Will it make a difference if I take 15 minutes to eat a slice of white toast?

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone,

I am carving for a white slice of toast ( sourdough) with bovril this morning. Yes yes I know white bread is a killer and haven't touched one since diagnosed in early November. I am just wondering, that if I take time to eat it, say, 15minutes to consume that one slice, tiny bite each time just for the taste, will that help with bg spike? The same for fruit, if I take half an hour to munch through an apple ( yes I can do it- I am a slow eater anyway), will that make any difference to if I finish it in 3 minutes??

Apologies if it sounds a stupid question, but I am carving... and trying to find a reason/ excuse to have it..
Have a nice Sunday!

Reactions: manifesto

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry but if you do eat it, no matter how slowly then a couple of things are going to happen. You will prolong the time it takes to beat the cravings and beat the carb addiction. You will have had the carbs that promote hunger so you may find it even more difficult to resist having another slice later.

You could try having a small apple after your main meal and see if it raises your bg levels (or even half of a small apple if you really needing a sweet fix). Good luck.

Reactions: ziggy_w

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cravings are a bit*ch! They usually mean you are proper hungry so eat something else.

Scrambled eggs made with cream or butter? Have you got a slice of cold meat you can spread with butter and bovril? I know, that sounds weird but trust me on that one.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone,

I am carving for a white slice of toast ( sourdough) with bovril this morning. Yes yes I know white bread is a killer and haven't touched one since diagnosed in early November. I am just wondering, that if I take time to eat it, say, 15minutes to consume that one slice, tiny bite each time just for the taste, will that help with bg spike? The same for fruit, if I take half an hour to munch through an apple ( yes I can do it- I am a slow eater anyway), will that make any difference to if I finish it in 3 minutes??

Apologies if it sounds a stupid question, but I am carving... and trying to find a reason/ excuse to have it..
Have a nice Sunday!

I think it will make a small difference... what you could do is to build more muscle mass that will probably lower your insulin resistance a bit and then after exercise there would be space for a piece of white bread I suppose..

Reactions: Red_river_

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cravings are a bit*ch! They usually mean you are proper hungry so eat something else.

Scrambled eggs made with cream or butter? Have you got a slice of cold meat you can spread with butter and bovril? I know, that sounds weird but trust me on that one.
No I am not hungry at all. I never feel hungry in the morning. Just I love all things flour and carbs and not having any for months..., and this morning in bed smelling the toast from kitchen.. I had nothing but eggs for breakfast the whole month of November, and got tired of it. Move on to Oat bran in Dec and got bored with it now... I so miss having toast in the morning..

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but if you do eat it, no matter how slowly then a couple of things are going to happen. You will prolong the time it takes to beat the cravings and beat the carb addiction. You will have had the carbs that promote hunger so you may find it even more difficult to resist having another slice later.

You could try having a small apple after your main meal and see if it raises your bg levels (or even half of a small apple if you really needing a sweet fix). Good luck.
Thanks for your reply Guzzler.. so it's a no then :( . I would have thought that if I eat it really slowly my bg will raise really slowly too and won't make a big impact as if I gobble it down in a few minutes.
I just had a whole meal slice with a boiled egg instead.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it will make a small difference... what you could do is to build more muscle mass that will probably lower your insulin resistance a bit and then after exercise there would be space for a piece of white bread I suppose..
Thanks Freema for your reply. It sounds like a really long road to my white toast then... :) , and I am willing to walk that road

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I am not hungry at all. I never feel hungry in the morning. Just I love all things flour and carbs and not having any for months..., and this morning in bed smelling the toast from kitchen.. I had nothing but eggs for breakfast the whole month of November, and got tired of it. Move on to Oat bran in Dec and got bored with it now... I so miss having toast in the morning..

You may not actually feel hungry but a craving is also a sign that you need to eat and it’s far easier to eat something low carb that to fight the craving.
The toasty crunch thing is one of the things that’s hardest to deal with, the quests for crunchy are legendary!

Reactions: Red_river_

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may not actually feel hungry but a craving is also a sign that you need to eat and it’s far easier to eat something low carb that to fight the craving.
The toasty crunch thing is one of the things that’s hardest to deal with, the quests for crunchy are legendary!
You are so right about the toasty crunchy thing... I ended up having a whole meal toast with boiled egg.. Not quite the same though.. Oh I sooo love a toasted slice of sourdough ....I must stop thinking about it now..!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Red_river_ ,

Have you thought about something to cause a "diversionary" craving for breakfast, like the smell of bacon or smoked kipper in the morning?

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Red_river_ ,

Have you thought about something to cause a "diversionary" craving for breakfast, like the smell of bacon or smoked kipper in the morning?
Yeah this morning it was a smell of toast from the kitchen. Other times just when I think of things I love but can't have anymore

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find a slice of sourdough toast does not spike me much (without taking any insulin for it). Other bread does. Maybe just try it and test?, I personally think that the thought of never having it ever makes me miserable. Having said that, I am the type that can stick to it once a week or whatever so I do agree that if you are the type that would crave it constantly, be wary.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you had bread anyway - why worry about the type? A slice of bread is a hefty load of carbs.
I can manage one of the Lidl protein rolls - toasted with cheese they are great, and quite low carb - they just scrape in under 10 percent but I don't have them often and they are the only breadlike food I consume.

Reactions: Kbarbaracollins_

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a blood test meter?
No I haven't. Nurse, GP, even my husband all advise against it. I myself is not keen as I fear needles and blood, although understand that perhaps I should have one.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I haven't. Nurse, GP, even my husband all advise against it. I myself is not keen as I fear needles and blood, although understand that perhaps I should have one.

We have been nagging you for some time to get one!! ;) Bite the bullet and try one. You really are working blind.

Had you got one you could have had your sourdough toast and tested it. Your wholemeal slice this morning could well have spiked you even higher. Without a meter you will never know if you can eat one or the other or both or neither.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daft advice if you ask me, how on earth can you control your levels if you don’t know what they are? If you tested this morning and found you were in double figures, would you have eaten the bread?

Advising you not to test is like crossing a road blindfolded.

Reactions: bradley_smasher

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find a slice of sourdough toast does not spike me much (without taking any insulin for it). Other bread does. Maybe just try it and test?, I personally think that the thought of never having it ever makes me miserable. Having said that, I am the type that can stick to it once a week or whatever so I do agree that if you are the type that would crave it constantly, be wary.
I am like you in a way that thoughts of sth that I won't be able to enjoy for life make me miserable , but I can be revy discipline and stick with the rules. I have not had a white bread for 3 months, since day one of being diagnosed. I don't often crave for things, or not too often, but normally I overcome it and don't give in. Just a thought this morning as I imagined bg goes up very slowly as very little carbs goes in the system in a lon period of time, not enough to make a big impact that was all..

Reactions: maggiep

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ask your husband, GP & DSN this.. Would they drive a car on a public highway without a speedo & wait around for the points on the licence to rack up to a ban? ;)

Get a meter!