Knowalls rant

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very high on the insulin index as well as most sugar loaded, carb loaded cereals are!
Another 'healthy' breakfast, Weetabix, is probably the worst because of the binding artificial sugars included in its production.

Porridge is another 'superfood' that can be dangerous to metabolic conditions.

I really love weetabix - I have had them for breakfast every morning since I was diagnosed, as well as snacks during the day. In my experience they are excellent diabetic food - I've never spiked when eating them at least. Also you get a lot of food for a serve of carbs - if you want 15g carbs, then you get 1.5 weetabix, but only a couple of mouthfuls of cornflakes.

Reactions: Cdeegan65.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never found rhubarb in a tin without added sugar but discovered that Farmfoods do 750 grams of frozen rhubarb for £1.
You could always cook a batch and keep it in the fridge ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I convinced my family to stop having gallons of orange juice by making them watch me measure out how many teaspoons of sugar there was in one carton. People are coming around to the fact that too much sugar is not healthy so putting the amount of sugar (leaving aside the word carbs) in teaspoons is something anyone can understand. One fact I learned recently helped to convince a freind that it was the sheer amount of carbs that most people eat that causes problems for some, that is that the human body under normal circumstances has around one teaspoon of glucose in the bloodstream at a given time. Considering that a can of pop has 7-9 teaspoons of sugar that really resonated with her.

When people act as if they 'know it all' there's nowt you can do except not back down.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am coming to the conclusion that there are 99.9% people in the world who know nothing about diabetes, including sadly a lot of GPs, dieticians and other health professionals (and including me up to August 2017) and then there are the 0.1% on this Forum!!! (OK my figures are not accurate, but you get my drift.) It is unfortunate that it seems to be in human nature to want to have and give an opinion even on the subjects about which we are totally ignorant. What to do? Recharge our batteries here, and then cultivate strategic deafness in the company of the ignorant?

DO NOT AGREE. we complain about quote 99.9% knowing nothing about diabetes ask yourselves if we don't educate them who will. I am not talking about boring people to death by constantly making everything about diabetes but if people tested there Blood Sugar Levels openly without a big song and dance, people would be more aware firstly that Blood Testing Happens and perhaps 1 in 10 or 1n 100 would ask why and then we can start to educate the public one at a time gently not Lecturing they would begin to see that not ALL diabetics are overweight the more the public are aware of blood testing the less some of our community will feel Ashamed maybe.
If We were more open and more upfront maybe just maybe the public would gradually understand more about Diabetes and why we test and what we eat and why. Maybe just maybe some of us who are parents or grandparents can volunteer to go into schools and talk to classes about diabetes we would get a more understanding generation growing up educating their parents on the way. These are just some of my thoughts I am sure many o you have other ideas post them here
REMEMBER from a little Acorn a Mighty Oak Tree grows
To Paraphrase Lord Kitchener Your Diabetes NEEDS YOU

Samiant

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For anyone who can have porridge but has always had sugar to make it more palatable, I have just discovered 'Truvia' , a sweetener with no carbs, no sugars. Available in Waitrose and probably all major supermarkets. A third of a teaspoon is equivalent to a teaspoon of sugar.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed with T2, one of the biggest disappointments was finding out that All Bran, that I loved and had been eating for breakfast for decades, was full of carbs, as was the milk.
However, I decided to make my own granola with seeds and nuts (3.1g carbs/100 g), which I eat with Alpro almond unsweetened. All in, less than 3g carb and lots of fat and fibre for a whole meal.
Brilliant. I was told by the DN All Bran was full of sugar but the fibre meant it was absorbed more slowly. Complete bull.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Grannypat

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Darren is and porridge are bad for diabetics did not know this I always believed they were sugar free.Now I have to rerh8nk what I can have for breakfast.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never found rhubarb in a tin without added sugar but discovered that Farmfoods do 750 grams of frozen rhubarb for £1.
You could always cook a batch and keep it in the fridge ?
It may be it was you who recently put me on to Farm Foods for frozen rhubarb, for which I am eternally grateful. But, human nature being what it is, I was hoping to eat rhubarb with even less effort by buying a tin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be it was you who recently put me on to Farm Foods for frozen rhubarb, for which I am eternally grateful. But, human nature being what it is, I was hoping to eat rhubarb with even less effort by buying a tin.
Yup, I am all for the path of least resistance - especially when it comes in a tin to sit in the back of the cupboard for those rare, but urgent rhubarb moments...

