SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning everyone,
Can I get some recommedations? I want to get more active and need a tracker or something to help me. I've been on to Amazon but there are so many. What all this about Bluetooth? Just need a little inoffensive machine to help me on m journey

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to Argos and got a nuband watch and that you download a free app and then you connect the two of them via Bluetooth and they stay together and that you can do anything you want to with it and it is still a watch which you recharge up like a mobile phone and don't take long either to charge and you are on your way again

Jo123

I've got the alta hr from fitbit, I love it!
I find it motivates me to increase my exercise as I set myself the target of 15,000 daily steps and the app is very easy to use. The Bluetooth downloads my statistics to my ipad and phone.
My friend had the charge 2 and that is good too.

D

Deleted Account

Bluetooth is the mechanism fitness bands use to transfer their data to your mobile phone.
It is the same way hands-free phones work in cars.
(It's named after a Nordic Pirate .... who probably had bad dental hygiene ... and was designed in the days when Swedish Ericsson and Finnish Nokia were big in the mobile phone market ... but you don't need to know that to choose a fitness band :))

As for recommendations, I guess it depends what you want to use it for and how much you want to pay,
For example, are you happy to just count your steps or do you also want it to measure your swimming and cycling?
How often do you want to charge it? Many need charging daily but some can last a month ... or more if they have replaceable batteries.
Do you want to extract the data to be able to review your targets over the last month, year ... or just see what you have done today and forget about it? Many people aim for something like an average of 10,000 steps per day which gives them flexibility to have a chilled day every so often. This is what you need that pesky pirate for.
Do you intend to wear it all the time or just when you exercise? Wearing it all the time will count those steps you forget about like when you go and put the kettle on but it will replace your watch so you need a clock on the band and you may want a smaller band (some of the fancy ones are very chunky).

Sorry, not exactly a recommendation but I hope I have helped rather than confused.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a basic Fitbit Flex 2 - it's neat, discreet and comfy but I cannot for the life of me synch it to my laptop. That can be a problem, although it might be the ancientness of my laptop. I have seen an amazing Apple Series 3 watch which does just about everything except make the tea. GPS, sleep tracker, download your fave tracks for running etc, hills climbed, and so on. The user swears by it and wears it all the time, and finds the sleep tracker especially useful (bad sleep patterns impact on lots of things). Dread to think how much it cost though!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Bluetooth is the mechanism fitness bands use to transfer their data to your mobile phone.
It is the same way hands-free phones work in cars.
(It's named after a Nordic Pirate .... who probably had bad dental hygiene ... and was designed in the days when Swedish Ericsson and Finnish Nokia were big in the mobile phone market ... but you don't need to know that to choose a fitness band :))

As for recommendations, I guess it depends what you want to use it for and how much you want to pay,
For example, are you happy to just count your steps or do you also want it to measure your swimming and cycling?
How often do you want to charge it? Many need charging daily but some can last a month ... or more if they have replaceable batteries.
Do you want to extract the data to be able to review your targets over the last month, year ... or just see what you have done today and forget about it? Many people aim for something like an average of 10,000 steps per day which gives them flexibility to have a chilled day every so often. This is what you need that pesky pirate for.
Do you intend to wear it all the time or just when you exercise? Wearing it all the time will count those steps you forget about like when you go and put the kettle on but it will replace your watch so you need a clock on the band and you may want a smaller band (some of the fancy ones are very chunky).

Sorry, not exactly a recommendation but I hope I have helped rather than confused.
Thanks, helps a lot. I want to wear it all the time when I walk around the house, cycle and swim. I haven't got a phone just a laptop so will I be able to connect to that do yoy know?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have a basic Fitbit Flex 2 - it's neat, discreet and comfy but I cannot for the life of me synch it to my laptop. That can be a problem, although it might be the ancientness of my laptop. I have seen an amazing Apple Series 3 watch which does just about everything except make the tea. GPS, sleep tracker, download your fave tracks for running etc, hills climbed, and so on. The user swears by it and wears it all the time, and finds the sleep tracker especially useful (bad sleep patterns impact on lots of things). Dread to think how much it cost though!
I have an ancien laptop, 3yrs old so I think I'll either need a new computer or forget this fitness tracker lark

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an ancien laptop, 3yrs old so I think I'll either need a new computer or forget this fitness tracker lark
My laptop is over 7 years old! It might be me being thick regarding synching, although I'm usually ok with technology. The techie finds his Apple thing invaluable and it has helped him lose a huge amount of weight. I know of two others who have Fitbits and they have also found them helpful in tracking their fitness progress. Must admit I've given up on the Flex 2 and use a watch watch to check minutes done - a Luddite! I hope you find one that helps you with your progress.

Reactions: SueJB
D

Deleted Account

Thanks, helps a lot. I want to wear it all the time when I walk around the house, cycle and swim. I haven't got a phone just a laptop so will I be able to connect to that do yoy know?
I suspect different fitness bands and different laptop have different apps, etc. so you would have to check it out.
However, you can now get some pretty cheap smart phones (less than £20) which maybe worth checking out.
Sure it's an additional cost but it gives you a little more than just keeping track of your activity.
You don't have to connect it to a mobile phone network.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

SueJB, most trackers have a little screen via which you can view that day's activity, but the beauty of the Bluetooth transfer is it helps collate the longer term data in one place.

