Squeezing finger

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does squeezing my finger to get the drop of blood for testing make a difference to the result?

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Apparently interstitial fluid may interfere with the results. I sometimes have to squeeze but I'm hardly ever surprised at my readings when I have done this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All I know is that underneath the skin but before the capillaries is the interstitial fluid. This also carries glucose (it is what the Libre sensor measures) and it runs about 15 minutes behind glucose. Squeezing can bring out this fluid along with the capillary blood. That much is clear, but what significant difference it makes for T2's not injecting insulin and only after trends, I really don't know. The advice is to wipe away the first speck of blood after a prick and use the second. This is easier said than done when blood doesn't appear. It doesn't appear in me, so I do have to squeeze but do try to "milk" the finger from base towards tip rather than squeeze from side to side. No idea if this helps or not.

Reactions: hankjam

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That should have said "make a difference to the result"

I have edited my first post now.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Never read/heard that before.

I tend to be pleased if I get a large enough drop of blood to test with, which is a very small drop for my meter.

It is easier to get blood out (of a stone) after exercise has warmed me up and got the juices flowing but this doesn't really fit in with a fasting test.

Squeezing isn't advisable but repeated prongings aren't to my liking either.

Reactions: EllieM

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My daughter was telling me this at Christmas. She started her nursing degree last September and was watching me try to get a drop of blood and told me not to squeeze my finger, for the reason stated. Told me to warm hands and hold finger downwards. I still struggle to get blood tho.....

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so does the introduction of interstatial fluid affect the result up or down?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
so does the introduction of interstatial fluid affect the result up or down?
I don't honestly have a clue, but doubt if it makes a very significant difference.
I usually run my hand under the hot tap, flap it about to get the drips off, dry on a towel and take a stab. Works pretty well most of the time.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't honestly have a clue, but doubt if it makes a very significant difference.
I usually run my hand under the hot tap, flap it about to get the drips off, dry on a towel and take a stab. Works pretty well most of the time.
Same for me, if my hands are warm there is no need for any squeezing, plenty of blood especially as my TEE2 needs a tiny amount.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if the fluid is a little behind it cant be massively different

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are times when it easier to get blood out of a stone than my finger.... not a lot else to do... I should I am a wimp and will not go lower than 1.5.... other times it's like a stuck pig.... blood everywhere.
I have often wondered if it makes a difference.

D

Deleted member 308541

There are times when it easier to get blood out of a stone than my finger.... not a lot else to do... I should I am a wimp and will not go lower than 1.5.... other times it's like a stuck pig.... blood everywhere.
Same here, although I do give a finger a squeeze if I am to lazy to change the depth from 3.5 to 4 to get a drop of blood to show.

Got a bit of a gusher the other week, hence the bloody left finger in my avatar.

Reactions: hankjam

BunsenHoneydew

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Annoying I've found the side of my fingers that's away from me gives blood more easily than the side facing me. So I'm contortioning my hand awkwardly to get the blood onto the strip...

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had more difficulty than usual getting a drop this morning and had to squeeze quite hard and my reading was 6.5 which is high for me as it’s usually between 4.8 and 5.8 so I tried again on a different finger, the blood flowed easier with a result of 5.4 followed by another reading of 5.5.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I had more difficulty than usual getting a drop this morning and had to squeeze quite hard and my reading was 6.5 which is high for me as it’s usually between 4.8 and 5.8 so I tried again on a different finger, the blood flowed easier with a result of 5.4 followed by another reading of 5.5.

I've had that happen with or with squeezing the finger hard, any surprises are always a good reason to retest like you did. I do the same thing. I just chalk it up to a bad strip.