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant. I was told by the DN All Bran was full of sugar but the fibre meant it was absorbed more slowly. Complete bull.
Maybe the fibre DOES slow down the rate at which the sugar is absorbed, but that would only be like saying the car was just going at 98mph instead of 100 when it hit you.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup, I am all for the path of least resistance - especially when it comes in a tin to sit in the back of the cupboard for those rare, but urgent rhubarb moments...
Given that rhubarb is the only "fruit" not out-lawed by Dr B, I am currently experimenting with rhubarb plus Maxicol plus Greek yoghurt TWICE A DAY (50g raw weight x 2) !!! Not sure yet if I'll get away with this. I have a nasty feeling Dr B would not approve. And maybe my meter won't either. But after weeks without any fruit or yoghurt at all, oh the bliss!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give this coconut ‘porridge’ a try, not real porridge, not a grain in sight, but warm and filling. I have it every morning with strawberries and double cream, just 4g carbs per portion :hungry:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge
I checked out unsweetened coconut flakes on USDA and they came out at 16.95g carbs per 100g, which sounds like a lot to me. But maybe they weigh light? BTW, this may be my browser, but I can't make the diet doctor link work.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really love weetabix - I have had them for breakfast every morning since I was diagnosed, as well as snacks during the day. In my experience they are excellent diabetic food - I've never spiked when eating them at least. Also you get a lot of food for a serve of carbs - if you want 15g carbs, then you get 1.5 weetabix, but only a couple of mouthfuls of cornflakes.

I guess it comes under the 'everyone's different' banner - I personally still have porridge with milk or half water a few times a week which is around 30g carbs in a morning and providing I stick to my increased ratio for a morning and take the dose in advance I usually don't see outrageous spikes (confirmed it was reasonable when I had a Libre trial). Cereals are another matter for me although I still do have a small serving occasionally (and try to manage with a longer pre-bolus).

But equally I like a good serving of eggs (scrambled, omelette) some mornings and a side (bacon, mushrooms, salmon) :woot:

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I convinced my family to stop having gallons of orange juice by making them watch me measure out how many teaspoons of sugar there was in one carton. People are coming around to the fact that too much sugar is not healthy so putting the amount of sugar (leaving aside the word carbs) in teaspoons is something anyone can understand. One fact I learned recently helped to convince a freind that it was the sheer amount of carbs that most people eat that causes problems for some, that is that the human body under normal circumstances has around one teaspoon of glucose in the bloodstream at a given time. Considering that a can of pop has 7-9 teaspoons of sugar that really resonated with her.

When people act as if they 'know it all' there's nowt you can do except not back down.
Agree with @Guzzler as a good way of illustrating sugar content. This was done at a support group: about five small tables with all sorts of food and fruits on them, and a box of sugar cubes for each table. We were asked to put how many sugar cubes we thought each food/fruit contained. It was certainly an eye-opener. Spuds, rice, biccies, bread were obvious, but an elderly lady had substituted four Belvita breakfast biscuits for her cereal, thinking they were better! The amount of sugar was consistently under-estimated, especially the Redbull can which had 13 teaspoons....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I checked out unsweetened coconut flakes on USDA and they came out at 16.95g carbs per 100g, which sounds like a lot to me. But maybe they weigh light? BTW, this may be my browser, but I can't make the diet doctor link work.
The recipe doesn’t use coconut flakes! I’ll try and copy the recipe here:
Ingredients
1 serving 4g carbs
instructions
  1. Mix together all the ingredients in a non-stick saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until you achieve your desired texture.
  2. Serve with coconut milk or cream. Top your porridge with a few fresh or frozen berries and enjoy
I serve mine with double cream and strawberries.

Reactions: Buttons11

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The recipe doesn’t use coconut flakes! I’ll try and copy the recipe here:
Ingredients
1 serving 4g carbs
instructions
  1. Mix together all the ingredients in a non-stick saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until you achieve your desired texture.
  2. Serve with coconut milk or cream. Top your porridge with a few fresh or frozen berries and enjoy
I serve mine with double cream and strawberries.
Thanks very much.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thanks very much. It looks to be, but as the tin weighs nearly 3 kg I would have to do an awful lot of freezing if I bought this, which would rather defeat the object of saving labour! Better to buy the frozen and cook as needed.
Yup you are of course quite correct didn't pay too much attention to the actual weight and what it would mean. An awful lot of rhubarb. :)