1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Broth?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by tk123, Feb 4, 2018.

1. tk123

tk123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ah, I didnt realise you were in the US.

3. hognose

hognose Other · Well-Known Member

so whats the best way to make your own bone broth ?

4. uart

uart Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

Generally just by boiling (and then simmering) meat bones with some low carb vegetables. Traditionally broths were a convenient way of extracting some nutrition from bones, where those nutrients are otherwise hard for us to access and would typically go to waste. The nutrients come from mostly from the marrow and connective tissues, as well as residual meat on the bone and minerals from the bone itself.

When boiled up like this, some proteins fats and minerals are released into the broth. In particular, large marrow containing bones have a lot of nutrients that are otherwise fairly inaccessible. These are best cut up before making broth, and butchers will often sell cut up bones like this fairly cheaply.

Here are a couple of examples. Most bone broth recipes follow these general lines:
    http://recipes.mercola.com/bone-broth-recipe.aspx
    http://bloodsugarbasics.com/homemade-beef-bone-brothstock/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #24 uart, Feb 10, 2018 at 12:25 AM
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. Kailee56

Kailee56 LADA · Well-Known Member

I use the Knorr brand cubes. Not like homemade, but not so bad. I use them for the salt and to just have a taste of something. I sometimes add salt substitute for the potassium.

6. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Chicken breast might be $12/lb but you wouldn't use that for broth. Thighs are a whole lot cheaper and regularly come on sale for $1.89/lb at Superstore. Check out Walmart too. Making home made would solve your celiac issue. I know, I know, can't make it myself, but why not? Do you not have a stove/pot/slow cooker/fridge? Or just don't want to? It's difficult to provide suggestions when you keep throwing up roadblocks.

7. tk123

There are no thighs that cheap in my area. I'd eat chicken all the time if I could get it at prices like that! Walmart does not sell per pound here, just single priced flats at $10 for legs and thighs. And, I have no idea what a 'superstore' is unless you mean Walmart superstores?

There are many factors for not being able to make it at home, price being one of them, rules about leaving the stoves on for our building is another.
    I specifically asked about the boxed broth because there is no other option for me, sorry if that wasnt clear enough in the first post. I didnt want advice on making my own, just asking if the specific brand/type was good enough.

Because it seems as if it is not, I have decided not to do long term fasting and stick with my two meals a day + one meal on the weekends. The broth is no longer needed. Thanks for replying anyways!

8. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying. (I apologize, I thought you were in Canada. Superstore is a chain of stores in Canada known as either Real Canadian Superstore, Extra Foods, No Frills and I believe also Save On Foods stores.)

9. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Gluten Free Non wheat recipe not sure of price.

#29 bangkokdiabetic, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:04 AM
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  10. tk123

Ah, we have a No Frills about an hour and a half via public transit. I havent heard of the others though, but I am Canadian!

11. Kailee56

Kailee56 LADA · Well-Known Member

In the USA, there is LonoLife bone broth. It comes in single serving packets, k-cups, or a tub. It also comes in 3 flavors. I forgot about it because when I fast I also protein restrict. Here’s the site

https://lonolife.com/collections/bone-broth

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook