Travelling the world with T1 Diabetes

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was hoping to travel a lot in my 20s... apparently you can but it will not be much fun.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
NoKindOfSusie, don't despair. You're amazing, you've already done stuff that shows you can deal with the toad T1!
For many of us first few months of getting used to having T1 hitching a lift with you everywhere you go are the hardest. You've been super-sensible not drinking and only eating things that you know won't mess with your BG, and the contrast with times past is bound, at this stage, to make it harder.
As you learn how your own body reacts it should get much easier to be more relaxed and to be more like the old pre T1 you: you should be able to eat as you used to (beware the spikes from stuff like baklava and maple syrup drenched waffles though) and walk as far as you wish to. You should be able to be in the swing of things again.
Give it a bit of time. It's still early days.
By the way, after a few months of not having sweet stuff one small taste will probably show you you're not missing anything, it'll taste like a wombat fell into a syrup tin and then covered itself in lard. Yuk! And you should get to know, in time, how to deal with drinks, how many carbs you'll need to avoid a hypo, whether you want to relax or keep your head clear. You'll know which food to choose, and not mind that you don't eat everything; you'll know which drinks to have, and you'll have fun.
If you don't then you'll have let the toad squash you.
Come to think of it, that's not fair to toads, toads are good, and maybe nicer than Larkin and Shakespeare who gave toads a bad name.

Reactions: Down-Jai 001

Tabbie17

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm a student/trainee teacher and had always been planning on teaching aboard for a few years after graduating I have been traveling before I was diagnosed and struggled with the heat at times but nothing awful, I'm only recently diagnosed and I'm already struggling with lifestyle changes is this really not a good idea?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi I'm a student/trainee teacher and had always been planning on teaching aboard for a few years after graduating I have been traveling before I was diagnosed and struggled with the heat at times but nothing awful, I'm only recently diagnosed and I'm already struggling with lifestyle changes is this really not a good idea?

It depends on you, really. You will need access to insulin and testing equipment, but once you've got used to managing your diabetes there's not much you can't do as long as you're prepared. Where were you planning to go?

Tabbie17

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends on you, really. You will need access to insulin and testing equipment, but once you've got used to managing your diabetes there's not much you can't do as long as you're prepared. Where were you planning to go?
I'd really love to teach somewhere in East Asia like China or Vietnam but honestly anywhere I can go really, I'm just more worried about access to medications and testing equipment really particularly as at the moment I'm gettng it all for free.

Reactions: meg7024

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I have been travelling the world now for 2 years and counting.

Since then my HBA1C results have gone from 13 to 6.8 aka dangerous to perfect!

I’m not saying travelling is the cure of course but the regular walking, restricted diet, sunshine and less stress has played a huge role.

I am currently writing a blog on my experiences. If anyone is interested please have a look (feel free to enter your email so new posts go straight to your inbox) it is completely free of charge.

A few of my friends are diabetic and they have told me they wouldn’t consider travelling purely due to diabetes which is crazy! Why let it control you?!

Welcome to ask any questions too :)

Here’s the link:

www.aroundtheworldwitht1diabetes.wordpress.com

You are inspiration to people especially the younger ones with diabetes that having it does not mean you can't do whatever you want to do and not let it hold you back. Have a good Christmas in the UK and enjoy the rest of your travels

Reactions: meg7024

meg7024

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd really love to teach somewhere in East Asia like China or Vietnam but honestly anywhere I can go really, I'm just more worried about access to medications and testing equipment really particularly as at the moment I'm gettng it all for free.

You definitely should. The idea of this post was to imply that Diabetes should not restrict what you do - just becareful. Get stocked up on your free supplies before you go then take extra money for when you need to buy supplies. I very much enjoyed Asia. Our blog (that isn’t diabetes related) shows where we went and where we stayed, even some of the prices:

www.wanderlusttravelscontinued.wordpress.com

www.australiaadventuresite.wordpress.com - this one includes Asian countries

Reactions: himtoo

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Circuspony
I had a letter last week from my D.consultan said that I could srop using the insulin just control by 20mg gliclazide.
My had a plan to stop the insulin by being on LCHF Diet and it seemed to pay off and I hope when I start travelling, it's less worried about black out which happened to me in the past.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Circuspony
I had a letter last week from my D.consultan said that I could srop using the insulin just control by 20mg gliclazide.
My had a plan to stop the insulin by being on LCHF Diet and it seemed to pay off and I hope when I start travelling, it's less worried about black out which happened to me in the past.
That's good to hear. Unfortunately insulin is part of my life whether I like it or not as I'm LADA type 1, so I need to learn to live with it.

I'm actually finding the UK's snowy cold weather this week just as difficult as heat. No idea how much my pancreas did until it decided not to work!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I have been travelling the world now for 2 years and counting.

Since then my HBA1C results have gone from 13 to 6.8 aka dangerous to perfect!

I’m not saying travelling is the cure of course but the regular walking, restricted diet, sunshine and less stress has played a huge role.

I am currently writing a blog on my experiences. If anyone is interested please have a look (feel free to enter your email so new posts go straight to your inbox) it is completely free of charge.

A few of my friends are diabetic and they have told me they wouldn’t consider travelling purely due to diabetes which is crazy! Why let it control you?!

Welcome to ask any questions too :)

Here’s the link:

www.aroundtheworldwitht1diabetes.wordpress.com

I love traveling too.. Such a stress relieve for me..
So glad to be in this forum who has the same type 1 and enjoying life..Nice to meet you here:D

So glad I joined the forum today and came across this post! Just had a quick scan through your blog as I am also a type 1 who loves to travel and have just been granted my 1 year working holiday visa for Australia. Will definitely need to pick your brains about this

So am I.. been a type 1 for 11 years, love traveling..
I even often do solo travel..
And guess what, I also applied for a 1 year work and holiday visa to Australia!
But I'm still waiting for it to be granted..
I've been so worried of my visa application being rejected just because I have type 1 diabetes, but after I read your post, I think I shouldnt have to worry about it anymore ^^

Reactions: himtoo

Rach85

I have to say you are an inspiration and I am hopeful that I can bring my 7 year old daughter up to have the same positive attitude. Having been diagnosed in Feb, even though it is very hard as a child and a parent to accept that this little person has to change so much and to willingly take an injection 4 times a day, it is also a blessing as we have already made the lifestyle changes before she gets to choose her lifestyle for herself, for example; as a teenager. So far it has not stopped anything (with the exception of the holiday booked the for week after diagnosis) We still go hiking, checking her much more often (and a rucksack full of food!) in May we are roughing it around Iceland ringroad and in August hiking mountains in Scotland. Very much want to instill that it won't stop her. Do you mind me asking as a mother if there was anything you can remember your parents doing to influence your positive outlook? I seek perfection with her, while not always possible with her bloods, her attitude will be the driving force behind future choices.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Travelling is part of many jobs whether we like it or not. I don't think an employer is going to look favourably on not being able to do business travel just because you have T1 diabetes!
Personally, I have spent a week in India since diagnosis (that was 6 weeks ago now) and will be going to Morocco in Jan and probably back to India later in Spring. I figure if I can hypo on my own in a foreign land, I should be OK more generally.

Munsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaners! That there's no cure for diabetes.
Sorry to throw a dampener on all the woes! As a long lifer with diabetes since 1971, I've travelled all over the world and loved the experience. Like all things about diabetes, you have to control it and not let it ruin your life! We could all throw in the towel and not travel, go walking and generally give up but that's not my scene! A little planning is all that's required plus a signed letter from your GP to confirm why you're carrying all the medication you need. Spain and Australia 2018 here I come!

Nemeth32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Meg! Really happy I saw this post and got a chance to check out your blog, I've wanted to travel continuously now for a long time and it has been inspiring to hear from you. My biggest question for you is; how are you funding all of this? I know diabetes care and consumables can be extortionate in some places (especially the u.s) how do you manage to keep travelling without coming back to the uk to save for periods? Might seem a basic question but there it is!!

Martinaustin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My tips: travel as much as you can afford: I've been Type 1 since 1966 and traveled with work since 1986 living in the Middle East and Africa for years. Just ensure that you know when you'll be back at base to restock or have alternative insulin supplies sorted in the country you are living. Double up on everything. Carry loads of glucose in every pocket of your bags and clothes. Now where's my passport................

Reactions: Down-Jai 001