Different GP's and different opinions....

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those of you with long memories may remember that I changed GP's last year, and when I had my annual blood test, I was told that they consider my Diabetes to be "resolved", due to my results over the previous 2 years, and issued a letter stating that.

My previous GP had never said anything to me, other than congratulating me on my results, and was even still prescribing Metformin to me, until I cancelled it as I'd stopped taking it many months earlier.

Fast forward to now, and we've moved again, this time to South London and I was asked to undertake a blood test which I did. As a result of this my new GP surgery has decided that they don't understand my results, and now want me to undertake an OGTT, and depending on the result of that I may be referred to an endocrinologist.

I have been eating a lot more carbohydrate over the last 12 months, and especially over the Xmas period, so I was quite surprised that my test result was still as low as it is. I was aiming for something in the low 30's.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do they think is wrong with you? You have completely normal results so why the referral?
Seems a bit odd to me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What were the blood test results that have confused your new doctor?

An OGTT is no bad thing as it should confirm your diabetes is resolved.

Reactions: ickihun

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it’s another example of the NHS expecting T2D to progress and worsen over time, and anything that goes counter to that idea is “unusual”

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What were the blood test results that have confused your new doctor?

The initial drop from 88 to 32 in 3 months, and then all the results in the 20’s ever since even though I am not on medication.

She did ask “so just how many carbs do you eat on your diet ?” To which of course I had to reply that I have no idea as I don’t count them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The initial drop from 88 to 32 in 3 months, and then all the results in the 20’s ever since even though I am not on medication.

She did ask “so just how many carbs do you eat on your diet ?” To which of course I had to reply that I have no idea as I don’t count them.

She has probably never seen an unmedicated T2 drop like you did, and maintain the drop. (an it was a huge and amazing drop followed by maintenance) I can see why she is puzzled. Most if not all her other diabetes patients are probably progressing test on test, and receiving more and more medication. It's what most GPs expect because it's all they see. Have the OGTT and prove her wrong.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you know if it is the standard T2 2 hour OGTT?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Give your new GP a copy of http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2017/09/type2diabetesisreversible/ and tell the GP you did the same but with a low carb diet rather than a low corrie diet.

However, seeing the consultant could be good fun as they tend to be up to date on research, the best discussion I had with a medic was with the lipid consultant. It took so long to see her that my lipids were normal by then due to low carb, however, I got a letter sent to my GP saying I should keep to the low carb diet.

lindisfel

Expert

Can they check to see if you are turning over blood cells very fast?
It is an enormous change for a carb consuming ex T2D! Good luck to you.
D.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe because it's a new doctor wants to drill you. I think it's better one exam than another.
I have keratoconus, but I was astigmatic too. I've got eyeglasses since six.
Older eye doctor never found the condition and only give me different lens prescriptions.
When he retired I changed eye doctor, and made me some extra tests, got suspicious and took the manual keratometer and found that I had a problem.
80276-3078781.jpg

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can they check to see if you are turning over blood cells very fast?

A fasting BG test would show this up, as the result would be a lot higher then what is expected with such a low A1C. Or if you have your own BG meter, just look at the results 2hrs after eating some meals that are normal for you.

An OGTT would also show it up very well, as the BG readings will be a lot higher than what the A1C indicates.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I've just booked myself in (after waiting for 25 minutes on the phone) at 08:50 and 10:50 on 5th February.

If you can, take your own testing kit. I did, tested every 15 mins and got this:

upload_2018-1-27_19-23-13.png

My HbA1c at the time was 5.6. The test was done because, like you, I had dropped it to "normal" in a few months and the doctor thought that I must have been misdiagnoed as that was not possible. The graph proved her wrong!

Good luck.

Regards

Bluebell

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that the OGTT is not valid unless you have been eating a normal level of carbs for 2 weeks before the test. Anyone who eats "low carb" for a long time, their body "forgets" how to process carbs, this includes people who have never had type2.

But getting up to 17 is very impressive!

Reactions: Aly67