Bariatric Surgery for T2's - Gastric Bypass

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I've been away for a while - but I'd really love to hear peoples thoughts on treating/improving T2D with Gastric Bypass Surgery.

I know it seems pretty severe, but I have done a LOT of research on this, and the improvements are often drastic.

Would anyone here consider it?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm more than considering it @Patch . I'm currently in tier 3 for bariatric surgery. It is a personal decision for having the operation and if referred from the diabesity team to improve your diabetes care. Your team are the best advisors for what their aspirations are for you after surgery.
Like everything diabetic we are all different but every diabetic ends up on less meds after this surgery. Not one ends up on more. I commented on a declaration of 7yrs after surgery and remission in those patients was still standing.
***Edited to add link.**
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...mission-seven-years-later-study-finds.130581/

Are you thinking of starting the process?

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
One thing I know is the positive effects are highly documented but the negative failings are not so repeated.
Many are re-adding after long term lapse after op but not necessarily diabetics. Those with eating disorders were not picked up in the early days of the ops too. All things that are being tightened up on before ops now.
The hoops I've had to jump through and still not oked for to see surgeon yet. Weight loss target was achieved on low carb so nearly 4st loss smashed their initial 10lb loss needed.
Currently having a hiccup with metformin so no weight loss this week. Just changed to a different pain relief management too so hoping weight loss will kick back in, even thou on large amounts of insulin. Its been a very painful and ill winter again.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that one of the top doctors for "low carb" in the USA does a lot of bariatric surgery for T2, but he uses "low carb" first.

Reactions: ickihun

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back @Patch - can't give an opinion on your question but just wanted to say nice to see you again :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Remember that one of the top doctors for "low carb" in the USA does a lot of bariatric surgery for T2, but he uses "low carb" first.
I'm pleased to hear it. However it just goes to show low carb still doesn't always prevent bariatric ops. No replacement for some but personally a long term eating method for diabetics, for sure. I think much more helpful than eatwell plate for bgs raised from carbs.
The dieticians attached to my bariatric team are anti-low carb which is a crying shame.
I will lose weight and with op help have the physiology to keep it off. Hopefully.
My endocrologist approves it and even is on the team who sanction it in my area. One thing about this op your guaranteed weight loss too. No maybes or for some, but ALL.
In any change of eating routine/plan...the maintenance is always the hardest part. Whatever the new way of eating. Habitual ways can make or break any change. In any part of life. Not just eating patterns/routines/plans.
The human factor has to be recognised so that is why a psychologist is assigned.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem a severe, dangerous and non reversible step to take - but I was testing as non diabetic after 80 days low carbing so I am very very lucky.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I will follow this thread as am interested.
When I was first diagnosed as t2 was extremely overweight, am still lol.
My gp mentioned the surgery for me.
I have spoken to my psych about it, he has flatly refused to give the go ahead for me. As I am still classed as being unstable because of my bipolar, the psych will have to give permission to say I would be fit mentally to even start thinking about about it.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I had a gastric band op in 2007, personally I regret it and wish I'd never had it done. I did lose around 3 stone but it was horrible. What they don't tell you is that you will be sick most days and the amount of restriction will vary from day to day. My friend had a gastric sleeve which is a much more invasive op and initially lost several stone but has gained it all back within about a year. I am now doing the lchf and am feeling great. I'm sorry to be so negative but I think if you've had a weight problem for a long time surgery isn't the answer. Oh and my friend also become terribly anaemic due to the surgery.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
There is something called "head hunger" which can happen when someone who has long term weight issues as I do eat because they want to rather than because they're hungry. My friend gained all her weight back because she just ate chocolate which doesn't fill you up but packs in lots of calories. When she lost her weight she was no longer diabetic but she is now.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I've been away for a while - but I'd really love to hear peoples thoughts on treating/improving T2D with Gastric Bypass Surgery.

I know it seems pretty severe, but I have done a LOT of research on this, and the improvements are often drastic.

Patch! You’re a blast from the past, I hope life is good for you.

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was an article in my local newspaper earlier this week (not in English, sorry) about how prospective patients for gastric bypass were hiding any mental health issues they had, because they were afraid they' be refused the surgery. This was a follow up article to a previous one on how recent research showed that roughly 50% had mental health issues worsen or arise after surgery. Some had eating disorders that weren't caught before, or developped them after. Some had used eating as therapy for underlying issues, and were now without their coping mechanism.

I guess it is important to figure out why you're overweight before surgery - is it body chemistry such as insulin resistance, or is it genetics? Is it your way of eating, what you eat or why you eat? That way you will know what kind of additional help you will need pre- and post surgery.

A friend of mine has had great success with bariatric surgery. Her whole family struggles with weight, and she lost both her parents early because of obesity-related complications. She needed the physical restriction on the amount she ate. Changing her eating habits, which she learned as she grew up, was more than she could do through will power alone.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There was an article in my local newspaper earlier this week (not in English, sorry) about how prospective patients for gastric bypass were hiding any mental health issues they had, because they were afraid they' be refused the surgery. This was a follow up article to a previous one on how recent research showed that roughly 50% had mental health issues worsen or arise after surgery. Some had eating disorders that weren't caught before, or developped them after. Some had used eating as therapy for underlying issues, and were now without their coping mechanism.

I guess it is important to figure out why you're overweight before surgery - is it body chemistry such as insulin resistance, or is it genetics? Is it your way of eating, what you eat or why you eat? That way you will know what kind of additional help you will need pre- and post surgery.

A friend of mine has had great success with bariatric surgery. Her whole family struggles with weight, and she lost both her parents early because of obesity-related complications. She needed the physical restriction on the amount she ate. Changing her eating habits, which she learned as she grew up, was more than she could do through will power alone.
I've heard this too.
Luckily I don't use food as a crutch, I don't binge nor use food instead of anything missing in my life. I'm so lucky. I wasn't always so less screwed up. Psychologist believes it came from bad parental skills and knowledge/intellect from my mum and often drunk dad.
I've been independant for decades now. I've learned how to put food where it belongs, mostly still in takeaway restaurants and on cheap shops Bogof high carb shelves. I just don't buy it.
My severe insulin resistance has added so much weight after 2 pregnancies on heavy insulin. Metformin in pregnancy now reduces some of that. Children born less insulin resistant too. Its taken 40+yrs to create this IR problem it will take something drastic to help.

Last edited:

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My doctor's are considering gastric bypass for me, but I am 50/50 on the idea of having it done. 2 years ago I would have said yes to it as I was approaching 25 stone, but now I'm close to being 16 stone and feel like I can continue to lose my weight without having a gastric bypass done.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor's are considering gastric bypass for me, but I am 50/50 on the idea of having it done. 2 years ago I would have said yes to it as I was approaching 25 stone, but now I'm close to being 16 stone and feel like I can continue to lose my weight without having a gastric bypass done.

Well done Akindrat. That is an excellent achievement. I know how you were struggling at one time. Keep up the good work! :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is there a little part of you still interested in the reversal result from that op?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Brilliant work. Can you see keeping it off, for life? I know bariatric surgery doesn't guarantee that, nothing does but can you see never getting morbidly obese again?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a little part of you still interested in the reversal result from that op?

There will always be a little part of my mind on the results.

Brilliant work. Can you see keeping it off, for life? I know bariatric surgery doesn't guarantee that, nothing does but can you see never getting morbidly obese again?

If I'm being honest, then yeah I can see myself not being morbidly obese. As for keeping it off for life, I don't see myself being at one healthy weight as I'm still young at 24, but I would like to ideally weigh at 13 or 14 stone by the end of the year and hopefully stay that weight. I don't know if I'm going to stay that weight all my life and it might be hard to do so, who knows what the future holds.

Reactions: Struma

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@akindrat18 Get yourself a copy of the "Diabetes Unpacked" book, it is worth the price just for the chapter written by the bariatric surgeon. It is slow from Amazon as they don't keep it in stock, therefore order it from http://diabetesunpacked.com/

You may benefit from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy if you can find someone who is very good at it, and understand issues with eating. Shame it is normally only provided as part of the bariatric surgery pathway, but ask you UK, or ideally consultant for it.

Reactions: ickihun