Forgetting to feel hungry

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I quite often don't feel hungry, but eat because it's time to eat.

The one exception is whenever I'm working with anything preserved in formaldehyde, it makes me ridiculously hungry.
Busted! You are Damian Hurst and I claim my £5!

Reactions: Freema

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can also jump into the giant volcano at the end of Lord of the Rings, I'm not going to.
But without carbs there's a good chance your liver is running on empty... This would make avoiding typos much harder. Gluconeogenesis is much slower at recharging the battery. I learnt this the hard way in my early days.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But without carbs there's a good chance your liver is running on empty... This would make avoiding typos much harder. Gluconeogenesis is much slower at recharging the battery. I learnt this the hard way in my early days.

That's absolutely fine, I would rather that than end up with huge spikes all over the place.

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's absolutely fine, I would rather that than end up with huge spikes all over the place.
Your choice, your rollercoaster ride...

There is an infinite number of shades of grey between black and white. Eating carbs does not necessarily mean eating lots of carbs and having massive spikes. And if you are fed up with omelettes experiment with something different! OK, some things might not work for you but keep going until you find something that does. But do bear in mind that without reserves in your liver you could be dancing on a knife edge.

wendy0804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm hungry from opening my eyes on a morning to going to sleep on a night, but this morning I'm starving as my waking blood was 16, so I'm waiting for it to come down before I eat breakfast.

It's so so tempting to raid the 90g bag of salted nut on the side @ 5g carbs but I'd best wait for my porridge :)

I've never understood the words "not hungry"....
Kevin, you are a man after my own heart!

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder why so many of us are never hungry. I eat purely because I have to.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How about olives, avocado, cheese, nuts, cold meats? They’d make a change from interminable omelettes x

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about olives, avocado, cheese, nuts, cold meats? They’d make a change from interminable omelettes x
There's a certain ratio of time to prepare versus fillingness which is quite important. I have been making a lot of chicken salads but they're involved.

The big problem is what to do on days where I've done lots and lots of physical running around at work, often couldn't or didn't eat lunch and the hunger gets strong enough to overcome the diabetic hunger obliviousness (is that a term? Is that a complication?) Anyway at that point I'm usually getting home and from the tube to my place I have to pass a subway (no) a Chinese takeout (no) and a Papa John's pizza (oh hell no) and it is not very lovely.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I feel your pain on the takeaways. I’ve got a fish and chip shop six doors away and It. Smells. Amazing. It’s torture when you’re hungry. But I’ve found fatty snacks keep the cravings at bay. I drive a lot, so grab a tub of olives a chunk of cheese and a bag of nuts for the road. No preparation and easy to nibble on the run. If you’re not eating carbs, you need to get your energy from fat x

[Edited by moderator for language.]

Last edited by a moderator:

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I started feeling weird on Friday night and thought, uhoh, must be going low, test, everything's normal, go to write it down and suddenly see that between waking up at 5.45 am and doing that test at 4.30 pm I had eaten one two egg omelette which would probably explain feeling a bit weird and getting a test result of 4.2. We were at a trade show all day so there would have only been the snacks on the exhibition stands (which are always stuff I can't have) and c****y expensive exhibition centre restaurants (which I wouldn't normally go in anyway, but which are also full of stuff I can't have). I do not have an eating disorder, I know very well that I need to put on some weight, ideally muscle not fat but still, I have probably lost a bit since I was diagnosed and I had lost a load then. The thing is, I am now so used to ignoring hunger that I am forgetting to eat even when I really should. When I am working normally it's easier because there are breaks for lunch and (if we go that early/late) breakfast or dinner but on days I'm not working I have had several where I just forgot to eat around midday.

Is it just me?

Edited by moderator for language.

I feel like I'm almost always hungry so I certainly don't forget about food! Diabetes definitely messes with your appetite though: sometimes you are forced to eat when you don't want to, and sometimes when you want to eat you decide not to if you are high. Can you set alerts on your phone to remind you to have snacks/meals?

idkatten

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm type 1 diabetes through 35 years. The feeling of hunger has for me only to do with the blood sugar level. When I have low or normal blood sugar I feel absolutely no hunger and only eat because I have to. When the sugar go high 10 to 14 I get hungry and have to keep myself not eating, so it is also a way to know the blood sugar level without checking When I am really hungry - Don't eat ! and when not hungry - Eat !

Reactions: SueJB