Lidl High Protein Rolls

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There's someone on here (can't remember who it is), who can buy them frozen/uncooked, to bake at home. Have asked about this at my store but was refused without too much consideration (I thought). Keep wondering if I should email Lidl and ask if they can introduce a bake-at-home version; still just a passing thought at the mo.

Ooooooo what a good idea. Like yours, my store isn't staffed on the fresh bread section. I have to wander round the store to find someone, and often there are only the check out staff visible, and they are too busy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvia

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe some people have asked their local store to order extra of the dough then collect it uncooked on delivery day to take home and freeze. Might be worth asking.

ObscureMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have to say I do find these a good bread fix, and don't raise BG by any great degree, but for me they have to be really fresh and I don't really like them toasted. They seem a bit more dense and cakey when over a couple of days old or toasted.
We're all different I suppose. :)
My local Lidl gets low but I manage to get a couple most times, so haven't gone the freezing route.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None available when I went to LIDL this morning.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not yet tried them toasted, usually have them slightly warm with lots of butter. Try them after a 15-20 second blast in the microwave, allow to cool a little before slathering liberally with Kerrygold. Oooh, heeeeeaven! :joyful:
I sometimes do this even on the day of purchase.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I freeze any I get as soon as I get them home, and use them as soon as defrosted. That ensures freshness as I do not like them even next day if left out.

Reactions: dbr10

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's easier if you slice them before freezing. When I want to use one I defrost in microwave, then toast under grill.

Reactions: Jancrystal

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
aaaaaaah woe! woe! and thrice! wo!! :bigtears: :bigtears: :bigtears:

This morning I travelled for just over an hour to my nearest Lidl to fetch some more rolls. None to be seen anywhere. At first I thought I'd somehow missed the early baking, so looked around for a likely bakery assistant, expecting to be told, its ok, there'll be some in about an hour. Not on your nelly: "sorry, we do't do those anymore; I put the order in but they've been blocked. It's been a few days now." Poor lass had no idea why they've been stopped.

Oh, I'm devastated! Diabetics need those, they're the only bread we can eat (bit of a stretch, but you get my point). I know, she said, I've had other customers saying the same. I've told 'them' (them upstairs) but that's all I can do.

I asked her to report my complaint as well, because the more complaints they get, the better. Can only hope she will.

Has anybody else met with this disaster ? :(
My local Lidl has also discontinued the high protein roll. They have replaced it with a new Granary Roll.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time there was a scare about a shortage of Lidl HP Rolls I decided to make my own. I haven't needed to buy any Lidl rolls for about 5 months.

Reactions: Prem51

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My local Lidl has also discontinued the high protein roll. They have replaced it with a new Granary Roll.

Oh no, I hope that's not an indication that Lidl intends eventually to discontinue selling them in all their shops. They have introduced a new GI* roll, I think it is, but they are very high carb, so not for me. Thankfully, since I posted my original "complaint" I found another Lidl where I am still able to get my 'fix' (for now at least).

edit: I think this is the granary roll, not sure; would need to check.

Last edited:

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do hope this is not so, our new one opens next week and is only a short walk away.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought 20 last visit, but if they are to be discontinued I had better go again tomorrow and buy as many as I can.

Anyone know the carb content of the new granary roll?