tips on butter and ham, that' made me happy:)

Reactions: karen8967

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well done on your pre-lunch score. That was wonderful.
Did you re-test either of these scores? They were both unexpected, so always worth a re-test. We all get rogue readings from time to time. Either one of them could have been rogue.
I also wonder why you are testing at 90 minutes and not 2 hours? The guideline targets are at 2 hours after first bite. You are almost always likely to be higher at 90 minutes as we tend to peak around that time (depending on the contents of the meal), although it still seems a big rise for that meal.
I retested and retested again :happy: as for the 90 minutes testing it all depends on when the littlun has her nap, as she likes to nap in my bed...with me. And I generally fall straight asleep :joyful: so I test before the two hours so I know I've tested at some point after lunch! Here's' hoping my future pre -meal reading are as low as today!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess i just hoped my post meal reading would be super low today :( thanks for the tips on butter and ham, that' made me happy:)
I would have needed some avocado or something fatty with that meal to keep things lower and slower. Carbs and protein with very little fat would spike me.

What was your next reading?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
must be the roles. nothing else is significant. remember it can read 10% either way so the pre food could have been at the lower end and the post meal at the upper end. that would give a difference of just under 2. only way to check is wait until your bloods are in range and try a roll test every 15 mins for 2 hours and see what it does.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just one more thing. Are your hands clean? I have been known to.chop strawberries for my grand daughter, wash my hands and then wipe them on the tea towel we had been using over lunch.

I was so disappointed that my low carb lunch gave me a post lunch bgl of 12.5!
My daughter laughed at me! Gave me a clean towel and I tried again. 6.8.
My rambling point is that its easy to forget sometimes that our hands might not be clean, even if we think they are.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are 9 grams carbs in a Lidl High Protein Roll. Last night I had a couple of slices of HiLo bread from Sainsburys (5 gr carbs per slice) with melted cheese. This morning my blood sugars were 6.3 when they were typically averaging about 5.7 before. So I assume eating these high protein breads can have a lasting effect on blood sugars.

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just one more thing. Are your hands clean? I have been known to.chop strawberries for my grand daughter, wash my hands and then wipe them on the tea towel we had been using over lunch.

I was so disappointed that my low carb lunch gave me a post lunch bgl of 12.5!
My daughter laughed at me! Gave me a clean towel and I tried again. 6.8.
My rambling point is that its easy to forget sometimes that our hands might not be clean, even if we think they are.
Yes, I use pre injection wipes to clean my hands/fingers before testing, I'm quite ocd with that :joyful:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an example. One carb raises me about 7 (us) points. So 9 carbs would have raised me 63 points and I could probably add more as it was a grain. And I could add a lot more if it was early in the day

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I use pre injection wipes to clean my hands/fingers before testing, I'm quite ocd with that :joyful:

Do they have alcohol? I was advised not to use wipes with alcohol. You can buy special wipes for this, but as my instructions on the meter say warm water and ordinary soap, this is what I do.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do they have alcohol? I was advised not to use wipes with alcohol. You can buy special wipes for this, but as my instructions on the meter say warm water and ordinary soap, this is what I do.
I too was advised not to use alcohol wipes. I got a reading 100 points over once. In the bin they went.

Soap and water and very dry hands

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use non alcohol baby wipes for hand cleaning when not close to a sink - never had a rogue reading.
With my protein rolls I have either a whole boil in the bag pack of kippers, or a large salad with three eggs and lots of real cheese, a tomato, celery sticks, or some left over chicken thighs - I just raid the fridge.
I think that you are out of balance with the proportions - one measly slice of wafer thin ham is just too small - half a dozen slices of wafer thin or two slices of proper ham - and butter rather than anything 'spreadable' and a heap of coleslaw or a load of salad - it would raise my levels by two whole points at 2 hours but I only need to eat that when I get up and I am not hungry for the rest of the day. The concept of the carbs being 'the good stuff' just doesn't work with diabetes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
With my high protein rolls I only ever have half of one at a time, mainly because a whole one is too filling with all the rest of the meal. I would eat a whole one toasted if it was all I was having apart from a mound of butter. They do very little to my levels. I have tested the same meals with and without them, no real difference.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would try half the roll and lots of ham and butter and test and also think how full you feel and if not full enough next time add some cheese that way you are learning about your bgs and also about how much food you need with a meal
CAROL

Reactions: Bluetit1802

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I checked and couldnt see alcohol anywhere, but think I'll use soap and water in future just yo on safe side!