Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wiflib
This thread is to help cherrydarling to understand her blood glucose readings after food, not for a derailment into extreme low carbing.

Reactions: lucylocket61

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people are too focused on pushing their own agenda to concentrate on this point made by @Brunneria

I have seen quite a few new forum members driven off by excessively severe low carb advice. For many, the shock of diagnosis is bad enough. Being told to get rid of bread as well can be just too much. Especially when their meter can easily inform them, after systematic testing, what they can tolerate or not. What works for them.

I love low carbing, but it took a long time for me to adjust. If someone had stormed in announcing that I had to go from a normally carby diet to severe restriction, then I would have dismissed them as extreme and very off putting.
Yet, here I am, some time later, having learned what works for me, and that happens to be very low carb.

and show consideration for the danger of putting off the very people we want to help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My mantra is always eat to your meter. It is what I have always done since starting this game. I have given up normal bread, which was a staple in my previous diet, but my meter tells me I am fine with the Lidl rolls. Barely a rise, and a very useful and filling lunch. I have never given up potatoes, also a staple in my previous diet. My meter has dictated the portion sizes of my spud meals and I stick to that. This is how I have chosen to control my diabetes. It works for me. Low carb would never have worked for me had I been told to give up spuds or bread without at least giving them a try.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mantra is always eat to your meter. It is what I have always done.
I completely agree with that mantre. My meter told me my homemade bread was fine in reasonable quantities for the first 15-16 years. When that changed I changed what I did to eat lower carb breads like Hi lo bread which my meter approves of and I keep that to a couple of slices a week. Diabetes is all about learning how your body works and adjusting what you do in response to that and the ways it changes overtime

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But a newly type 2 diabetic might not know what to look for in meals. Though I’m low carb I didn’t push it. I actually said to add some fat. Not unreasonable or pushy in my opinion. Just trying to help spike balance
Being diagnosed is hard enough. Then not knowing where to go from there...
Simply saying carbs won’t help shouldn’t be a problem. Nor should adding some fat.

Just saying welcome and comtinue doing what’s you’re doing really is of no help if the op is looking to reduce levels.

So e people are all in or all out. I’m all in. My bad. Dipping my toes really never got me anywhere.

I undestand over kill but I do t think I over killed. Just pointed a few things she could possibly change. Like ditch the bread OR add fat. Neither are close to my diet so no...didn’t push MY diet

I wish I didn’t have to go thru all the trial and error alone and would have been given some sound advice from people in my situation. I was just trying to save the op some time from frustration

Backing out now....

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
JMHO, a good addition to the rules of this forum would be that posters stop 'self-appointing' themselves as moderators and then attempting to tell other posters what they should/shouldn't post. I wish some would put away their "newbie protector" superhero costumes :rolleyes:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
JMHO, a good addition to the rules of this forum would be that posters stop 'self-appointing' themselves as moderators and then attempting to tell other posters what they should/shouldn't post. I wish some would put away their "newbie protector" superhero costumes :rolleyes:
Well, given that the issue of the tone of what was being posted was raised by a moderator........

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But a newly type 2 diabetic might not know what to look for in meals. Though I’m low carb I didn’t push it. I actually said to add some fat. Not unreasonable or pushy in my opinion. Just trying to help spike balance
Being diagnosed is hard enough. Then not knowing where to go from there...
Simply saying carbs won’t help shouldn’t be a problem. Nor should adding some fat.

Just saying welcome and comtinue doing what’s you’re doing really is of no help if the op is looking to reduce levels.

So e people are all in or all out. I’m all in. My bad. Dipping my toes really never got me anywhere.

I undestand over kill but I do t think I over killed. Just pointed a few things she could possibly change. Like ditch the bread OR add fat. Neither are close to my diet so no...didn’t push MY diet

I wish I didn’t have to go thru all the trial and error alone and would have been given some sound advice from people in my situation. I was just trying to save the op some time from frustration

Backing out now....
advising someone how to test and what to look for when testing is one thing and in my view completely appropriate. Telling them what to eat / not eat Is something completely different

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, the job of moderators is not to question the actual content of a post but to ensure it keeps to the rules. It is an essential part of any forum that posts can be criticised, as long as it is politely and with some justification, it is a form of peer review. In the case of new members, there is a need for balance in the information they receive and posters should remember to explain that they are relating their own experience rather than prescribing something that may be inappropriate for someone else's situation.

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you all for all of your advice, everything is taken on board! But I'm thinking lidls protein rolls may have to go, took reading before lunch 6.2 (yay me!) Then had protein roll with loads of wafer thin ham, butter and mustard and two hours later I read 10.3 :bigtears: I am newly diagnosed, and still getting my head round everything. Ive not yet seen a dietician or DN (just a useless doctor) so I'm kind of flying blind at the moment, so just picking up bits f advice and trying everything out to see how my meter likes it! But right now I'm really craving a massive bar of galaxy chocolate :bigtears::bigtears: guess I'll have a handfull of nuts instead :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand it, the job of moderators is not to question the actual content of a post but to ensure it keeps to the rules. It is an essential part of any forum that posts can be criticised, as long as it is politely and with some justification, it is a form of peer review. In the case of new members, there is a need for balance in the information they receive and posters should remember to explain that they are relating their own experience rather than prescribing something that may be inappropriate for someone else's situation.
I’m sorry, I can’t help myself here. When is saying to ditch a piece of bread or add some fat inappropriate for a type 2 who did t like the rise she saw in her meal? I think inappropriate is an inappropriate word in this situation.

And simply teaching her how to test? She’s already testing abviosly. So just test and don’t change anything even though you don’t like the rise?

And when is it wrong to tell a new type 2 that carbs raise bs?

I guess I’m just confused what the heck I said wrong! No wonder people take breaks from here.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sorry, I can’t help myself here. When is saying to ditch a piece of bread or add some fat inappropriate for a type 2 who did t like the rise she saw in her meal? I think inappropriate is an inappropriate word in this situation.

And simply teaching her how to test? She’s already testing abviosly. So just test and don’t change anything even though you don’t like the rise?

And when is it wrong to tell a new type 2 that carbs raise bs?

I guess I’m just confused what the heck I said wrong! No wonder people take breaks from here.

Since you asked....

Your post said "One carb raises me about 7 (us) points. So 9 carbs would have raised me 63 points and I could probably add more as it was a grain."

You have potentially confused the OP by using a different type of units without defining them. What is one point? and how much is one carb? You gave the figures as an example of how much your BG might be raised, I can't see how that is relevant since she is not you. You did not mention that, unlike the OP, you are Type 1 and presumably on insulin which may affect you response to foods.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Since you asked....

Your post said "One carb raises me about 7 (us) points. So 9 carbs would have raised me 63 points and I could probably add more as it was a grain."

You have potentially confused the OP by using a different type of units without defining them. What is one point? and how much is one carb? You gave the figures as an example of how much your BG might be raised, I can't see how that is relevant since she is not you. You did not mention that, unlike the OP, you are Type 1 and presumably on insulin which may affect you response to foods.
Thanks for clarifying. Non of that would have hurt her. Confuse maybe but not dangerous. I would not have picked that apart. That’s where YOU and I are different. I would have just moved on...as I am now

Reactions: Salvia

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ladies and Gentlemen this is not a thread to argue over philosophical points around communication. Can we please keep it to helping cherrydarling and stop picking faults with others posts. That goes for all!

Cherrydarling, may I suggest you cut one in half and eat just a half and see what happens. Also have you tried replacing the ham with peanut butter or marmite and see if that makes a difference. Combining foods can make a huge difference.

As an alternative you could also try bergen linseed and soya. I keep a loaf in the freezer and get a slice out at a time (takes 5 mins to defrost) and is full of omega 3 fatty acids as well.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But right now I'm really craving a massive bar of galaxy chocolate :bigtears::bigtears: guess I'll have a handfull of nuts instead :)
Have you tried one square of 85% chocolate with the nuts? I have this as a treat when I feel the need. One square of Lindt 85% is 1.4g of carb. Strawberries and double cream make a lovely treat too! But please test after trying these ideas to see the effect on your bs levels.

Reactions: Clashcityrocker

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only me! So I know it will take time to get my blood sugar working the way I want it to, but I'm really frustrated with this afternoons reading. I read about lidls protein rolls so iff I went to buy some. Took reading before lunch and got 5.6 (it's been in the 8s and 9s this last week) made myself a protein roll with a slice of wafer thin ham, a scraping of cheese spread, a tickle of mustard and 2 three thin slices of tomato. No crisps, no pudding (not even a cheeky advent choccy) took my reading 1.5 hours later and I got a reading of 9.8 :facepalm: ugh I just don't get it. Tell me it gets easier, please!
cherry - try pulling out the dough from both halves of the lidl roll, this removes at least half the carbs and still provides a proper sandwich with two sides.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ladies and Gentlemen this is not a thread to argue over philosophical points around communication. Can we please keep it to helping cherrydarling and stop picking faults with others posts. That goes for all!

Cherrydarling, may I suggest you cut one in half and eat just a half and see what happens. Also have you tried replacing the ham with peanut butter or marmite and see if that makes a difference. Combining foods can make a huge difference.

As an alternative you could also try bergen linseed and soya. I keep a loaf in the freezer and get a slice out at a time (takes 5 mins to defrost) and is full of omega 3 fatty acids as well.
I agree with picking faults. It’s just very hard to not respond when felt attacks

And I agree with your suggestions. Cut a few carbs and add some fat. Perfect. If I don’t hav fat in my meal I will be sure to rise.

And um.. pb on toast? Warm and melty!! Wish I wasn’t grain intolerant. But..ho hum. A spoon works !