Aussie Flu

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick question, going back to Uni soon in densely populated Liverpool. I had the free flu jab back in October. Does it protect against Australian Flu? Well, as much as a vaccine can, I know they're not always 100% effective, but it's better than nothing.

Actually, if you have the information, which strains does it protect against this year? We're just given this jab but never told which strains they've selected.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It is the H3N2 strain so just ask. I know of no-one in my Australian town that was hit with it. Your "boots" outlets are recorded as having a a jab that protects you. At the time of of our outbreak, we didn't

Reactions: SamElliott1997

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think our flu jab this winter does cover Aussie flu - that's why they are so worried about the hospitals being overcome

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It does give some protection against the Aussie flu, last year it worked a lot better in people under 70. Being young it is likely to protect against any strain that is "a bit like" the strains in it. This year for old people, people who have had it, are much less likely to need intensive care but are some still needing hospital care.

Washing your hands before eating etc, and after touching menus etc can also make a big difference in the risk of getting the flu.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Get those multivitamins taken.
They are a god send. I forgot to refill mine and ended up ill. :(
Laryngitis and flu like symptoms for 2-3 days. Hypos on top.

Now back on them I'm feeling hugely better.
Boots chemist cheapies are just as good as any.

I hope you all stay well.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty sure on the news last night they were talking about this, and the flu jab this year doesn't protect against the Aussie flu.

.......................apparently the antigens are up side down............:D...................I'll leave now!

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty sure on the news last night they were talking about this, and the flu jab this year doesn't protect against the Aussie flu.

.......................apparently the antigens are up side down............:D...................I'll leave now!

Oh dear... Was not expecting that XD

D

Deleted member 308541

Just a quick question, going back to Uni soon in densely populated Liverpool. I had the free flu jab back in October. Does it protect against Australian Flu?
I had the Fluvax (quadrivalent) given me last April and I have not had the Australian flu or any other type flues.

It's nearly fluvax time again in Australia in April, then I am covered for winter 2018.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When you were given the jab you may have been given a leaflet. That details the strains it protects against. My understanding is that the commonly given jab doesn't protect against Aussie flu, but if you had the quadruple (I think it's called) then it does.

D

Deleted member 308541

When you were given the jab you may have been given a leaflet
No leaflet, but I had the web link: https://www.tga.gov.au/aivc-recommendations-composition-influenza-vaccine-australia-2017
My understanding is that the commonly given jab doesn't protect against Aussie flu.
Something protected me then as that was the commonly given fluvax last year.
if you had the quadruple (I think it's called) then it does.
It's called quadrivalent.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The Sun says "Of 180 flu tests carried out by Public Health England so far this winter, 63 tested positive for Aussie flu, 63 identified the strain of influenza B known as Japanese flu, while 50 detected swine flu."

Then again, don't expect the Currant Bun is read much in Liverpool.

General searching suggests that this year's flu jab gives some protection against Aussie Flu.

Main thing, don't kiss any pigs.!:woot:

Edit: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/?

D

Deleted member 308541

If you received the quadrivalent one it included the Brisbane strain.
I put the link for that types of fluvax I had, and what strains if protects against in my post here Rach'.

I live approx 400 Klms north of Brisbane, if there was a epidemic / or even a panicky pandemic it would have killed every one off by now.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put the link for that types of fluvax I had, and what strains if protects against in my post here Rach'.

I live approx 400 Klms north of Brisbane, if there was a epidemic / or even a panicky pandemic it would have killed every one off by now.
Yes it looks like the U.K. followed suit

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you were given the jab you may have been given a leaflet. That details the strains it protects against. My understanding is that the commonly given jab doesn't protect against Aussie flu, but if you had the quadruple (I think it's called) then it does.

I didn't get a leaflet :/