Helpful food hints, things you've learned.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi everyone. I still think of myself as newly diagnosed, type 1 in Aug.The more I read on this brilliant forum, the more impressed I am with the wealth of knowledge that's here......especially about food. I thought it might be an idea to try and collate this on one thread, not sure if it's been done somewhere else and I can't see it. Let me know if there is such a thing. Anyway I'll start with things I learned from others today:

Oppo ice cream has a reduced sugar content
Roast celeriac is lower in carbs than parsnips

Please add and share things that you've learned, little nuggets of info to help make life better

Last edited:
Reactions: Arlmy and Rachox

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Veg grown underground is higher in carbs than veg grown above ground.

Low carb for one individual does not mean low carb for another.

Taking your medication does not always make you feel better!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
What i learned, first is those rice in sushi can spike your sugar sky high. Second potato is a big no no.Third is fast food is bad, all fast food spike me even subway is not health.
Great, thanks.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Love this idea and would never have thought of it
I absolutely love them and prefer them over bread. I have a slice of turkey with mustard and mayo or smashed avocado wrapped up for bf. One of my favs is a rare burger crumbled on one. The hot juicy burger and cold crunchy lettuce is awesome.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nuts are a good low carb filling snack. I always carry a small packet and some 85% dark chocolate in my handbag for those coffee shop stops where there is absolutely nothing in the shop I can eat (here’s looking at you Costa!).

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do they stay together?

Depends on the lettuce. I picked up this one from Kristin and have been enjoying it. But basically get a big leaf, add <food>, then roll or fold the leaf around. It's much like making stuffed vine leaves, or with a large leaf, a tortilla wrap. Main thing I found is to go with the veins on the leaf, and be gentle with it. And in my case, they usually don't need to stay together long. For fillings, I tend to use tuna with chopped tomatoes & seasoning, or chopped ham/cheese/tomato.. That one's also fun if I nuke the filling first for the combo of cold/hot/crisp crunchy niceness.

I also like nuts, and have been using those as an alternative to sweets when I get the urge to nibble.

And.. I've also been eating a lot of peppers and runner beans. Pre-diagnosis, I wondered how I could replace the bread/pasta/rice that I ate. And discovered that things like chilli with roughly chopped peppers/beans/tomatoes makes a good substitute. I tend not to cook the veg much as I like the crisp texture. I also add veg to soups to bulk those out, and been expermenting with sauerkraut.

ps.. Something else I learned here.. Eat to the meter! Not everyone responds to food the same way, so use the meter to test that. So I've found bread will make my BG spike, potatoes, much less. Must be my Irish genes.. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammer1964

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How do they stay together?
I prefer Boston/ Bibb lettuce over romaine. Less bitter and more round shape and easy to roll into a wrap. Iceberg works as well. Romaine sometimes is too skinny.

@first14808 , glad you’re enjoying them!! Yes, I too love the hot gooey cold crunchy thing. Never thought a burger would be good like that but it’s one of my favorites.

I find a fork or a spoon replaces bread stuff very nicely. Like a small fork full of peanut butter dunked in a bad of mini dark choco chips! All those lovely little morsels clinging on to the pb for dear life !!! It’s amusing actually

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What i learned, first is those rice in sushi can spike your sugar sky high. Second potato is a big no no.Third is fast food is bad, all fast food spike me even subway is not health.
Glad you said subways, even if I jab for the bread BG still go up so I nolonger eat them

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely love them and prefer them over bread. I have a slice of turkey with mustard and mayo or smashed avocado wrapped up for bf. One of my favs is a rare burger crumbled on one. The hot juicy burger and cold crunchy lettuce is awesome.

My wife does a nice spicey pork mince (sans sugar.) which goes great in a lettuce wrap...

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have found that brown rice spikes my bg’s just as much as white rice. The only difference is that it takes 3-4 hours after the meal to register the spikes.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never tried it but apparently Subway will put your chosen fillings in a plastic dish instead of bread:
http://www.subway.com/en-gb/menunutrition/menu/salads
If you click on one of the images you can even add and take away ingredients and it recalculates the nutritional info.
They also do a salad as well if you don't want the roll you can still choose what you want in it

Reactions: Rachox

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My wife does a nice spicey pork mince (sans sugar.) which goes great in a lettuce wrap...
Yummy, would love to know the ingredients of the pork

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather