Type 1 Breakfast

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, me also. I have just given up on breakfast, as any carbs just sends me high no matter how much insulin I take, and I just can't face eggs or anything like that. So I just have a cup of coffee and then drink water until lunch time and my BGL is totally fine. Breakfast is just too much hassle, my diabetes behaves perfectly as long as I don't eat!
Do you still take insulin but just don’t eat? If I don’t eat anything I continue to rise and rise until I do, even with insulin. No carbs for me in the morning either except a small piece of lettuce to wrap my thin slice of chicken and mayo in. Or a scrambled egg in a bit of butter.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you still take insulin but just don’t eat? If I don’t eat anything I continue to rise and rise until I do, even with insulin. No carbs for me in the morning either except a small piece of lettuce to wrap my thin slice of chicken and mayo in. Or a scrambled egg in a bit of butter.

I make sure to take my basal in the morning and i think even if we do not eat our breakfast our bs will still rise because the liver will still dump glucose anyway. If i remember correctly it called Dawn Phenomenon (correct me if i wrong). Maybe i should try it and see what happen.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I make sure to take my basal in the morning and i think even if we do not eat our breakfast our bs will still rise because the liver will still dump glucose anyway. If i remember correctly it called Dawn Phenomenon (correct me if i wrong). Maybe i should try it and see what happen.
I can’t take my basal in the morning. Even on one unit I hypo all day long.
Yes, it’s DP and an hour or so after I have bf I need a small bolus to stop the morning rise. I can take enough with bf to cover that rise or a hypo. It is an extra shot but it keeps me much steadier through the morning. Kind of my version of the pump

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t take my basal in the morning. Even on one unit I hypo all day long.
Yes, it’s DP and an hour or so after I have bf I need a small bolus to stop the morning rise. I can take enough with bf to cover that rise or a hypo. It is an extra shot but it keeps me much steadier through the morning. Kind of my version of the pump

Somehow i feel like Lada is harder to manage than type 1 and 2 because LADA is like having type 1 honeymoon for a long duration and i know how many type 1 hate their honeymoon (my parents did hate my).

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Somehow i feel like Lada is harder to manage than type 1 and 2 because LADA is like having type 1 honeymoon for a long duration and i know how many type 1 hate their honeymoon (my parents did hate my).
My honeymoon didn’t last long. I had a few weird episodes especially in the heat but mostly things were consistent. My doc burned out my pancreas well and good with the wrong meds before DX so not much insulin production left

None is easy that’s for sure

Reactions: Gabrielle_Tai

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anybody else struggle with breakfast?? If I don’t have breakfast my sugars stay level if I dare to eat breakfast I struggle to get them down to normal for the rest of the Morning! My diabetes hates breakfast!!
I'm a toast for b/fast guy.

Reactions: emmawhit32

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I have have breakfast my sugars spike up to 15! And stay that way until after lunch. I’ve tried everything but nothing works. After lunch everything is ok and I can snack and eat but anything before then is a no go for me!
Im exactly the same b4 diagnosis i never used to eat breakfast i wonder if that has anything to do with it prob not but who knows

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Reading all the comments is very interesting, T1 40 years and I haven't had breakfast since I was 16, when I left home, but always had a jab in the morning, everyone is different, just keep testing BG, untill you find what suits you

leahkian

All the things that people have said spikes their BS (toast, weetabix and porridge) are all slow releasing carbs, so if you look at it all these are working over about a 4 hour time frame. They would be good if you were going to the gym but you would still need some fast acting insulin. It is like pro footballers are told to eat pasta before a game maybe 3 hours and i have i friend who was a pro and he said at half time there would be sweets and energy drinks for them to boost their sugar levels up and the same at the end of a game. That is why you have fast and slow carbs which will alter your BS, Novorapid works over a 4 hour period and depending on what background insulin you are on it can be 12 or 24 hours but being on a pump gives you more control. I remember that my blood would start to rise after 4 am but on a pump you can change how much you take at different times of the day and night. I was never a breakfast person myself until i was sent by my GP to join the Wellbeing Clinic and the lad who looked after me said i needed to eat breakfast as i was eating to little during the day and was putting on weight around my belly because of this, i now eat some fruit or muslie on a morning something light for lunch maybe a salad with chicken and for tea maybe a bit of pasta with fresh veg and for a snack either mixed nuts or a packet of quavers but only on the odd time. It is a low carb diet by cutting out potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. He also told me to read the back of the food packets at 2 min rice is for only half the packet and baked beans are high in carbs.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there not lots of sugar in Greek yoghurt!? I think I’m going to have to try it out it seems to be working for most people!?
Most plain/natural Greek yoghurt is sugar free but some brands add sugar check label again I personally believe that apart from being selective with our food choices reducing the quantity helps

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I started pushing breakfast time back. I try to avoid eating until 2-4 hours after waking. (I have my 2 cups of coffee though). It's basically the hour of brunch and it's great because it covers both meals, breakfast and lunch. I try to stick to eggs, leftovers, salad, avocado/guacamole, the lower carb choices. I buy about a dozen eggs every week just for me. Hard boil a bunch of them on weekends, peel and store them in fridge for eating throughout the week. Just ideas. Good luck.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on a pump so my basal just runs in as normal, if I don't eat , it's fine, if I eat its not no matter what I bolus - I've tried all sorts of bolus tweaks along with my DSN's and I decided it just isn't worth eating in the morning - if I wait until lunchtime my BGL stays almost flat. I have horrific DP - but my pump deals with that I massively increase the basal rate between 4am and 8aam and usually wake up in the 5's where I stay until lunchtime unless I dare to eat!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on a pump so my basal just runs in as normal, if I don't eat , it's fine, if I eat its not no matter what I bolus - I've tried all sorts of bolus tweaks along with my DSN's and I decided it just isn't worth eating in the morning - if I wait until lunchtime my BGL stays almost flat. I have horrific DP - but my pump deals with that I massively increase the basal rate between 4am and 8aam and usually wake up in the 5's where I stay until lunchtime unless I dare to eat!!
I inadvertently didn’t have bf twice, for blood work was one and the other to test to see when insulin started working. Well the blood work day I went from 85 fasting to 130 in an hour even with taking insulin. Then the other I kept injecting every 45 min and it didn’t move until after noon. By then I had taken a whole days worth of insulin. I am wondering if having ghee in my broth instead of coffee would have an effect. But, I guess I like my food and it works for me. I just need a no carb, low protein high fat bf. And keep it small.

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started getting this and tried shredded wheat which interestingly sent me low instead

A

Australia 1

Milk with Breakfast. Since this is all new to me and @emmawhit32 is talking about Breakfast she mentioned milk with Coffee. I need Coffee to start my engine. I mean it. So Emma, How much Coffee can this Type 1 Diabetic have? Second question for you. MILK!!!!! I love milk and drink two Pints of whole white milk after I eat breakfast of Weetbix just like you. But I love Milk. If this is wrong, then please give me a guide line on Milk. I run 7 Kilometres a day and I know I do to much. You are a young woman and concerned about your natural beauty, but you will see changes in that department as you age. I now have to act my age. Diabetic life has enslaved me. Help me with the Milk issue in Carbs. Thank you love as we say here in AU.