ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reversal results have been proven to be higher in patients who have the Roux-en-y bariatric surgery. All other procedures have a lower success rate of diabetes remission/reversal.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think it depends how urgent you need to lose weight.
Life or death?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had the gastric band. They seem to have gone out of favour..perhaps because they don't really work
I agree. I don't know anyone who has used the band long term with success and definitely no diabetes reversal.
If you can continue on low carb I think alongside band you will get to your ideal weight. Once band comes off 99% add weight back. NHS won't remove a band lightly as they know its removal effects.

Reactions: connie104

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My friends had their gastric bypasses done within the last 5 years, in the UK

Once band comes off 99% add weight back.

I would like to know where you get that figure from, as most of the uk sites I googled say nothing of the sort.

Reactions: shez

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My friends had their gastric bypasses done within the last 5 years, in the UK

I would like to know where you get that figure from, as most of the uk sites I googled say nothing of the sort.
Ask those whose working with them to help keep the weight down. Dieticians and psychologists. They see it every day in areas where these ops are carried out everyday.
Sunderland has a huge bariatric unit and world known for these different ops.

ricke17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a gastric bypass in November 2008. My T2 didn’t go away and, in fact, got worse. I’ve regained most of the weight I lost and remain on insulin and metform.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had a gastric bypass in November 2008. My T2 didn’t go away and, in fact, got worse. I’ve regained most of the weight I lost and remain on insulin and metform.
How long has it taken to get your weight back to your original pre-op weight?
I bet you had no help with maintenance in 2008. Maintenance is the hardest part of losing weight. I lost weight without op in my youth but no help with maintenance so it took about 7yrs to readd my 7st I lost. Same?

ricke17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I most likely had the surgery at the wrong time in my life as 3 months post surgery my mum suddenly died and then 7 months later my dad died. As I could hardly eat and having an addictive personality I turned to alcohol for a year or so until I had enough and knocked it on the head. So the empty calories didn’t help. Essentially I had zero psychological support back then and have subsequently been discharged from the Bariatric Service (I missed a few appointments and they d/c me in my absence). So it’s taken about the same amount of time as you and am currently trying to get re-referred back for potential revision Surgery as the amount of weight I need to lose is so much that dieting alone will not help.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ask those whose working with them to help keep the weight down. Dieticians and psychologists. They see it every day in areas where these ops are carried out everyday.
Sunderland has a huge bariatric unit and world known for these different ops.
They have no problem keeping their weight down - they cant eat!!!!!

I think you are skim reading.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
They have no problem keeping their weight down - they cant eat!!!!!

I think you are skim reading.
Are we now talking about the band or gastric bypass?
I was continuing on debs complaint about her band and many who have it removed add the weight back. Dieticians and other health bodies trying to help with eating disorders.

As of bariatric surgery, yes sometimes they cannot eat due to being full as new stomach is size of an egg. Micro meals are needed not restraurant food. Ice cube size portions. It is given to patients in black and white.
I know what it changes... Many think they can continue eating like pre-op. You cannot. The surgeons never offer that with this op. Some stretch their egg size stomach and regain the weight they needed to lose.
Yes some cannot eat as they don't follow the instructions which are given and yes a portion do everything they should and still have a problem. Which mystifies everyone!
We are all different.

I cannot type here and say mine will be perfect but this op is a last resort not a whim!

I looked into this op before I said yes. I'm not a wishy washy person so once I'm OK about something its because I've looked at the pros and con first. Listened to a variation of post-op patients and NHS staff who are expected to put things right when things go wrong.
Many people like my brother-in-laws mum have thrived since her op. She would have been died by now without it. She still has to eat little and often but she's very very happy and has kept her weight off. She walks everywhere but was in a wheelchair because of her obesity health issues. She was prediabetic but no longer.

Not everyone has a major problem after their op and not everyone doesn't.
My options are......die soon or have the op.
I wonder what you would choose?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I most likely had the surgery at the wrong time in my life as 3 months post surgery my mum suddenly died and then 7 months later my dad died. As I could hardly eat and having an addictive personality I turned to alcohol for a year or so until I had enough and knocked it on the head. So the empty calories didn’t help. Essentially I had zero psychological support back then and have subsequently been discharged from the Bariatric Service (I missed a few appointments and they d/c me in my absence). So it’s taken about the same amount of time as you and am currently trying to get re-referred back for potential revision Surgery as the amount of weight I need to lose is so much that dieting alone will not help.
We do get warned that some replace food with alcohol or painkillers. It hasn't gone unnoticed. They are trying to perfect the programme pre-op to cover every eventuality now. They are listening to what's been missing.
I hope they do perfect it for those who come after me and if i could be guaranteed another 5yrs to sort my weight out I'd wait but I'm ill every winter due to my weight not helping.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not believe or accept that people die without this op, not the majority of people who have it done. I think it is scaremongering by the medical profession to utilise a quick fix, with little or no long term studies done into its effect. What is the reasons given to you to make you think you are going to die soon unless you have this done?

Remember how they tell us we will die early from diabetes, and cholesterol, and a number of other illnesses?

My friends has bariatric surgery. Yes, they have and do follow the advice about meals to the letter. One has since had her gall bladder removed, the other has complications due to not being able to eat more than a few teaspoons full of semi solids after 4 years.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I will die without this op! Me. Not doctors hearsay.
I nearly died last year.

Are you listening?

Reactions: ricke17

ricke17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Presumably from complicated medical problems. I don’t think @ickihun needs to justify her decision. It’s hard enough to decide to have surgery at the best of times.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No op can guarantee to allow overeating in micro form.
Do you know why gallbladder gets damaged or interfered with? Irrespective of a surgery, in none diabetes even?
None diabetics and people who haven't had surgery get gall bladder problems.

I may be wrong but bad diet causes gall gladder problems, I thought?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It certainly isn’t a quick fix.
I dont mean its a quick fix for the people who have it done. I mean its a way of doctors washing their hands and saying they have done all they can.

I would like to see the option of having the cost of bariatric surgery spent on counselling, and education, and support, and safe exercise places etc etc. Mind you, their idea of education might be the eatwell plate.

ricke17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
To have Bariatric Surgery funded on the Nhs you have to jump thru hoops which includes everything you’ve mentioned. Unless you’re in a similar position to those who need this surgery it’s difficult to resonate.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
thats what I am asking - why will you die without this op? what from?
I hope you never have to find out.

I'm thankful you feel this way as you definitely wouldn't need this op nor should consider it.
Its not like have a tooth out. Its a major operation. It should never be offered too easily. Or too soon.

Reactions: ricke17