Hypo after hypo

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
So tonight I had a hypo of 3.2 and I treated with 3 glucotabs and I retested still 3.3. Waited again still 3.3. I finally came back up to 4.2 then after 15 minutes to make sure everything is okay I checked. I had dropped to 2.8 so I had 2 more glucotabs and my bloods are now 5.7
Does this happen to anyone else?

Reactions: Shaz43

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
So tonight I had a hypo of 3.2 and I treated with 3 glucotabs and I retested still 3.3. Waited again still 3.3. I finally came back up to 4.2 then after 15 minutes to make sure everything is okay I checked. I had dropped to 2.8 so I had 2 more glucotabs and my bloods are now 5.7
You need to eat something..do t just use glucotabs

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

leahkian

I think this is called the double dip you take only fast acting sugar which will wear off quick, so your BS dips again. Maybe next time have a your 3 tablets and something with long acting carbs toast, sandwich or a couple of plain biscuits but if you keep having hypos then you will need to reduce your insulin.

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did have this, I am the same age as you (I’m 15 also) and I have noticed that the older I got the more hypo treatment I needed, I used to have 3 glucose tablets, which is about 12g of carbs now I have Capri suns which is 20g of carbs as before it was not enough! I usually wait for about 20mins and if it’s during the night I may have a biscuit to keep them up during the night. Usually Capri suns can get me from 2.4 to 5.8 in about 25mins!! (If you do get them make sure you don’t get the sugar free ones!)

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Annoyingly I find every hypo is different. Sometimes if I treat with anything more than one glucose tablet I go sky high other times nothing seems enough! I’d recommend juice rather than tabs for quicker recovery.

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this is called the double dip you take only fast acting sugar which will wear off quick, so your BS dips again. Maybe next time have a your 3 tablets and something with long acting carbs toast, sandwich or a couple of plain biscuits but if you keep having hypos then you will need to reduce your insulin.

Thank you! I’ve had ketones yesterday took ages to get my bloods back to normal :(

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did have this, I am the same age as you (I’m 15 also) and I have noticed that the older I got the more hypo treatment I needed, I used to have 3 glucose tablets, which is about 12g of carbs now I have Capri suns which is 20g of carbs as before it was not enough! I usually wait for about 20mins and if it’s during the night I may have a biscuit to keep them up during the night. Usually Capri suns can get me from 2.4 to 5.8 in about 25mins!! (If you do get them make sure you don’t get the sugar free ones!)

Thank you so much!

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Hi diabeticmegxo. I'm T2, an oldie and not on Insulin but when I have a hypo I find a few jelly babies work quickly for me. I retest after about 10 mins to make sure my level is back in range then if is not meal time I have a small snack to keep my levels up. I keep small packs of about 6 jelly babies around and about so 'I don't get tempted to eat the lot! :D Maybe get advice from your DN???

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
once youve treated your hypo with sweets or tablets, then eat a biscuit so it will keep your bgs above 4

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi diabeticmegxo. I'm T2, an oldie and not on Insulin but when I have a hypo I find a few jelly babies work quickly for me. I retest after about 10 mins to make sure my level is back in range then if is not meal time I have a small snack to keep my levels up. I keep small packs of about 6 jelly babies around and about so 'I don't get tempted to eat the lot! :D Maybe get advice from your DN???

Thankyou!

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have a low hypo always take a long acting carb with the fast acting and watch your blood sugars for the next 24hour as your liver will have released its store of sugars and will such them back up with in 8-24 hours causing a 2nd hypo very likely called a rebound hypo. I used to get those a lot so ended up running high for 24hours after a bad hypo.

Reactions: 22nw22