What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Sheldon5280

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Immigration
Just carried out my first morning fasting test after changing to low carb lifestyle 2 weeks ago and it was 7.9? Is this still to high? I was diagnosed type 2 a few months ago. I only had about 4 hours sleep so could this affect it?
I tested yesterday 2 hours after eating and it was 7.6 the meter says in range?

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
QUOTE="Sheldon5280, post: 1674637, member: 365396"]Just carried out my first morning fasting test after changing to low carb lifestyle 2 weeks ago and it was 7.9? Is this still to high? I was diagnosed type 2 a few months ago. I only had about 4 hours sleep so could this affect it?
I tested yesterday 2 hours after eating and it was 7.6 the meter says in range?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
QUOTE="Sheldon5280, post: 1674637, member: 365396"]Just carried out my first morning fasting test after changing to low carb lifestyle 2 weeks ago and it was 7.9? Is this still to high? I was diagnosed type 2 a few months ago. I only had about 4 hours sleep so could this affect it?
I tested yesterday 2 hours after eating and it was 7.6 the meter says in range?
[/QUOTE]

Hi Sheldon...there are a range of BG levels we should be aiming for...I've included those for you:

T2 Diabetes 4 to 7 mmols (before eating) under 8.5 mmols (after eating)

Your numbers are just outside the recommended range for T2 with the 7.9 on waking...but...for someone newly diagnosed and just two weeks in... that's pretty good going.

Pretty much anything can affect our BGs...anxiety...stress...lack of sleep...or when we're unwell...so for now I wouldn't concentrate too much on those numbers...focus on finding the right routine for you...one you can sustain in the long term...no need to rush...take your time...when I started on the diabetes treadmill my FBG was at 17.4...now 18 months later I have an average of 5.4...wondering if you are on any medication...how you came to be diagnosed...what your HbA1c result was...have you been advised to book on an education course...this site is a wealth of information...ask what you need to...I've no doubt someone will have the answer...be able to offer advice...make the appropriate suggestions...I've tagged @daisy1 who will give you all the basic information you need to get you started here...be interested to hear your progress...welcome to the forum...good luck.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi yes my first post thank you . I’ve been diabetic since May last year after going through pancreatic surgery that has left me diabetic so still finding my way but this sight is helping
As a T2 I am shamefully ignorant of type 1 issues Sammylou...fortunately there are many here who will be able to answer any questions you have...point you in the right direction & offer the appropriate advice...believe our initial diagnosis whether type 1 or 2 comes as shock...is confusing...daunting...this site is a wealth of information...lots of positive examples of diabetes management...good luck.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Sammylou26
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here, in my signature, are the links to the Basic Information for New Members and to the Low Carb Program. Ask questions when you want and someone will help.

Sheldon5280

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Immigration

Hi Sheldon...there are a range of BG levels we should be aiming for...I've included those for you:

T2 Diabetes 4 to 7 mmols (before eating) under 8.5 mmols (after eating)

Your numbers are just outside the recommended range for T2 with the 7.9 on waking...but...for someone newly diagnosed and just two weeks in... that's pretty good going.

Pretty much anything can affect our BGs...anxiety...stress...lack of sleep...or when we're unwell...so for now I wouldn't concentrate too much on those numbers...focus on finding the right routine for you...one you can sustain in the long term...no need to rush...take your time...when I started on the diabetes treadmill my FBG was at 17.4...now 18 months later I have an average of 5.4...wondering if you are on any medication...how you came to be diagnosed...what your HbA1c result was...have you been advised to book on an education course...this site is a wealth of information...ask what you need to...I've no doubt someone will have the answer...be able to offer advice...make the appropriate suggestions...I've tagged @daisy1 who will give you all the basic information you need to get you started here...be interested to hear your progress...welcome to the forum...good luck.[/QUOTE]
Hi
Thank you for your kind reply.
Fast history: my first test was 19 at the doctors. After 2 weeks of switching my diet and cutting sugar out of everything I could it then read 5.2.
The first blood test came in at I think around 300?
I haven’t had the second one yet.
They gave me metforming but I don’t like being on medication so I never took it but focused on diet and some cycling.
I now eat as little carbs as possible and I’m trying the Banting lifestyle and I have to say I do feel a lot better.
I went and got my eyes tested and was told I had spots on my eyes but after changing my lifestyle I re visited and was told they had all gone so that was good.
Sorry for the rushed but if history.
I don’t eat any rubbish anymore and cook everything from scratch. I want to try and control this myself without medication.
I’m a really strong person luckily so I can just stop things straight away if I have too.
I have never smoked and I don’t drink, quite boring really lol.

Reactions: geefull and ziggy_w

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi everyone sorry not much time off to vets with our dogs so here goes
Bg@7:15am 6.8
Bg@ 11am before brunch 6.2
Bg 90 mins after brunch 5.6
Speak later hope everyone is well have a good weekend! K

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fast history: my first test was 19 at the doctors. After 2 weeks of switching my diet and cutting sugar out of everything I could it then read 5.2.

Welcome, and congratulations!

I was diagnosed a couple of months ago, and switched to a low carb diet (experiments aside), and this morning measured a 7.0 Which is a bit higher than my normal, but I suspect cold weather and a bit of a cold isn't helping. I think the trend and average is the important thing, ie keeping our levels in the 'safe' range.. Which is where the HbA1c test comes in. That's a sort of 3-month average and helps show if we're controlling our diabetes, or not. And I guess mine's due soon..

Reactions: Glenmac and ziggy_w