Some of the trackers can be transferred by USB (embedded in the wrist strap, but Bluetooth is the new norm.

When I was buying my own tracker, I didn't want to spend much, because I didn't think I'd get on with it, but was curious about what I was actually doing, having heard a researcher talk on the subject, and mentioning how most people significantly over estimate their activity levels.

Aside from the Bluetooth functionality, I think it's then important to consider what you want the gizmo to actually track. Mine have a digital watch face, for convenience, but then tracks my paces, what that equates to in distance, how many calories are expended in doing so, wrist blood pressure, heart rate and sleep.

Some more sophisticated trackers can tell what sort of activity is being undertaken (like walking v cycling and so on), but I wasn't too fussed. On mine the BP can be a bit adrift, but being a wrist measurement even the stand-alone wrist BP monitors are less accurate than those using an upper arm cuff.

I bought the following one, although it's cheaper now. It seems, from looking on Amazon, they have further developed the item too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUPALLA-Ac...8&qid=1516981079&sr=8-1&keywords=aupalla+21bp , with those offering more functionality obviously being a bit more expensive.

I charge the monitor via any USB port - either on my laptop or we have a number of strategically placed power sockets at home with built-in USB ports.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My laptop is over 7 years old! It might be me being thick regarding synching, although I'm usually ok with technology. The techie finds his Apple thing invaluable and it has helped him lose a huge amount of weight. I know of two others who have Fitbits and they have also found them helpful in tracking their fitness progress. Must admit I've given up on the Flex 2 and use a watch watch to check minutes done - a Luddite! I hope you find one that helps you with your progress.
I'm a Luddite too but also generally quite savvie with techie stuff. Seems like Fitbit is coming out on top

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I suspect different fitness bands and different laptop have different apps, etc. so you would have to check it out.
However, you can now get some pretty cheap smart phones (less than £20) which maybe worth checking out.
Sure it's an additional cost but it gives you a little more than just keeping track of your activity.
You don't have to connect it to a mobile phone network.
Well to be honest, I do have a phone but have never made a call on it but have used the camera!!

D

Deleted member 308541

I have a old Compaq notebook out at the shed, that is about six years old it has bluetooth enabled.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most trackers and watches need to be paired with a phone or tablet which has a companion app on it. I haven't really seen any which just pair up with a PC/laptop.

I went with a Misfit Ray. It's basic in that it doesn't have a screen but it tracks all my steps automatically, can be taken swimming, tracks sleep, doesn't need charging (battery change every few months) and doesn't look like a gadget on my wrist (so I can wear a watch with it on). I just sync it with my phone every so often to see what's been tracked.

D

Deleted member 308541

Most trackers and watches need to be paired with a phone or tablet which has a companion app on it.
I was thinking of what I do with my Diabetes Journal android app on my mobile phone, that I send data as a .pdf file or a graphic image to my notebook.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have a old Compaq notebook out at the shed, that is about six years old it has bluetooth enabled.
Hi@Tipetoo, do you know how I could check if my laptop is Bluetooth enabled?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Most trackers and watches need to be paired with a phone or tablet which has a companion app on it. I haven't really seen any which just pair up with a PC/laptop.

I went with a Misfit Ray. It's basic in that it doesn't have a screen but it tracks all my steps automatically, can be taken swimming, tracks sleep, doesn't need charging (battery change every few months) and doesn't look like a gadget on my wrist (so I can wear a watch with it on). I just sync it with my phone every so often to see what's been tracked.
almost there but the phone is the stumbling block

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Fitbit all the way, everyday. No ridiculous lock-in like one particular brand, so you can pair to anything.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a Fitbit One and can sync it with my Android tablet but not with my desktop computer. Syncing with my tablet is a bit of a struggle sometimes, but it always does it in the end. And then of course I can look at all my stats on the bigger screen of the desktop. Sadly, I don't think the One is available any more, except on Ebay. It is nice and simple and doesn't make false promises. It just records steps, miles, floors and tells the time. It is a bit over-generous with the miles and steps, but I make allowances for that and just compare one day with another. Oh, and it has a nice little flower that grows when I am active and shrinks when I stay too long sitting down.

IMO monitoring sleep and heart rate is a great idea but actually the technology is not up to it yet. I bought a Fitbit Charge2 and found the heart rate measuring was way out, also the steps. (For accurate heart rate monitoring you still need to wear a chest strap.) It said I had done 2000 steps before I had even left the house. I returned it the next day. Another downside of the more ambitious ones is that the battery runs down very fast, and if you want to monitor your sleep, when do you recharge it?

The Fitbit site gives great feedback, and you get encouraging emails from them too. On the other hand, the help available is poor. You are more or less obliged to seek help from the Fitbit Forum.