1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Beer and blood sugar

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Aaron D, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Aaron D

Aaron D Prediabetes · Member

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it...

Firstly, I understand alcohol will cause hypoglycemia by inhibiting the liver's release of glycogen into the blood stream. Got that here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/alcohol-and-hypoglycemia.html

And I also have read that beer contains calories and carbs, but virtually zero sugars--because they have been fermented out into alcohol. Not only a nasty Bud Light, but a good pale ale or an imperial stout, even, contains ZERO g of sugar! Got that from here (and other places): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/76068149

So my question is: Does consumption of beer contribute to a higher A1C number?

Background: I am called "pre-diabetic" by my doctor, but not diabetic yet. 59 years old, my BMI is under 20, I don't smoke and I cycle 100-150 km per week (sort of fast). I've adjusted to a low carb, high fat diet and feel great. Lots of anecdotal health improvements, and I've kept my A1C a couple tics below "diabetic" for 3-4 years now. I don't worry about hypos, because I don't medicate. I'd just like to enjoy a reasonable amount of real beer without the guilt trip.

This question of beer and blood sugar has had me aggravated for a long while--so much misinformation and dire warnings with NO explanation. This site is the very best I've found, so I'm putting it to you fine folks.

Thanks in advance!

A

2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

from https://www.livestrong.com/article/297757-pale-ale-beer-calories/

I often find that MyFitnessPal info need checking : (

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lucylocket61

forgot to add - carbs are sugars. sugars are carbs. ou may want to get a bit more info on that, This is a good place:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

It says Keto on the front page, but it all about the carbs and how to find them and how many are in what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aaron D

DOH! Sorry about that! That page was showing 0 g sugars until I hit the refresh button and it went to 6 g. Still not as bad as I expected, but now I'M the one one spreading disinformation!

Sam Smith was showing 0 g sugars, but it popped from 0 G to 18 g. That 0 got me all excited! I think it may be that it shows results for a 1 oz. serving by default and you have to manually choose 12 oz. Who drinks an ounce of beer and calls it a night?

Pretty dubious anyway. 61 g of protein in a Bass? 13 g of fat? Seems unlikely...

BassPaleAle.png SamSmithImperialStout.png

5. lucylocket61

yeah, the livestrong link I put in my post up thread has a lot more reliable info on this, and others.

myfitnesspal is only what other people have put into their database. Its user led. I have just discovered that what I thought was the value for a 14g portion of butter is wrong. No wonder I am not losing weight.

6. Aaron D

That diet doctor link is really good--thank you! I gotta make some of their granola bars...

Glad to see you and your cat avoiding gamma rays! or is it B-52s? Good idea either way.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. lucylocket61

If I told you what I am avoiding, I would have to kill you................LOLOLOL

(wanders off whistling the theme tune from War of the Worlds)

• Funny Funny x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook