HbA1c fabulous but pancreas will never be the same...

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In December 2015, my HbA1c was down to 35.
December 2016, HbA1c 40.
On the 13th of December, HbA1c back down to 35.
On Friday went out for a meal with the family.
Two hours later, decided to test.
My reading was 8.9 and my husband who is overweight had a reading of 5.9... we ate more or less the same thing.
I think even though I have been in remission for the last 2 years, I will always be predisposed to Type 2 diabetes because of my genes.
I weigh 9st and I’m 5’3”, so my condition is beyond lifestyle issues.
Anyone else feels like that?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am coming round more and more to the idea that type two diabetes is nature's way of telling us that the foods the supermarkets sell us are not right for the population in general, fat thin old young well or ill - it is pointing out that our metabolisms are not doing well on the deluge of cheap for us and profitable (for them) foods on the shelves and in the adverts.
I eat now exactly the way I used to eat to control my weight and look fabulous, to feel strong and full of energy - and my readings are normal - the last evening test I took was 5.6mmol/l - and I could not feel happier about it. I have to eat this loe carb way for ever? And the problem is?

Last edited:
Reactions: DiabetesDestroyer

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree, in my opinion once we have been diagnosed with T2 it is for life. Some people may reverse their T2 to the point that they see non diabetic numbers long term and find that they can eat a small amount of carbs without undue effects but I feel that even if these well managed T2s return to a full western diet it will prove to be harmful. It is just a layman's guess of mine but I think that once the 'carb gene' has been triggered then it can't be fixed, maybe in the future (?).

Edited to add. Fabulous A1c btw, well done.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
December 2016, HbA1c 40.
My reading was 8.9 and my husband who is overweight had a reading of 5.9... we ate more or less the same thing.
I think even though I have been in remission for the last 2 years, I will always be predisposed to Type 2 diabetes because of my genes.
I react I just the same way . Having said that you may find that your husband was also producing lot of insulin to get the glucose lower just like you , though his achieved lower glucose number .
As such he may be at very similar risks to you as regards anything affected by hyperinsulinaemia . That is many other
Illnesses. Perhaps you should compare fasting insulin levels as well before drawing conclusions about relative health or capacity to eat carbs . It takes 15 to 20 years before the high insulin damage shows up in the form of high blood glucose.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
December 2016, HbA1c 40.

Yes is my current answer, and I expect it always will be! I posted a thread to express pretty much identical thoughts a while ago.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/great-hba1c-very-disappointed.130806/

I do still have more work to do to be sure that I can't make a significant improvement in my metabolism that will actually affect day-to-day choices like what food I eat, so I'll carry on trying for now! But it's looking likely you and me are in the same boat.

Reactions: DiabetesDestroyer

rayhigginson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s in your genes then your/we are screwed to be honest you can only hold it a bay for a while then at some stage it will pop back to say hi! (Sorry to say it diabetes is on my mothers side and pancreatic cancer on my dad’s side ‘he died from this back in July’ )

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s in your genes then your/we are screwed to be honest you can only hold it a bay for a while then at some stage it will pop back to say hi! (Sorry to say it diabetes is on my mothers side and pancreatic cancer on my dad’s side ‘he died from this back in July’ )

I’m screwed on both sides. Lost 6 first cousins in the last 2 years due to complications of diabetes. They were aged 48-54.
My mum died due to heart (diabetic) 65 & was 61, also diabetic (colon cancer and renal failure).

rayhigginson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m screwed on both sides. Lost 6 first cousins in the last 2 years due to complications of diabetes. They were aged 48-54.
My mum died due to heart (diabetic) 65 & was 61, also diabetic (colon cancer and renal failure).

All you/we can do is try our best! And what will be will be the universe has it all planed! Chin up!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just because others in your family succumbed to these diseases it does NOT mean you are screwed . The sheer speed with which many of us have improved blood glucose , hba1c AND dozens of other health markers from just a change in diet shows just how much you can influence your own destiny no matter what has happened to others in your family .

You can prove the exception. Have a great 2018 !

Reactions: Ultramum