Which meter should I get?

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I love My Dario. Have tried many others and settled on Dario. Your Smartphone becomes your meter.

Reactions: Olufisayo

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
Accu Chek is user friendly. I first bought Fine Test but couldn’t use it because I found the test process complicating. The test strips were wasted, then I went to buy Accu Chek. I’ve never had problem with it.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
I love My Dario. Have tried many others and settled on Dario. Your Smartphone becomes your meter.

This interesting. It will cost a fortune in my country if it ever comes in. But how much is it.

jJax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried asking your GP practice - mine gives me prescriptions for both the machine and the test strips?

salar zangana

Hi,
Last time I was using On Call Plus where it comes with code but recently (last week) I found a code-free Glucometer, so far its good. try to find it if you wish. It's (Freestyle) from Abbott. I got a promotion as well, I just bought the strips and got the Glucometer for free as well with free 10 lancets.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
This interesting. It will cost a fortune in my country if it ever comes in. But how much is it.
I see that you are located in Nigeria. You could check to see if it can be imported from one of the distribution countries (UK, Canada, USA, France, Germany). I see that the "Global" link goes to the UK site. http://mydario.co.uk
Here, in Canada, https://shop.mydario.ca/?taga=ca
Starter kit is $79.98 CDN
Like all meter systems it is the strips that cost the most.

Last edited:

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use anything that has cheap strips. I started with the SD code free, then went on to Care Sens Duo, After which I found some no-name Chinese ones on eBay, at £5 for 50 strips, I used those for a couple of months, Now I'm using the Glucomen LX2, I found strips on eBay for less than £5 for 50 strips, I stocked up. I have just learnt I could get meters and strips on prescription, I'll ask at the practice I go to at my next visit in March.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was also given an AC Mobile by my nurse, along with one cartridge and a few lancet tubs, but no repeat prescriptions of course, so I had to buy my own. After about 4 months the cost of the cartridges became too much so I bought the Codefree and used that exclusively for a couple of years. I got fed up of the inconvenience of having several things to carry about with me (although I continued to use the wonderful Fastclix lancet pen) and also the inconsistency of the Codefree, so went back to the Accu Chek, which I have used exclusively now for over 12 months. It is a brilliant meter, consistent readings, and only one item to carry about with no risk of contamination from handling strips. Other than the cost of the cartridges I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Hello Bluetit, I'd really appreciate more details, as I've been experiencing lots of frustratingly inconsistent readings with both the Codefree and the TEE2. Which AccuChek did you buy? I don't care much about the transportability but I do care about using a small blood sample, speed, and of course about accurate results. I don't need a new lancet gun and I have enough lancets for a lifetime, given that I rarely change them. I see Boots sell AccuChek - do you know if they are any dearer than any other vendors?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I received codefree strips within two day's, bayer would take a matter of weeks when I purchased items from them.
Interesting! I have found TEE2 much faster than Codefree, and their customer service is far better, as is their provision of free batteries etc. I seem to be a bit improvident in waiting to the last moment before ordering new strips, and Spirit/TEE2 have saved my bacon more than once. They seem to send by first class post, whereas Codefree tend to use Hermes, who are nothing if not unreliable.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Bluetit, I'd really appreciate more details, as I've been experiencing lots of frustratingly inconsistent readings with both the Codefree and the TEE2. Which AccuChek did you buy? I don't care much about the transportability but I do care about using a small blood sample, speed, and of course about accurate results. I don't need a new lancet gun and I have enough lancets for a lifetime, given that I rarely change them. I see Boots sell AccuChek - do you know if they are any dearer than any other vendors?

I didn't buy mine. I got my first one from the nurse, and after 3 years asked Accu Chek for a replacement, which they sent me for free. It is the Accu Chek Mobile. However, the cassette strips are about the most expensive there are. About £30 for 50 tests or thereabouts full price. I buy mine from eBay for considerably less than that. I find them far more consistent than the Codefree, although you do get the odd spread of consecutive readings, but nowhere near as many as with the Codefree, and I can't say there are many wild ones. There is a knack to using them though and you may spoil a few at first until you get the hang of it. If you register the meter on the AC Mobile website that entitles you to free batteries and control solution, and a carrying case. Plus, if the meter gets a bit old or breaks or whatever they will replace it. They replaced mine when there was nothing wrong with it, it was just 3 years old. I love mine and wouldn't change it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting! I have found TEE2 much faster than Codefree, and their customer service is far better, as is their provision of free batteries etc. I seem to be a bit improvident in waiting to the last moment before ordering new strips, and Spirit/TEE2 have saved my bacon more than once. They seem to send by first class post, whereas Codefree tend to use Hermes, who are nothing if not unreliable.

I haven't used Codefree for over 12 months, but found Home Health customer services brilliant by phone, less so by email. I had no trouble getting replacement tubs when I complained about inconsistencies, although I did send them some comparison details. When several of us complained about the same batch number (a few years ago now) they did their own comparison tests using office staff as guinea pigs for being tested, and also asked the manufacturer in Korea (think it is Korea) to do some quality checks against other well known meters, which they did, and they sent the results to me. I can't praise them enough.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance

I have been using A/C Mobile for a couple of years now and can’t rate it highly enough, it’s so easy to use and the design means that you aren’t carrying around several different bits. Look up their UK phone number online and give em ring to ask them to supply you with one, the customer service is first class

Livewire27

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really like my Dario. It was a bit fiddly at first and I wasted some strips in getting the hang of it but now it works just fine and is very handy to travel with - I travel a lot. I don't know if I can get the strips on NHS, I will ask my GP who is super helpful.