Forgetting to feel hungry

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I started feeling weird on Friday night and thought, uhoh, must be going low, test, everything's normal, go to write it down and suddenly see that between waking up at 5.45 am and doing that test at 4.30 pm I had eaten one two egg omelette which would probably explain feeling a bit weird and getting a test result of 4.2. We were at a trade show all day so there would have only been the snacks on the exhibition stands (which are always stuff I can't have) and c****y expensive exhibition centre restaurants (which I wouldn't normally go in anyway, but which are also full of stuff I can't have). I do not have an eating disorder, I know very well that I need to put on some weight, ideally muscle not fat but still, I have probably lost a bit since I was diagnosed and I had lost a load then. The thing is, I am now so used to ignoring hunger that I am forgetting to eat even when I really should. When I am working normally it's easier because there are breaks for lunch and (if we go that early/late) breakfast or dinner but on days I'm not working I have had several where I just forgot to eat around midday.

Is it just me?

Edited by moderator for language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freema

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Not just you. I often miss out lunch because I'm not hungry.
Although It's not that I am ignoring hunger...

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's breakfast for me but it's usually a concious decision that I just don't feel hungry that morning and have a mug of tea instead. Happens to be convenient in that breakfast is the meal I tend to need the longest pre bolus for.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I'm a breakfast skipper.

Either a brunch or lunch. Then tea/supper.. However if I have a gig that night? I may have lunch before 1pm then not touch anything till after the gig.. (By that time when I come down off the show I'm starving..) Could be a good 12 hour fast..?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I quite often don't feel hungry, but eat because it's time to eat.

The one exception is whenever I'm working with anything preserved in formaldehyde, it makes me ridiculously hungry.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I quite often don't feel hungry, but eat because it's time to eat.

The one exception is whenever I'm working with anything preserved in formaldehyde, it makes me ridiculously hungry.
Don't know whether to laugh or be creeped out!

Reactions: Freema and Dodo

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah, I'm similar. I don't have breakfast (can't stomach any food at that time in the morning), which would be fine except that some days, meetings at work preclude me from having lunch until 3pm. Strangely though, I never hypo. I guess my liver can keep churning out enough glucose to keep me safe.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've started to not have a breakfast, so not eating until perhaps 1pm, after eating at 6pm the evening before, so that's 19hours of fasting. I'm not a big fan of it and did get quite hungry, but surprisingly the hunger really kicked in about 3 hours after my first meal. So when I had food, the hunger intensified. It won't be for too long anyway, just trying it out.

If you can put a couple of boiled eggs in a lunch box, some nuts and cheese maybe for while you are away from work at a show or something.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hungry from opening my eyes on a morning to going to sleep on a night, but this morning I'm starving as my waking blood was 16, so I'm waiting for it to come down before I eat breakfast.

It's so so tempting to raid the 90g bag of salted nut on the side @ 5g carbs but I'd best wait for my porridge :)

I've never understood the words "not hungry"....

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Same here, the only time I'm not hungry is if my sugars are higher than about 18-20 (but that may just be because it makes me feel a bit grotty) or I'm ill.
Can't do anything in the morning until I've eaten something.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I don’t eat in the morning I find more problems with the dawn phenomenon. Only have 10g of carbs but still loads of insulin, and have to wait half an hour before eating that. Breakfast was my favourite meal of the day. Not any more, it is a means to an end. On the plus side I can now eat the porridge at night that I can no longer eat in the morning. Go figure!
Though most days, we eat at 2/3 pm and I don’t eat again til 6/7am the next day. A good fast. It’s just that nice cereal brekkie I miss.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know whether to laugh or be creeped out!

I mean, you already knew about me being a zombie, right?

How do you think I ended up here? One of my zombie friends had my pancreas for supper, garnished with some autonomic nervous system.

:D

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am so tired of omelettes. Every. Single. Meal.
You don't need to have omelettes all the time, cos whilst I do like eggs, I would get very bored if that's all I was eating.
As a type 1 you can eat stuff with carbs in it, you just have to work out how much insulin you need - and it will be trial and error, error is a part of learning.
Yes you may find out it works better doing lower carbs than some, but that doesn't mean you can't eat any, you may find you can tolerate carbs much better at some times of the days than at other times, there are lots of maybe's here.

annieblade

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I started feeling weird on Friday night and thought, uhoh, must be going low, test, everything's normal, go to write it down and suddenly see that between waking up at 5.45 am and doing that test at 4.30 pm I had eaten one two egg omelette which would probably explain feeling a bit weird and getting a test result of 4.2. We were at a trade show all day so there would have only been the snacks on the exhibition stands (which are always stuff I can't have) and c****y expensive exhibition centre restaurants (which I wouldn't normally go in anyway, but which are also full of stuff I can't have). I do not have an eating disorder, I know very well that I need to put on some weight, ideally muscle not fat but still, I have probably lost a bit since I was diagnosed and I had lost a load then. The thing is, I am now so used to ignoring hunger that I am forgetting to eat even when I really should. When I am working normally it's easier because there are breaks for lunch and (if we go that early/late) breakfast or dinner but on days I'm not working I have had several where I just forgot to eat around midday.

Is it just me?

Edited by moderator for language.
I almost never feel hungry so much as knowing I need carbs - or have had too many. Its weird.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most days I just wanna eat eat and eat!!! Since moving to MDI I have been doing just that*

*Only when levels allow me to tho!!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I can also jump into the giant volcano at the end of Lord of the Rings, I'm not going to.
There's plenty of stuff that's not omelettes though. Fantastic chilli today with 10g carbs per portion. Just takes a bit of imagination.

Reactions: Tabzmcfc

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hungry from opening my eyes on a morning to going to sleep on a night, but this morning I'm starving as my waking blood was 16, so I'm waiting for it to come down before I eat breakfast.

It's so so tempting to raid the 90g bag of salted nut on the side @ 5g carbs but I'd best wait for my porridge :)

I'm type 1 can honestly say I never feel hungry I eat solely to keep the bloods in good order for the insulin.