Which meter should I get?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
I really need to get a meter but am bamboozled by the choice. I thought the Accucheck mobile looked very user friendly because of the cartridge of stripsm barrel of lances, etc. BUT when I looked at the cost of said cartridges etc in Boots I think it would cost about £125 per month. Am I missing something...are there deals elsewhere? I dont necessarily want the cheapest but would like something user friendly. Any advice welcome?

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been using the Codefree meter for a year. It's definitely the running costs that you need to consider. I'll try and find a link for you

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the SD Code Free too. You can get them from Home Health, link below.
I get supplies of strips and lancets direct from Home Health too using the following discount codes:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

https://homehealth-uk.com/my-account/

Don't forget to check the box stating you have diabetes and the VAT is deducted

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I paid almost a fiver for TEN Accuchek strips in Boots the other day!!! I usually get them off Amazon where they are a bit cheaper. However, I've now ordered an SD Codefree. Thanks guys!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I paid almost a fiver for TEN Accuchek strips in Boots the other day!!! I usually get them off Amazon where they are a bit cheaper. However, I've now ordered an SD Codefree. Thanks guys!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I will look on Amazon for the Codefree etc. Is the finger pricking bit straightforward? Thats the bit that worries me most.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I will look on Amazon for the Codefree etc. Is the finger pricking bit straightforward? Thats the bit that worries me most.

You can use the Accu Chek Fastclix lancet device with any meter. They are far more user friendly than the device that comes with the Codefree. You can buy them (and the drum refills) from any pharmacy. I have 2 because I live in fear of breaking one and having to use a different type!! The finger pricking with the Fastclix could not be more straight forward.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can use the Accu Chek Fastclix lancet device with any meter. They are far more user friendly than the device that comes with the Codefree. You can buy them (and the drum refills) from any pharmacy. I have 2 because I live in fear of breaking one and having to use a different type!! The finger pricking with the Fastclix could not be more straight forward.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You only get 6 lances in each drum and at £5.49 for bare daily minimum that must cost you £150 a month or have I misunderstood this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You only get 6 lances in each drum and at £5.49 for bare daily minimum that must cost you £150 a month or have I misunderstood this?

There are 6 lancets in a drum. There are over 200 drums in a large box. I bought a box 4 years ago and it isn't empty yet! I test at least 6 times a day, every day. I think you will find that the majority of us ignore the "single use" only. I only change my lancet when it gets blunt, starts to hurt, or doesn't draw enough blood. I've never had any infections or problems. Of course, the decision is entirely up to you whether you change it every test. You can buy them on eBay and Amazon a lot cheaper than Boots.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have gone on Amazon and ordered the Codefree and supply of strips. Also the Fastclix and supply of drums. Again everyones input has really helped me. Thank you all so much. I would be truly lost without your help. X

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's easy if your fingers are warm. It's tough squeezing the blood out if they're cold!(Learned the hard way)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have gone on Amazon and ordered the Codefree and supply of strips. Also the Fastclix and supply of drums. Again everyones input has really helped me. Thank you all so much. I would be truly lost without your help. X
good news. I also have a SD Codefree and have been using mine for 6 years now. I use the same lancet all day, change it every 24 hours because I am either a wimp about a semi blunt lancet, or have sensitive fingers.

I use the sides of my fingertips to get the blood, and use a different finger each time. I only re-use my lancets on myself. When members of my family wanted a go, to check their bloods every so often, I use a fresh one for each of them. Blood poisoning is a thing, so avoid sharing a lancet.

All the best : )

Reactions: James13