1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Aussie Flu

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by SamElliott1997, Jan 12, 2018.

1. SamElliott1997

SamElliott1997 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just a quick question, going back to Uni soon in densely populated Liverpool. I had the free flu jab back in October. Does it protect against Australian Flu? Well, as much as a vaccine can, I know they're not always 100% effective, but it's better than nothing.

Actually, if you have the information, which strains does it protect against this year? We're just given this jab but never told which strains they've selected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

It is the H3N2 strain so just ask. I know of no-one in my Australian town that was hit with it. Your "boots" outlets are recorded as having a a jab that protects you. At the time of of our outbreak, we didn't

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't think our flu jab this winter does cover Aussie flu - that's why they are so worried about the hospitals being overcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It does give some protection against the Aussie flu, last year it worked a lot better in people under 70. Being young it is likely to protect against any strain that is "a bit like" the strains in it. This year for old people, people who have had it, are much less likely to need intensive care but are some still needing hospital care.

Washing your hands before eating etc, and after touching menus etc can also make a big difference in the risk of getting the flu.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Get those multivitamins taken.
    They are a god send. I forgot to refill mine and ended up ill. :(
    Laryngitis and flu like symptoms for 2-3 days. Hypos on top.

Now back on them I'm feeling hugely better.
    Boots chemist cheapies are just as good as any.

I hope you all stay well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure on the news last night they were talking about this, and the flu jab this year doesn't protect against the Aussie flu.

.......................apparently the antigens are up side down............:D...................I'll leave now!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. SamElliott1997

Oh dear... Was not expecting that XD

8. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had the Fluvax (quadrivalent) given me last April and I have not had the Australian flu or any other type flues.

It's nearly fluvax time again in Australia in April, then I am covered for winter 2018.

• Like Like x 1
  9. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When you were given the jab you may have been given a leaflet. That details the strains it protects against. My understanding is that the commonly given jab doesn't protect against Aussie flu, but if you had the quadruple (I think it's called) then it does.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tipetoo

No leaflet, but I had the web link: https://www.tga.gov.au/aivc-recommendations-composition-influenza-vaccine-australia-2017
    Something protected me then as that was the commonly given fluvax last year.
    It's called quadrivalent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The Sun says "Of 180 flu tests carried out by Public Health England so far this winter, 63 tested positive for Aussie flu, 63 identified the strain of influenza B known as Japanese flu, while 50 detected swine flu."

Then again, don't expect the Currant Bun is read much in Liverpool.

General searching suggests that this year's flu jab gives some protection against Aussie Flu.

Main thing, don't kiss any pigs.!:woot:

Edit: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tipetoo

I put the link for that types of fluvax I had, and what strains if protects against in my post here Rach'.

I live approx 400 Klms north of Brisbane, if there was a epidemic / or even a panicky pandemic it would have killed every one off by now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes it looks like the U.K. followed suit

15. SamElliott1997

I didn't get a leaflet :/

16. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I didn't get a leaflet this year when the GP gave me the jab, but I did last year when I had it done at Boots (free to me - paid for by the local authority because I work in a school).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook