Hypo issues

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So if I’m testing my bloods and I’m hypo. I treat with glucose tabs or sweets etc. I retest and I’m still low. Does anyone else take ages to come back up?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @diabeticmegxo How long after you first check and you testing again ? If your levels have been on a rapid descent then it can take longer than normal to get them up, however rule of thumb is to treat, wait 10 mins test again, if still below 4 then re-treat and check again in 10 mins, once above 4 then have 10g of carb.

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @diabeticmegxo How long after you first check and you testing again ? If your levels have been on a rapid descent then it can take longer than normal to get them up, however rule of thumb is to treat, wait 10 mins test again, if still below 4 then re-treat and check again in 10 mins, once above 4 then have 10g of carb.

Thankyou, I’m testing 15 minutes later. I just follow what my nurse or doctor says haha I will tell them about this when I go again though

Reactions: thomasrichmond_16

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @diabeticmegxo If you're anything like me when you go hypo then I am impatient to get my levels back up again, partly due to the fact they make me feel agitated and generally unwell, it's so easy to over treat a hypo so having the sense to be patient just feels irrational ! Yes add this onto your list, hopefully they can help your with doses so that you aren't having so many, take care.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found that I tend to need 20 minutes after treating a hypo before a retest will show the effect it is taking.

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou, I’m testing 15 minutes later. I just follow what my nurse or doctor says haha I will tell them about this when I go again though
Yesterday I had a hypo and forgot to retest until after 3. Oops. Luckily it wasn't too long since I had had it..

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

Ndaud606

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So if I’m testing my bloods and I’m hypo. I treat with glucose tabs or sweets etc. I retest and I’m still low. Does anyone else take ages to come back up?
Hey I have type 1 diabetes now for 6 years since 2012 and now im 18 and honestly with college and prepping for University, it's really hard to keep a control of my sugar levels and I'm doing carb counting but I have a fixed dose of lantus for bedtime of 28units from 44units (alot i know)it's because whenever I wake up Im always having hypos below 4 and it can even sometimes go all the way down to 1 point something and I literally try way more than 6 glucose tablets and fast acting snacks and it wont go up till about 1hr after smh soo much stress. Im thinking of lowering my bedtime insulin