Broth?

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I havent been able to find an answer; cooking a home made broth is just NOT an option for me, and all the organic specialty ones are over $7 a box, which isnt possible either.

Is a broth like this okay for sipping while fasting?

http://www.campbellsoup.ca/en-ca/products/campbells-broths/campbells-ready-to-use-beef-broth
It's fine, but like anything else, if you're satisfied with that type of quality, go for it. I prefer to make my own because, frankly, I'm worth it. Up to you. It's your health and only you can decide.

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's fine, but like anything else, if you're satisfied with that type of quality, go for it. I prefer to make my own because, frankly, I'm worth it. Up to you. It's your health and only you can decide.

It's almost impossible for me to make it at home sadly, the cost would be more expensive than buying the $7 boxes. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything super special in the home made stuff, thanks!

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of butchers will sell bones very cheaply and a slow cooker is not bad on electric costs.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@tk123 I notice the nutrients listed in the Campbell broth you mention are almost all salt and carbohydrate, mainly salt. Home made broth does have more nutrients, (including fat, and protein in addition to salt) which helps to suppress appetite. Here is an example of nutrients in homemade for comparison to the example you give of ready made Campbell version..
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/homemade-beef-broth-from-cooking-meat-379192164

Jason Fung is good at explaining fasting.....

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/10/16/complete-guide-fasting.aspx

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's almost impossible for me to make it at home sadly, the cost would be more expensive than buying the $7 boxes. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything super special in the home made stuff, thanks!
It’s the stuff in the boxes that aren’t super special but we can only do what we can do. Home Meade is somuch tastier and nutritious. I admit to buying organic when I’m out of bones. Poultry tastes better than red meats to me. Search around. Prices vary

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'e already stated buying organic or making it at home isnt an option. I appreciate the responses, but it's just NOT a possibility for me. I am on an extremely limited income, and I do not have the time to make it, or the resources to get the ingredients.

If the boxed stuff is no good, I'll simple skip it, as the $2 can be put to buying other things that are useful.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @tk123
From the details given on the Campbell's website, their broth would be ok for your purposes, though obviously not for all daily nutrients. The 150ml portion size seems to me to be a bit small (for example, a UK average-sized mugful would be 250ml), so you might only get about 4-5 portions from each box. Thinking from a simplicity and cost view, possibly a powdered option might suit you as well - one where you just put a spoonful of stuff in a mug, pour boiling water over & give it a stir. Something like a 150g tub of Swiss bouillon would give about 30 mugs. Costs around £2 here - $2.82US, a bit more expensive but you gets more for your money! :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you need to sip broth anyway?

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @tk123
From the details given on the Campbell's website, their broth would be ok for your purposes, though obviously not for all daily nutrients. The 150ml portion size seems to me to be a bit small (for example, a UK average-sized mugful would be 250ml), so you might only get about 4-5 portions from each box. Thinking from a simplicity and cost view, possibly a powdered option might suit you as well - one where you just put a spoonful of stuff in a mug, pour boiling water over & give it a stir. Something like a 150g tub of Swiss bouillon would give about 30 mugs. Costs around £2 here - $2.82US, a bit more expensive but you gets more for your money! :)

I dont think we have the brand here, but I've had to give up powdered ones due to Celiac as they have wheat in them. I've only found one cube type that I can use, and honestly its 99% salt and tastes awful LOL.

It's looking like it might be easier to just not have it while fasting, sadly. I wanted to do it correctly. Is there an alternative that is actually cheap? (Like, people have suggested salt water to get your salt in while fasting) I live off about $50 a month. To put that in to perspective, chicken is $12 a pound.

Reactions: Salvia

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look for Kallo brand.. I have used them a few times I think amazon Canada may have them. Just add some butter for flavour..and fat of course!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think we have the brand here, but I've had to give up powdered ones due to Celiac as they have wheat in them. I've only found one cube type that I can use, and honestly its 99% salt and tastes awful LOL.

It's looking like it might be easier to just not have it while fasting, sadly. I wanted to do it correctly. Is there an alternative that is actually cheap? (Like, people have suggested salt water to get your salt in while fasting) I live off about $50 a month. To put that in to perspective, chicken is $12 a pound.

Sorry, I can't think of any other options just at the moment. Sadly the restrictions you have in terms of food tolerances, and funding, must make life pretty difficult for you. I've done a couple of quick currency conversions, which show the cost-of-living appears to be a lot higher in Canada than here; (my apols - I had thought you were in US), so it must be really hard to get by on only $50 a month - take my hat off to you!

Looks like it's the home-made salt water version for now, (or nothing) followed by spending a bit of time hanging around the stores, gazing at food labels (or the equivalent browsing on line) :meh:

Reactions: Kristin251
D

Deleted member 308541

When I was a kid living in the UK, I remember having a crumbled up Oxo cube stirred into boiling water for a hot drink. Tasted alright as well.

Best I could find in Canada is satchets at 16 for $3.00 from Walmart Canada, but they save you from crumbling them yourself.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/knorr-oxo-beef-sachets/6000136119445

Edit: I have had a look at the ingredients info, might be be to carbiforous for the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was a kid living in the UK, I remember having a crumbled up Oxo cube stirred into boiling water for a hot drink. Tasted alright as well.

Best I could find in Canada is satchets at 16 for $3.00 from Walmart Canada, but they save you from crumbling them yourself.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/knorr-oxo-beef-sachets/6000136119445

Edit: I have had a look at the ingredients info, might be be to carbiforous for the OP.

They have gluten in them, so I cant have them, thanks though!