Retinopathy eye test

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from this year's trip.
Apparently my eyesight is better (new glasses) than in 2017. My diet controlled HbA1c is a bit high at 28! (No it's not I said I just use up to date numbers...Oh she says we're old school here.. ***),
Eye drops in.. more stingy than last year I'm sure.
Different photographer to last year (who said she wasn't allowed to discuss the images with me).
This one said lets check these are ok .. ooo yes your mild retinopathy has cleared up well done!
So it looks like keto can also help with retinopathy.... yippee!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done - impressive results reversing another condition congratulations to you well earned and well deserved

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff @bulkbiker Fingers crossed the official results come back clear after they've been looked at on the "big screen" I'm always being told about when I go. (as a reason for not telling me there and then)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff @bulkbiker Fingers crossed the official results come back clear after they've been looked at on the "big screen" I'm always being told about when I go. (as a reason for not telling me there and then)
Indeed.. I'll have to wait 5 weeks probably before hearing anything from the surgery but I have my fingers and toes crossed!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

It is interesting that in the UK you have this fairly sophisticated retinopathy test. When I had my first test a year ago shortly after the T2 diagnosis, the doctor looked as my eyes through some gadget and told me immediately that there was no sign of retinopathy. I don't think she took a photo, or an image.

My next annual retinopathy/eye test is next week, so I will ask about this.

Edited to add: I am in the USA.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

It is interesting that in the UK you have this fairly sophisticated retinopathy test. When I had my first test a year ago shortly after the T2 diagnosis, the doctor looked as my eyes through some gadget and told me immediately that there was no sign of retinopathy. I don't think she took a photo, or an image.

The way I understand it, (could be wrong) Some bright bloke shines loads of light in to your eyes, has a good look around, and tells you it's all clear. Then takes a few pictures they send off to the hospital to confirm. Then pack you out to stagger around in the sun, like a vampire on a good day to the local Greggs/skinny salad bar.
I've been fine for a good few years, I was told by the bloke that did it for a living, then the NHS sent me a letter telling me he was right.
I can still see, I can still drive, so it's good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

Edited to add: I am in the USA.
Photo of retina taken after some nasty drops are put in the eye to open the pupiI I think.
In the UK test they compare the recent nones with the previous year's picture to look for anything getting worse (or luckily in my case better).

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done BB. You should be the Poster Boy for Keto!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!
I can’t boast an HbA1c in the 20s ;) but my last eye test was better than the last too. :D

The guy examined the photos side by side and said
‘Interesting. They usually deteriorate a little, but yours have improved.’
So i said
‘Well, i low carb to control my blood glucose.’
And he replied with
‘Yup, that’ll do it.’ And grinned at me.

(Edited to add: This was a standard optician on the high street, not an NHS diabetic eye test)

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Received a letter with my Retinopathy result today as well.

It includes helpful “tips” to avoid “developing sight threatening diabetic retinopathy in the future”

Number 1: Aim to control your blood sugar levels as well as possible

Wow.....hadn’t thought of trying that

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well done it's great when they tell you your retinopathy has gone isn't it.:)

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!
I can’t boast an HbA1c in the 20s ;) but my last eye test was better than the last too. :D

The guy examined the photos side by side and said
‘Interesting. They usually deteriorate a little, but yours have improved.’
So i said
‘Well, i low carb to control my blood glucose.’
And he replied with
‘Yup, that’ll do it.’ And grinned at me.

(Edited to add: This was a standard optician on the high street, not an NHS diabetic eye test)

I've been cruising this site for years.
The 20's would scare the s**t out of me.
Or at least show my life had took a strange turn.

But I guess we all have to lay our demons out, so full marks to the op for being single minded, and chasing them into the shadows.
Respect.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Apparently my eyesight is better (new glasses) than in 2017. My diet controlled HbA1c is a bit high at 28! (No it's not I said I just use up to date numbers...Oh she says we're old school here.. ***),
Different photographer to last year (who said she wasn't allowed to discuss the images with me).
This one said lets check these are ok .. ooo yes your mild retinopathy has cleared up well done!
Really pleased for you!

Reactions: bulkbiker

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

WD BB, same here. Background retinopathy last year, all clear this year. LCHF initially transforming into keto and IF,

Regards

Bluebell

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been cruising this site for years.
The 20's would scare the s**t out of me.
Or at least show my life had took a strange turn.

But I guess we all have to lay our demons out, so full marks to the op for being single minded, and chasing them into the shadows.
Respect.
Why would the 20's scare you? My bloods are usually in the 5's all the time (that's my aim anyway). With the odd 4's and a few 3's when extended fasting (which I haven't done for a while). No adverse effects just a benefit of a ketogenic diet.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would the 20's scare you? My bloods are usually in the 5's all the time (that's my aim anyway). With the odd 4's and a few 3's when extended fasting (which I haven't done for a while). No adverse effects just a benefit of a ketogenic diet.

Cracking.
I don't really have time to pursue the low carb malarkey.
But if I ever do have any diabetes complications, I know I can reverse them with low carb, so then I'll give it up, and devote all my time to it if it pops up on the horizon.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cracking.
I don't really have time to pursue the low carb malarkey.
But if I ever do have any diabetes complications, I know I can reverse them with low carb, so then I'll give it up, and devote all my time to it if it pops up on the horizon.

I find that approach a bit odd... you'll wait until you get complications before acting?
Each to their own but it's hardly a big thing to eat bacon and steak...

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that approach a bit odd... you'll wait until you get complications before acting?
Each to their own but it's hardly a big thing to eat bacon and steak...

Exactly mate.
This site gives the golden bullet to diabetics.
I have no issues at the moment.
Nothing, I'm good, but I'm not that dumb, I do have all the checks.
But if I do fall over, roll on the cure with bacon and steak as you say..
Tried and tested to reverse complications.
You reversed yours, I reckon we can all follow your lead?
Don't get me wrong, I don't want complications, it's just good to know there is a way out, and then I can look at my life, my job, so I have a few years yet for me.

Like I said, respect for the way you have gone.