1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Forgetting to feel hungry

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by NoKindOfSusie, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Shiba Park

Shiba Park Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Busted! You are Damian Hurst and I claim my £5!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Shiba Park

But without carbs there's a good chance your liver is running on empty... This would make avoiding typos much harder. Gluconeogenesis is much slower at recharging the battery. I learnt this the hard way in my early days.

3. NoKindOfSusie

NoKindOfSusie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's absolutely fine, I would rather that than end up with huge spikes all over the place.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shiba Park

Your choice, your rollercoaster ride...

There is an infinite number of shades of grey between black and white. Eating carbs does not necessarily mean eating lots of carbs and having massive spikes. And if you are fed up with omelettes experiment with something different! OK, some things might not work for you but keep going until you find something that does. But do bear in mind that without reserves in your liver you could be dancing on a knife edge.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. wendy0804

wendy0804 Type 1 · Member

Kevin, you are a man after my own heart!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. lmc

lmc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wonder why so many of us are never hungry. I eat purely because I have to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Eat something different and have fun eating it

• Like Like x 1
  8. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

How about olives, avocado, cheese, nuts, cold meats? They’d make a change from interminable omelettes x

• Like Like x 1
  9. NoKindOfSusie

NoKindOfSusie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There's a certain ratio of time to prepare versus fillingness which is quite important. I have been making a lot of chicken salads but they're involved.

The big problem is what to do on days where I've done lots and lots of physical running around at work, often couldn't or didn't eat lunch and the hunger gets strong enough to overcome the diabetic hunger obliviousness (is that a term? Is that a complication?) Anyway at that point I'm usually getting home and from the tube to my place I have to pass a subway (no) a Chinese takeout (no) and a Papa John's pizza (oh hell no) and it is not very lovely.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I feel your pain on the takeaways. I’ve got a fish and chip shop six doors away and It. Smells. Amazing. It’s torture when you’re hungry. But I’ve found fatty snacks keep the cravings at bay. I drive a lot, so grab a tub of olives a chunk of cheese and a bag of nuts for the road. No preparation and easy to nibble on the run. If you’re not eating carbs, you need to get your energy from fat x

[Edited by moderator for language.]

• Like Like x 1
    #30 LooperCat, Feb 10, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2018
  11. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm almost always hungry so I certainly don't forget about food! Diabetes definitely messes with your appetite though: sometimes you are forced to eat when you don't want to, and sometimes when you want to eat you decide not to if you are high. Can you set alerts on your phone to remind you to have snacks/meals?

12. idkatten

idkatten Type 1 · Member

I'm type 1 diabetes through 35 years. The feeling of hunger has for me only to do with the blood sugar level. When I have low or normal blood sugar I feel absolutely no hunger and only eat because I have to. When the sugar go high 10 to 14 I get hungry and have to keep myself not eating, so it is also a way to know the blood sugar level without checking When I am really hungry - Don't eat ! and when not hungry - Eat !

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook