Beer and blood sugar

Aaron D

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it...

Firstly, I understand alcohol will cause hypoglycemia by inhibiting the liver's release of glycogen into the blood stream. Got that here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/alcohol-and-hypoglycemia.html

And I also have read that beer contains calories and carbs, but virtually zero sugars--because they have been fermented out into alcohol. Not only a nasty Bud Light, but a good pale ale or an imperial stout, even, contains ZERO g of sugar! Got that from here (and other places): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/76068149

So my question is: Does consumption of beer contribute to a higher A1C number?

Background: I am called "pre-diabetic" by my doctor, but not diabetic yet. 59 years old, my BMI is under 20, I don't smoke and I cycle 100-150 km per week (sort of fast). I've adjusted to a low carb, high fat diet and feel great. Lots of anecdotal health improvements, and I've kept my A1C a couple tics below "diabetic" for 3-4 years now. I don't worry about hypos, because I don't medicate. I'd just like to enjoy a reasonable amount of real beer without the guilt trip.

This question of beer and blood sugar has had me aggravated for a long while--so much misinformation and dire warnings with NO explanation. This site is the very best I've found, so I'm putting it to you fine folks.

Thanks in advance!

A

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbohydrates
The amount of carbohydrates in beer can range from more than 25 g per 12 oz. to less then 3 g per 12 oz. in low carb beers. Again, Bass Ale falls in the middle with about 13 g of carbohydrates in a 12 oz. serving. This is about the same amount as is found in Stella Artois or Corona Extra.

from https://www.livestrong.com/article/297757-pale-ale-beer-calories/

I often find that MyFitnessPal info need checking : (

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
forgot to add - carbs are sugars. sugars are carbs. ou may want to get a bit more info on that, This is a good place:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

It says Keto on the front page, but it all about the carbs and how to find them and how many are in what.

Aaron D

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DOH! Sorry about that! That page was showing 0 g sugars until I hit the refresh button and it went to 6 g. Still not as bad as I expected, but now I'M the one one spreading disinformation!

Sam Smith was showing 0 g sugars, but it popped from 0 G to 18 g. That 0 got me all excited! I think it may be that it shows results for a 1 oz. serving by default and you have to manually choose 12 oz. Who drinks an ounce of beer and calls it a night?

Pretty dubious anyway. 61 g of protein in a Bass? 13 g of fat? Seems unlikely...

BassPaleAle.png
SamSmithImperialStout.png

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yeah, the livestrong link I put in my post up thread has a lot more reliable info on this, and others.

myfitnesspal is only what other people have put into their database. Its user led. I have just discovered that what I thought was the value for a 14g portion of butter is wrong. No wonder I am not losing weight.

Aaron D

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That diet doctor link is really good--thank you! I gotta make some of their granola bars...

Glad to see you and your cat avoiding gamma rays! or is it B-52s? Good idea either way.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That diet doctor link is really good--thank you! I gotta make some of their granola bars...

Glad to see you and your cat avoiding gamma rays! or is it B-52s? Good idea either way.
If I told you what I am avoiding, I would have to kill you................LOLOLOL

(wanders off whistling the theme tune from War of the Worlds)