1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hypo issues

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by diabeticmegxo, Jan 28, 2018.

1. diabeticmegxo

diabeticmegxo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So if I’m testing my bloods and I’m hypo. I treat with glucose tabs or sweets etc. I retest and I’m still low. Does anyone else take ages to come back up?

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @diabeticmegxo How long after you first check and you testing again ? If your levels have been on a rapid descent then it can take longer than normal to get them up, however rule of thumb is to treat, wait 10 mins test again, if still below 4 then re-treat and check again in 10 mins, once above 4 then have 10g of carb.

• Like Like x 2
  3. diabeticmegxo

Thankyou, I’m testing 15 minutes later. I just follow what my nurse or doctor says haha I will tell them about this when I go again though

• Like Like x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @diabeticmegxo If you're anything like me when you go hypo then I am impatient to get my levels back up again, partly due to the fact they make me feel agitated and generally unwell, it's so easy to over treat a hypo so having the sense to be patient just feels irrational ! Yes add this onto your list, hopefully they can help your with doses so that you aren't having so many, take care.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have found that I tend to need 20 minutes after treating a hypo before a retest will show the effect it is taking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. diabeticmegxo

Thankyou!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 22nw22

22nw22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had a hypo and forgot to retest until after 3. Oops. Luckily it wasn't too long since I had had it..

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ndaud606

Ndaud606 Type 1 · Newbie

Hey I have type 1 diabetes now for 6 years since 2012 and now im 18 and honestly with college and prepping for University, it's really hard to keep a control of my sugar levels and I'm doing carb counting but I have a fixed dose of lantus for bedtime of 28units from 44units (alot i know)it's because whenever I wake up Im always having hypos below 4 and it can even sometimes go all the way down to 1 point something and I literally try way more than 6 glucose tablets and fast acting snacks and it wont go up till about 1hr after smh soo much stress. Im thinking of lowering my bedtime insulin

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook